Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Buying advice for a beginner

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
flying doctor
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Buying advice for a beginner

Postby flying doctor » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:14 pm

I want to jump on the HF bandwagon this year so would like some advice.
Buying a HF without any experience is a bit daunting, I've been a 'regular' kiteboarder since 2001 but I've understood that doesn't count for much.
To make it concrete: quite a lot of naish gear on sale where I live. Hover sets from 2017 around 600-800 euros and more expensive as it gets newer.
Is there a good reason to get newer material because it will last longer in terms of progress?
Thanks in advance!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Buying advice for a beginner

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:30 pm

A good question - but you have to be a bit more specific - list the types (models) you are looking at.

As one can not say in general that newer is much better, eventhough the brands wants us to believe this of course :rollgrin:

There are some "dogs" in history, to be avoided also.

Shooting off the hip, I would say get something cheap even if very used - as you have to "find yourself" later, and what you want to do, so just get started with "any" foil is key here, dont wait just go for it :thumb:

8) Peter

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:47 pm

Thanks Peter, I'll try to specify: I'm looking for fun on light wind days and possibly the thrill of catching waves I normally wouldn't be able to surf on low wind days.. Although foiling at high speed maybe something I'll learn to enjoy it's not my primary focus.

The naish thrust is offered quite a lot, but has many variations as in projected area. I've seen gong and other more rare foils but hard for me to distinguish what's entry level or racing.

Having a list of foils that are to be avoided is a good idea on this forum anyway, so shoot! 😉

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:32 pm

I would consider 800-1000 cm2 as a nice size to begin and also able to feel the waves while riding with the kite. Then if you want more wave feeling go bigger. And if you want more speed go smaller and higher aspect.

Very flat wings and especially very flat stabilizers are reactive and are going to be harder to ride in the beginning. Very big wings will probably cause you to lift out of the water before you are balanced.

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:30 pm

jakemoore wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:32 pm
I would consider 800-1000 cm2 as a nice size to begin and also able to feel the waves while riding with the kite. Then if you want more wave feeling go bigger. And if you want more speed go smaller and higher aspect.

Very flat wings and especially very flat stabilizers are reactive and are going to be harder to ride in the beginning. Very big wings will probably cause you to lift out of the water before you are balanced.
Thanks Jake, I guess buying a used 2017 Naish with a 880 wing would be a good choice then.
I've noticed the Naish front wings getting wider in shape in 2018 and 2019, does that help with stability?

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:35 pm

Do you mean higher aspect? Probably more speed range and glide. The Levitaz Cruiser I have for sale will go both faster and slower. I'm not looking to send it off to Europe but just using as an example of the benefit of wing shape. I like the idea of learning to handle an aluminum foil until you learn not to kick it under water. Being stubborn, I found out the hard way and have a few dark scars on feet and ankles from the sharp trailing edges of the carbon foil.

That 2017 Hover is fine to start. The stab and wing look real flat. The biggest difference I see in Naish is the addition of a vertical stabilizer for 2018.

I really like the looks of the stab on these Cabrinha double agents:

https://kiteboarding.com/proddetail.asp ... 8_foil_kit.

Hard to tell in the pictures but its a big stab in the horizontal plane = pitch stable. The winglets will give some yaw stability. Yaw causes roll, just like a bicycle. A couple of people here are riding the heck out of these Double Agents.

I see a lot of Naish kites here but for some reason the foils not so much.
Last edited by jakemoore on Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:44 pm

Naish in Oz allow you to build a foil to suit yourself. We have a few guys who have learnt on the 70 mast, abracadabra mount, medium surf wing and KS stab. Some have tried the current KS wing but prefer the stability of the medium surf which is 1000 sq cm.
Personally I use the medium surf on a 90 mast for swell riding in bay slop, works well. Not the lightest but that doesn’t seem to be a problem on the water. Speed range is 8-18 knots with the big wing so you can really slow it down when learning transitions or swell riding.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:10 pm

flying doctor wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:30 pm
jakemoore wrote:

Thanks Jake, I guess buying a used 2017 Naish with a 880 wing would be a good choice then.
I've noticed the Naish front wings getting wider in shape in 2018 and 2019, does that help with stability?

Can only agree (assume you are medium weight since you dont write), that a wing in that size 880 cm2 will work perfect for both learning, and later for catching and riding waves, and not too big which gets boring when no waves.

A 90-95 cm mast is a good allround size for everything, never go shorter, only if you also want a supershort 50-60 cm extra mast only for initial learning :thumb:

Dont think about stability, no matter if wide or narrow, they work really well the Naish wings :D

8) Peter

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:19 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:10 pm
flying doctor wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:30 pm
jakemoore wrote:

Can only agree (assume you are medium weight since you dont write), that a wing in that size 880 cm2 will work perfect for both learning, and later for catching and riding waves, and not too big which gets boring when no waves.

A 90-95 cm mast is a good allround size for everything, never go shorter, only if you also want a supershort 50-60 cm extra mast only for initial learning :thumb:

Dont think about stability, no matter if wide or narrow, they work really well the Naish wings :D

8) Peter
Thanks again Peter! Getting my choice down to a 2017 thrust (880cm2) that will set me back around 700 or a deal on a new 2019 thrust (660 cm2) for 1250 euros.. Some depreciation.. Any benefits for the 2019 model that justifies the price difference?

sweisburd
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 92 kg
Local Beach: Rosario, Argentina
Favorite Beaches: Rosario, Melincué, Pinamar, Punta del Este, Cariló.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish Pivot 9 & Naish Dash 12. Naish Monarch 142- Naish Hover 142 Jet foil Wing 1050

Postby sweisburd » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:02 am

airsail wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:44 pm
Naish in Oz allow you to build a foil to suit yourself. We have a few guys who have learnt on the 70 mast, abracadabra mount, medium surf wing and KS stab. Some have tried the current KS wing but prefer the stability of the medium surf which is 1000 sq cm.
Personally I use the medium surf on a 90 mast for swell riding in bay slop, works well. Not the lightest but that doesn’t seem to be a problem on the water. Speed range is 8-18 knots with the big wing so you can really slow it down when learning transitions or swell riding.
Hi! I´ve just bought the 70 mast, abracadabra mount, medium surf wing and KS stab. I tried to foil just a couple of times but I´ve found it quite difficult.
I´m a medium to advance kiter, I weight 92 kg. Is it possible that I need a bigger Stab?
All the advice is welcome!

Return to “Hydrofoil”