Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Swansea
Gear: twin tip
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Sliding spreader bars

Postby neilhapgood » Thu May 09, 2019 4:55 pm

foil are you in a seat harness, if so is it noticeably better that waist?

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Newbrighton near Liverpool
Favorite Beaches: Flag beach for the Foil, Rhosneigr for the Foil and twintip.
Style: improving foiler.
Gear: Moses T38 full carbon Ltd edition (number 3)
2019 Groove Skates, 120 + 130 both full naked carbon with gold stripes
101cm Moses Carbon mast
71+90cm Slingshot masts with moses adaptor
Moses- 633 wing set
Moses - 683s wing set
Ozone V4 Reo 6/7/8/9
Ozone Alpha V1 10/12
Nobile 50/50 twin tip
North 2018 click bars with Q power lines
massive grin

Postby Foil » Thu May 09, 2019 7:02 pm

alowishus wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 1:57 pm
Foil wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:24 am
If you end up with the slingshot rope slider bar as in the top one in the pictures then like me you may find the slide distance is to short, making for half baked toeside rides, making you trying to force the bar found a bit more whilst riding,
Or as I tried, I lengthened the rope to offer up more slide distance, this really felt bad, very jerky and horrible for boosting on a Ttip as the chicken loop snaps back to the center as you move around in the air,
The longer rope on the bottom bar is perfect for foil and Ttip, the rope is long but close in so you don't experience the jerky snappy off/on movement when the rope has a large V in it
Good info Foil and nice pics.
Question I: Appearances may be deceptive, but are you running a single length of rope on both loops? i.e. There is no backup rope, rather, two lines of the same rope? If so, what is the reason for this?
Question II: What knot do you tie at the end of the rope? Looks like some kind of stopper knot.
i have used two separate lines on one harness, and one length of line on another, but stop knotted this to create the benefit of 2 lines, i use 2 lines purely due to habit, as before the north line slider chicken loop was available the line would wear quite quickly, now there is no wear at all, but two lines are easy to do, so twice as safe.
i have used stop knots of bowline with a ss ring for clipping on the safety leash whilst walking around,

other stop knots used in the pics are figure of 8, the best way to secure the ends is with the stopper balls you can see, these are all old bits from old kite bars,
I never ever throw the old bits away! I have set up 5 bars in total but ran out of stopper balls, so used simple stop knots to create the 2 line benefit.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Newbrighton near Liverpool
Favorite Beaches: Flag beach for the Foil, Rhosneigr for the Foil and twintip.
Style: improving foiler.
Gear: Moses T38 full carbon Ltd edition (number 3)
2019 Groove Skates, 120 + 130 both full naked carbon with gold stripes
101cm Moses Carbon mast
71+90cm Slingshot masts with moses adaptor
Moses- 633 wing set
Moses - 683s wing set
Ozone V4 Reo 6/7/8/9
Ozone Alpha V1 10/12
Nobile 50/50 twin tip
North 2018 click bars with Q power lines
massive grin

Postby Foil » Thu May 09, 2019 7:14 pm

neilhapgood wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 4:55 pm
foil are you in a seat harness, if so is it noticeably better that waist?
Ion b2 harness is more of a shorts type harness, no big bulky backside problem.
being an X windsurfer for over 20 years using a seat harness for racing, the waist harness just feels so wrong for me, the only waist for me was the waste of money spent on 3 different waist harnesses trying to find one that worked, none offered the feel I was looking for, but i loved the free leg movement.
May try again if I see anything that might work, need to get myself to a place where i can try a few that have leg straps, but the Ion B2 harnesses don't seem to be wearing out like they used to. (that will be the hydrofoil effect)
As for my 5 sliding rope bars they will last far longer than me, those two ropes are there forever, zero wear. :thumb:

Return to “Hydrofoil”