Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Disadvantages of larger foil wings?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Disadvantages of larger foil wings?

Postby Matteo V » Thu May 02, 2019 3:38 pm

What are some of the disadvantages of larger foil wings? I know that top speed is limited with most surf/windsurf foils when used with a kite. But what should one expect to have to overcome when going from a smaller foil to a larger one?

Some of my assumptions would be:

1. Larger wings will be harder to control if you become overpowered in the kite and not allow you to go downwind with as much control when overpowered.
2. Larger wings will not let you ride with the board on the water downwind in overpowered conditions.
3. Larger wings will have a narrower range where you can "hold down" or "correct" the pitch of a wing.

Any thoughts on my assumptions?

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Disadvantages of larger foil wings???

Postby Foil » Thu May 02, 2019 4:49 pm

all above is correct,
but you learn to use much smaller kites to mitigate the points you have correctly mentioned.
the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages the normal free ride foiler is happiest with.
but having a choice of foils is a good back guard for the days you just fancy a change.
I do,
but never, or should I say hardly ever screw them in place.
same story with my twin tip, I take it with me when the wind may pick up, but never bother to use it.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Disadvantages of larger foil wings???

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu May 02, 2019 4:53 pm

The disadvantages of big wings are IMO:

Feels and is slow and draggy - it is all about the feel.

When jumping you dont get as much speed (=height), and you might break your hydrofoil as the bigger wings put loads of stress on your gear when landing.

I disagree with some of above post though, as IMO they have a bigger windrange than the smaller wings, and easier to control too, also downwind.
You wont get too much speed thus not out of control as you can get on a smaller wing.
So no, IMO it is easy to ride the big wings as they dont accelerate when powered, like the small ones.

I know of at least one foil where the trim is not spot on, so it searches up - but other foils are dead on in trim meaning neutral, and this very foil is something they work on correcting.

The big wings can be extremely boring though, especially in flat water, thus sub 1000 cm2 feels often much more fun here :rollgrin:

Advantage of big wingss:

You can start in less wind, or ride with a smaller kite.
You can make narrow slow turns, good for waves or learnng.
You will often learn transitions easier on these.
You dont get too much speed and lose control, thus good in waves or downwind or when learning.

8) PF

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m Flysurfer Peak 4 kites
7m, 10m Cabrinha Apollo kites
Cloud F28 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard
133 Axis Vanguard twintip

Re: Disadvantages of larger foil wings?

Postby tswierkocki » Thu May 02, 2019 5:27 pm

I’m mainly into surf, general cruising, and freeriding so for me the only disadvantage to big wings is that at some point they generate too much lift and become difficult to handle when very powered.

I weigh 75 kg (165 lbs) and always foil with the smallest kite possible.

I spent the last year on the Cloud 9 S24 and recently bought the new X22, X24, and X28 wings to figure out the answer to your question for myself. This is what I found so far:

X22 - Really fun wing but a bit too fast for my liking in waves. Requires more power that X24 and X28.

X24 - Perfect size and speed for me. Not too fast to outrun a wave but fast enough to be interesting in flat water. I ride this wing 90% of the time.

X28 - A lot of fun in lighwind but can be a handful at my weight when fully powered. Faster than I expected due to the high aspect ration.
Attachments
09E47ED6-DDE7-4DDF-84DE-89D529D18EAF.png

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Thu May 02, 2019 5:59 pm

Not sure if the increased drag of bigger wings is a disadvantage or advantage in decent size waves. In small wind chop, you want better glide just to have some fun. I bigger and steeper waves, it seems the drag will help keep you on the wave longer especially is you don’t have the skills to “work the wave”
These users thanked the author slowboat for the post:
Peter_Frank (Thu May 02, 2019 6:44 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Thu May 02, 2019 6:25 pm

Let's not confuse large wings (with lower take-of and stall speeds) with thick wings which are slow and draggy.

Few "disadvantages" of large wings are:
- pretty much anybody can foil and it'll be funny to teach someone foiling skipping twintip phase. I guess strapped kitesurfboard can substiture.
- racing world feels less exclusive/elitist
- Door boards and large LEI kites markets are drying out fast
- with more people foiling the twintip world is shaking and becoming a domain of 20+ knots riding
These users thanked the author grigorib for the post:
foilholio (Fri May 03, 2019 5:40 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Thu May 02, 2019 6:44 pm

With my NP Glide L assembled I can't get it in/out of my apartment door (this is without being attached to a board). That's a disadvantage to me!

DAnderson
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SWFL
Gear: 14.5 A Flite
8/5 A Roam
18/12 soul 11/9 av8
15/9 s3
ha725/195
ML B3

Postby DAnderson » Thu May 02, 2019 6:44 pm

grigorib wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:25 pm
Let's not confuse large wings (with lower take-of and stall speeds) with thick wings which are slow and draggy.
I felt the thicker-style large wing got overpowered by the kite easier, as it was incapable of the acceleration/speed.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Thu May 02, 2019 6:57 pm

this may only be slightly on topic...

but is there a reason to NOT use very high aspect wings such the albatross foil from SPG or horue's vini foil?

both are excellent for pumping and are excellent in surf... but neither are marketed for kitesurf.
i'd thinking anything foil you can pump..should be excellent on a small kite (or am i wrong?)

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Thu May 02, 2019 7:06 pm

elguapo wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:57 pm
this may only be slightly on topic...

but is there a reason to NOT use very high aspect wings such the albatross foil from SPG or horue's vini foil?

both are excellent for pumping and are excellent in surf... but neither are marketed for kitesurf.
i'd thinking anything foil you can pump..should be excellent on a small kite (or am i wrong?)
Small wings have challenges with high AoA and stalling at low speeds.

Return to “Hydrofoil”