Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Disadvantages of larger foil wings?

Postby Kamikuza » Sun May 05, 2019 10:27 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 6:06 am
I’m not sure yet, but flat water and wave gear have never been a thrilling combo.

I’m still mid experiment. On my third wing in three seasons. Haven’t gone back to try a smaller wing yet. At this point I’m happy in flat water/light wind just learning the limits on a bigger low aspect but fast profile wing. At this stage working on tacks is plenty fun. Eventually I can see it losing some thrill and maybe wanting to try my faster wings again. I have a foil that can be assembled canard and want to try that someday but am having too much fun on the learning curve to bother just yet.
If you've mastered all the tricks, if flat water is all you have access to, then I can imagine flat water could be dull.

Southern summer I had flat water estuary, waves at the beach and a harbor to play in on the foil. Each was fun, but the max giggles came from playing in the estuary.

I was trying new tricks, refining techniques, playing silly buggers with my buddies, carving it up and generally just relaxing and having a great time.

Each to their own. Some people are just happy riding directionals in waves, day in day out.

Return to “Hydrofoil”