Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Re: How High can you go with 633-790 Moses wings

Postby cwood » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:21 pm

downunder wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:59 pm
Why Im not surprised that no one talks about jumping?

With no body armor please. Helmet is ok tho ;)
I think you could learn to pop it well and it's not a terribly slow wing so it might work out ok from a launch perspective....the issues as others have stated is the sheer surface area on landing. This thing is like landing on a cafeteria tray when flat. I think a high probability of hurting yourself or breaking the wing unless perfect soft landings are achieved.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:55 pm

windmaker wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:04 am

For jumping speed is the most important thing as this will give more power to your kite which is the main factor for height and hang time. So bigger slower wing not the best solution and that's without even mentioning landings.
You nailed it. Speed! It's hard for me to break my usual habit of keeping the nose up when I jump on a twintip. You are supposed to enter the wing like an airplane nose down and then flare but sometimes I forget and make the wing do a bellyflop on the water.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Foil » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:23 am

I believe the kite is the governing factor here with any size of wing set.
any of us who have used foi kites for jumping Ttips know you don't need to be overpowered to get great height easily, even edging hard with a foil kite is not that important, just get good speed a little ramp (or not) and pull in,
with good line tension, and good timing, up you go, and the more powered up the higher you go, amazing feeling, so different than using a tube,
and very importantly you float down again under much more control than you can ever achieve on a tube kite,
unless I ever change my kites back to foil kites I cant see me ever jumping my foil board, I glide around with much less powerful kites, even my 2 largest kites are single strut and not the best for jumping on my Ttip,
I had a go at jumping on my foil board set up, and it was just not right for jumping, woefully underpowered, feet too far apart, it just felt all wrong,
to be honest the only guys who I have seen jumping with ease and grace are foil kite users.
If the need to jump ever becomes a big factor in me enjoying my foil board experience then its the kite I will change, not any of my wings.
Or just go out on my Ttip overpowered on my 9mtr. now that's real jumping enjoyment (with little risk)

maybe over the coming years and rising skill levels then jumping may be an option, but jumping is not my must do factor which is directly opposite to when I was in my early years of TTiping when jumping was the biggest thing by far.
The foil board for me and many others, is all about- on the wave carves, turns on the fly, wave gliding, speed with ease, light wind skill sets, turning trickery, and turning every day into a foiling day.

Return to “Hydrofoil”