Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Recommendation Good footstraps for foil board?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
richy-c
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Ozone Moses Shinn Best
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Recommendation Good footstraps for foil board?

Postby richy-c » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:49 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:51 am
Macster wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:15 am
Is there a half hook option for boards that dont have a single front foot strap I.e. two angled front straps?
I just use 2 foot hooks in place of 2 front straps on my board . The NSI ones have a lot of scope for angle adjustment and I'd be surprised if that wasn't the same for any of the other brands. As long as you have 2 screw holes you can get a decent position. You want them on the outside angled in towards the centre of the board. I end up with my toes overlapping the opposing hook a little - if that helps to understand the position - although there is plenty of opportunity to shuffle your feet around for comfort.

I'm happy that the position is secure enough to jump my foil with although I have heard of half straps breaking after lots of use.

Ultimately it depends on what you want. If you want to boost big you are probably better to stick to regular straps. For my small jumps (5m and less as I prefer to fly a small kite in light winds than be powered up) its less of a problem. They still restrict where you can put your feet a little but its easy to inch your feet in and out of the hooks so moving around on the board is a lot easier.
A guy told me he had problems with his lines getting caught on foot hooks have you had any trouble?

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:37 pm

richy-c wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:49 pm
nothing2seehere wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:51 am
Macster wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:15 am
Is there a half hook option for boards that dont have a single front foot strap I.e. two angled front straps?
I just use 2 foot hooks in place of 2 front straps on my board . The NSI ones have a lot of scope for angle adjustment and I'd be surprised if that wasn't the same for any of the other brands. As long as you have 2 screw holes you can get a decent position. You want them on the outside angled in towards the centre of the board. I end up with my toes overlapping the opposing hook a little - if that helps to understand the position - although there is plenty of opportunity to shuffle your feet around for comfort.

I'm happy that the position is secure enough to jump my foil with although I have heard of half straps breaking after lots of use.

Ultimately it depends on what you want. If you want to boost big you are probably better to stick to regular straps. For my small jumps (5m and less as I prefer to fly a small kite in light winds than be powered up) its less of a problem. They still restrict where you can put your feet a little but its easy to inch your feet in and out of the hooks so moving around on the board is a lot easier.
A guy told me he had problems with his lines getting caught on foot hooks have you had any trouble?
Its possible I guess, but it doesn't hold any particular special concern for me. I have had my foil caught in my lines a couple of times and managed to keep the kite flying whilst I manipulated it out again (didn't want to relaunch it as it was pretty light wind) so you should have an even chance of sorting it out if it happens? I guess you'd need to crash the kite and let go of the foil at the same time to do it?

Ultimately, there's a lot of risk of stuff going wrong with foiling - its not for the risk averse. Worst case I'd suggest flagging out, packing down and swimming back. At least in that case the board doesn't get too far away from you so you should be able to get everything back to shore and that's a positive :D

baxterbradford
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth, UK
Gear: Foil, surfboard, twintip & 8-18m kites
Has thanked: 0

Postby baxterbradford » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:56 pm

I have wide, big feet UK12 and have found it better to screw the straps one hole wider than corresponding position in block, ie if using front hole on front screw, use 2nd hole on rear screw. Think my straps are Fanatic which went longer than a Da Kine set I tried, they are fine with wetboots on too with plenty of adjustment left.

Return to “Hydrofoil”