Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Duotone Spirit Foil Range 2019

Postby Toby » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:43 am

Duotone News:

Duotone Spirit Foil Range 2019

Spirit Freeride

Easy accessible allround foil and the ideal tool to quickly improve your hydro foiling skills.

The goal with the Spirit Freeride foil is to find the perfect allround, multi-purpose hydrofoil setup. It’s a single-stroke wing in the sense that you will normally be flying after just a single power stroke from your kite and already maintains flight at lower speed. The Spirit back wing is big enough to give good pitch control at low speeds, but not too big to hold you back at the top end. Winglets offer good tracking and directional control. There ́s no better choice to start your foil freeride career than using the spirit freeride set up at an unbeatable price point.

https://www.duotonesports.com/kiteboard ... -freeride/

freeride.png
freeride.png (31.32 KiB) Viewed 3845 times

Spirit Carve

Smooth carving and easy manoeuvrability, that’s the Spirit Carve.

The new 950 Spirit Carve wing was developed for maximum manoeuvrability and glide to perform tacks, jibes and 360s. Essentially it ́s a scaled down version of a pure surf foil wing. The 950 lifts early and has an incredible stability for ripping smooth, controlled carves on tiny waves or flat water. This wing is all about control, carving, glide and seamless transitions with incredible stability and predictability for those looking for a great cross over between kite and surf foil feeling.

https://www.duotonesports.com/kiteboard ... rit-carve/

carve.png
carve.png (32.54 KiB) Viewed 3845 times

Spirit Surf

At home in waves or strapless freeriding, focussing on joy and stability. Pure surfing with or even without a kite.

The low aspect ratio profile has a huge amount of lift and opens up a new realm of possibilities for slack line tricks and carves where no kite power is needed. The wing provides the feeling that you can surf the wing rather than only be pulled around by the kite all the time. Due to his profile, shape and size, the wing can also be used for prone surfing on no wind days. The wing provides an incredible stability in white water which makes it easy to surf in small waves. It is for those looking for a pure surf feeling in a kite foil. When you like to use a small kite as often as possible, even in lighter wind conditions and you are looking for the same set up to surf on no wind days, the Spirit Surf is your weapon of choice.

https://www.duotonesports.com/kiteboard ... irit-surf/

surf.png
surf.png (31.96 KiB) Viewed 3845 times

Spirit GT

The need for speed with total control, continuously pushing the limit and still asking for more.

If you have the need for speed, the GT is your speed demon! The most noticeable difference between the freeride wings and the GT is that the faster you go the more stable the GT becomes. This stability at speed allows the committed foiler to really push the limits. The carbon wings are shaped for a minimum of drag, are built to go fast and like to be pushed to the limit. The Spirit GT foil is exactly what speed freaks are searching for in a foil.

https://www.duotonesports.com/kiteboard ... spirit-gt/

GT.png
GT.png (28.24 KiB) Viewed 3845 times

https://www.duotonesports.com/kiteboarding/foils/

HendrikVdP
Medium Poster
Local Beach: cadzand-bad Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: kitebeach el gouna Egypt
Style: freestyle
Gear: north vegas '10 7m
north vegas '08 9&12m²
undergound flx 132
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Duotone Spirit Foil Range 2019

Postby HendrikVdP » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:07 am

Nice looking new range of foils !!

But I also see that the speedster range completely disappeared from the website. And that’s a bit concerning to me.

They hyped their speedster massively with the carbon injection tech. Brand it unbreakable and superior etc...
While the wings stand up to the use of a kite , the fuselage wasn’t up to the job, let alone supfoil like the flow s1 from fanatic.

Now that there is a new fuselage i’m happy to see that it looks similar. But not a word repped about compatibility to the speedster platform.

@ Dan at Duotone : could you shed some light on this please ? Is it backwards compatible ?
- Do the old wings fit on the new fuselage ?
- Is the spacing between screws the same on the new mast with thicker cord ?
- do the old masts fit on the new fuselage with that cut out for the mast ?

If not then I got 2 useless masts and a useless front wing and back wing at home, since I broke the speedster fuselage already , and am totally not confident the current one will hold up.
And i’d Love to get rid of that risk and replace it with a new aluminium version since I like the way the speedster rides.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri May 03, 2019 3:46 pm

BEHIND THE DESIGN OF THE SPIRIT LINE

Created by Sky Solbach, Ken Winner, Antonio Destino and Max Pajank, the new Duotone SPIRIT foil range represents a unique and modular line of components that can all be used together in order to create the ultimate foiling experience. A complete range of kite hydrofoils which are fun, easy and durable for all types of rider, the quality of components, price and performance cannot be beaten. Take a look at what went on behind the design.

Read more HERE

JEREMIE TRONET REVIEWS THE SPIRIT LINE

Living in the Grenadines, team rider Jeremie, is a foil addict and the light trade winds, sheltered waters, reef breaks and open oceans of the Caribbean make his home spot the ultimate foiling location. Read what he has to say about the new SPIRIT range, what makes it so versatile and why the MONO and JUICE are his perfect match.

Read more HERE

Dan-at-Duotone
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: Go
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Thu May 09, 2019 5:26 pm

Hendrik-

Sorry for the delay in response, been out of the office and just noticed this (you're always welcome to PM me, thanks Toby for the heads up)...

1. Yes, we found that the injection molded fuselage was not up to the stresses of SUP/windsurf foiling and would break more easily than we liked if you hit bottom/floating debris even when kiting. So for 2019 we've designed a burlier mast and fuselage for use with our SUP/WS foils compared to the ones for our kite foils... Any mast and fuselage strong enough for SUP/WS use noticeably slows/detracts from performance on a kite foil and any kite-specced mast/fuselage does not hold up to the added stresses of WS/SUP use. It also resulted in us switching to an aluminum fuselage and pairing up with some people who had been involved in America's Cup foil design in order to analyze our whole kite foil platform. One of the biggest issues with our 2018 North foils (and many other foils on the market) was flex and vibration... No matter how perfectly a foil is designed, once it starts vibrating it creates extra drag without any lift and performance suffers significantly. So one of the primary priorities in creating our new foil lineup was increasing resilience and reducing flex/vibration.

2. We also placed a priority on making the foils backward compatible, trying several iterations using the same fuselage and mast. We were working with designers and fabricators who had been involved in America's Cup foil design with our whole foil project and ran a bunch of computational fluid dynamic analyses. After looking at it from every angle, though we wanted to keep the same fuselage and mast, it became clear that the 2018 North foil platform could not give the structural integrity we needed. There's no point in designing better wings if the mast/fuselage are the factors limiting performance.

Therefore:
A. In order to reduce vibration a longer chord was required for the mast. We also added a pocket to the fuselage where it connects to the mast to stiffen this connection, all of this results in significantly lower vibration and less flex, however it also means the 2018 North fuselage is not compatible with the 2019 Duotone mast, nor vice-versa.
B. To maximize strength and reduce twisting and vibration, the screw hole spacing for the wings (front and back) was increased, so the old wings will not fit on the new fuselage
C. The mast to board connections are the same, if that's any consolation, so a Speedster combo will work on any 2019 Duotone foil board, and the 2019 Spirit range of foils will work on any older-model North foil board.
D. We also switched from the carbon compound construction we'd used in the fuselage/wing of the NKB foil... The only place we're still using that composite construction is on the wings of our pricepoint Spirit Freeride foil. The fuselage for all Spirit foils is Aluminum, as is the mast. The wings for the Spirit Carve, Spirit Surf, and Spirit GT are all full carbon.

I know this is not the answer you wanted. We have always worked hard to make our gear as backward compatible as possible... We kept the same bar platform for most of the 19 years we've been in business, so you could fly any North or Duotone kite on any 5th element bar, mixing and matching years from at least as far back as 2006 through 2019. In this situation I know we made several attempts to continue to use the same platform but it was either reissue a product we weren't happy with just to keep it backwards-compatible or make a big jump forward and lose compatibility.

Just to be clear though, the Spirit Surf, Spirit Carve, and Spirit GT all use the same mast/fuselage/rear wing, so switching between these requires only switching out the front wing.

TL/DR: 2019 Duotone wings will not fit on 2018 North fuselage, 2019 Duotone fuselage will not fit on 2018 North Masts.

Hope this helps and feel free to respond with any questions, here or by PM.

-Dan
These users thanked the author Dan-at-Duotone for the post:
Kamikuza (Fri May 10, 2019 10:43 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Thu May 09, 2019 8:39 pm

Dan-at-Duotone wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 5:26 pm
I know this is not the answer you wanted. ...
I would say, one of the best answers I ever heard from a manufacturer in a forum. :thumb:
Personaly I would always prefer a as honest answer in front of all this: ".. even better than the year before, which allready has been the best .."

There are too many companies trying to take customers for stupid with such sentences or fake videos, just check one of my posts 2 weeks ago :roll:

By the way just tried very short, I think it was the carver wing, also direct against a standard zeeko alu, which is a good comparision as very common, even if a bit smaller and faster...

The duotone carver felt very well balanced so far, everything fine what I have seen. :thumb:
And good luck and timing the first serious foil from B&M is a "duotone" and not a "north" one :wink:

Only two complains about the actual duotone foil, what I have seen:
- I would add at least the area sizes of the wings on the webside as most do, knowing there are many more factors relevant to estimate lift and speed, but it is the most important number to compare.
- Pressure point of the wing in combination with the hybrid board felt like to much front food pressure if using both straps, which are maybe more ment for use without foil and knowing is always a bit personal and dependent from useage.

kitegirls
Medium Poster
Gear: North Kites and Click Bar.

Postby kitegirls » Fri May 10, 2019 1:20 am

deleted

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Fri May 10, 2019 9:49 am

Dan-at-Duotone wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 5:26 pm
Hendrik-

Sorry for the delay in response, been out of the office and just noticed this (you're always welcome to PM me, thanks Toby for the heads up)...

1. Yes, we found that the injection molded fuselage was not up to the stresses of SUP/windsurf foiling and would break more easily than we liked if you hit bottom/floating debris even when kiting. So for 2019 we've designed a burlier mast and fuselage for use with our SUP/WS foils compared to the ones for our kite foils... Any mast and fuselage strong enough for SUP/WS use noticeably slows/detracts from performance on a kite foil and any kite-specced mast/fuselage does not hold up to the added stresses of WS/SUP use. It also resulted in us switching to an aluminum fuselage and pairing up with some people who had been involved in America's Cup foil design in order to analyze our whole kite foil platform. One of the biggest issues with our 2018 North foils (and many other foils on the market) was flex and vibration... No matter how perfectly a foil is designed, once it starts vibrating it creates extra drag without any lift and performance suffers significantly. So one of the primary priorities in creating our new foil lineup was increasing resilience and reducing flex/vibration.

2. We also placed a priority on making the foils backward compatible, trying several iterations using the same fuselage and mast. We were working with designers and fabricators who had been involved in America's Cup foil design with our whole foil project and ran a bunch of computational fluid dynamic analyses. After looking at it from every angle, though we wanted to keep the same fuselage and mast, it became clear that the 2018 North foil platform could not give the structural integrity we needed. There's no point in designing better wings if the mast/fuselage are the factors limiting performance.

Therefore:
A. In order to reduce vibration a longer chord was required for the mast. We also added a pocket to the fuselage where it connects to the mast to stiffen this connection, all of this results in significantly lower vibration and less flex, however it also means the 2018 North fuselage is not compatible with the 2019 Duotone mast, nor vice-versa.
B. To maximize strength and reduce twisting and vibration, the screw hole spacing for the wings (front and back) was increased, so the old wings will not fit on the new fuselage
C. The mast to board connections are the same, if that's any consolation, so a Speedster combo will work on any 2019 Duotone foil board, and the 2019 Spirit range of foils will work on any older-model North foil board.
D. We also switched from the carbon compound construction we'd used in the fuselage/wing of the NKB foil... The only place we're still using that composite construction is on the wings of our pricepoint Spirit Freeride foil. The fuselage for all Spirit foils is Aluminum, as is the mast. The wings for the Spirit Carve, Spirit Surf, and Spirit GT are all full carbon.

I know this is not the answer you wanted. We have always worked hard to make our gear as backward compatible as possible... We kept the same bar platform for most of the 19 years we've been in business, so you could fly any North or Duotone kite on any 5th element bar, mixing and matching years from at least as far back as 2006 through 2019. In this situation I know we made several attempts to continue to use the same platform but it was either reissue a product we weren't happy with just to keep it backwards-compatible or make a big jump forward and lose compatibility.

Just to be clear though, the Spirit Surf, Spirit Carve, and Spirit GT all use the same mast/fuselage/rear wing, so switching between these requires only switching out the front wing.

TL/DR: 2019 Duotone wings will not fit on 2018 North fuselage, 2019 Duotone fuselage will not fit on 2018 North Masts.

Hope this helps and feel free to respond with any questions, here or by PM.

-Dan
This should be on the Duotone Website!

Although I do not ride Duotone HFs (but the kites), I really do appreciate this kind of honesty and transparency. Thx.

HendrikVdP
Medium Poster
Local Beach: cadzand-bad Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: kitebeach el gouna Egypt
Style: freestyle
Gear: north vegas '10 7m
north vegas '08 9&12m²
undergound flx 132

Postby HendrikVdP » Sat May 11, 2019 11:58 pm

Hi Dan,

Thanks a lot for your honest reply.

I indeed hoped for some backwards compatibility to be able to “save” some of the parts and use them in future set ups.

I’ll be looking into reinforcing my current fuselage with some carbon to get as much life out of it as possible then.
Or will there be a “consolation prize” aluminium fuselage coming out for the speedster set by any chance ?

Thanks again for your honesty.

Dan-at-Duotone
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: Go
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Mon May 13, 2019 5:31 pm

As far as I'm aware we will not be building a Speedster-compatible aluminum fuselage. Sorry.

kitenight11
Medium Poster
Gear: North

Postby kitenight11 » Fri May 24, 2019 9:56 am

Hi,
just having a Question concerning the new foils.
I now own a speedstar Combo with the original speedster wing and also the GT wing.
For me the original wing is a Little too slow and too draggy, while the GT doesn't has enough floatation to be pushed by waves and float while no line Tension. This was better on the original, but it is too slow and a Little boring. Would the spirit carve (even though bigger) be faster and less dreggy than the original and still has the floatation needed to get some Speed by the the waves alone?
By the way is there another wing/systen out there which combines both aspecs?

Return to “Hydrofoil”