Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

MFC $2,700

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: MFC $2,700

Postby BWD » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:12 am

I thought kiting with 633 was about low end without race gear and making tacks and jibes without using an “uncool” wing, as much as waves...

stevez
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil freeride and wave
Gear: BRM cloud
Stringy foil XL
Homemade board
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby stevez » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:00 am

NYKiter wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:02 pm
Its the new flavor of the month....
It may be a passing phase. I'm more curious about the next generation of higher aspect surf wings to come out like the Albatross.
Thats the wing that seems to be taking the surf foiling world by storm, and I'm sure it will appeal to freeride
kitefoilers seeking efficiency and glide for low powered wave riding.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:03 am

stevez wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:00 am
NYKiter wrote:
It may be a passing phase. I'm more curious about the next generation of higher aspect surf wings to come out like the Albatross.
Thats the wing that seems to be taking the surf foiling world by storm, and I'm sure it will appeal to freeride
Maybe. I think the trade off will be that higher aspect means slower turning. But if good enough for the surfers, should work for kiters too.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:27 am

Kiters will have much more problem with breaching on upwind leg. Surfers did not goes upwind :)

Anyway - albatross looks very impressive

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:07 pm

slowboat wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:03 am
stevez wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:00 am
NYKiter wrote:
Maybe. I think the trade off will be that higher aspect means slower turning. But if good enough for the surfers, should work for kiters too.
I think your right. The vids of the albatross are impressive, but the wave riding doesn't look like what I would like to do with a kite. You have to watch the vid of that guy pumping out for 50 something little waves and get over the amazement of the feat itself and look at the surfing. You can see he's working for those slow large arc turns. Not at all what I want with a kite.

Too large a wingspan and it will really limit the kiting. We lean the mast over at much steeper angles than the surfers, who are happy enough just to catch and ride something a surface board can't.

I would love to know the wingspan of the MFC foils if someone would be so kind? At the moment they also only come with a 70cm mast. They have a kite set up in the works that will be a 1000cm wing on a 90cm mast, but its not out yet.

Return to “Hydrofoil”