Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Moses Havok?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
bigcane
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Moses Havok?

Postby bigcane » Thu May 02, 2019 8:14 am

So does anyone know something about when this will be released? Any reviews from people who have tested it? I need to order a new foil pretty soon and so have some decicsions to make. Also it seems the Havok wings have been available for a few months - can anyone comment on comparisons to the 637 set? Is it worth upgrading?

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Re: Moses Havok?

Postby cwood » Fri May 03, 2019 3:21 pm

I have the wings on a 101 mast. I like them over the 637 as they are a much more neutral ride. Very similar characteristics in general but they stab / wing balance is much better at all speeds. I find the 637 / 420 combo harder and harder to keep in the water as speed builds.

Kitehard
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Kitehard » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:03 am

Hi bigcane,

I have the current complete Havok rig and have used the 637 Comet last year. I have just received the new Havok mast as there was an issue with a few of the first masts produced. The new mast seems to be about 5cm shorter thsn the 111 of the Comet and initial Havok. I'm a heavier rider ~92kg and find the 645 and 425 combo much better for upwind than the 937 and a lot more stable at speed. The new mast is very stiff and forgiving in the event of a ventilation of the mast and the relief in the tips of the 645 seem to greatly reduce the ventilation caused by wingtip surfacing in chop. Overall, a much more user friendly race foil. I'm really happy with it thus far and have just done a 1200 sand on the mast.
It's still only early days as I've only done about 150km on the new foil, but am stoked so far. I tried the comet wings on the Havok mast and they didn't seem to be correctly balanced, not sure why? The new mast seems to be in line with other manufacturers going with slightly shorter masts. I think with the added stability of the wings and mast, the additional length is not necessary. Very happy with mine though.

DM

bigcane
Medium Poster

Postby bigcane » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:32 pm

Hi kitehard,

Thanks for sharing, very useful info. Do you think the havok mast is thinner than the comet mast say at the midpoint? I think the comet mast is around 13.5mm ish. Also how is the speed downwind?

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..

Postby elguapo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:01 pm

i considered the havok.....and passed.

for the price you can get much more stability and performance without having to sand away half the mast.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:04 pm

elguapo wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:01 pm
i considered the havok.....and passed.

for the price you can get much more stability and performance without having to sand away half the mast.
You can also get the benefits of the 645 havok wing on any Moses mast. I'm running it on a 2018 Vorace 101.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..

Postby elguapo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:27 pm

that is true.

but for the price of the mast with wings....you can buy the complete chubanga 2.
i've only tried a (heavily modified/sanded) havok mast with 645 wing once...and to be fair i'm probably not skilled enough to know what i like or dont like with race foils.
(but the chubanga seemed much more forgiving at speed to me)

/sample size on havok is "one"...and that mast was significantly different than the way it was originally shipped. it could be great...it just wasnt in my hands.

//maybe if enough people ask...maybe luca will design a surf glider too

Return to “Hydrofoil”