A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
alx
Rare Poster
Gear: foil board, 3-strut kites
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Gath Helmets with Visor

Postby alx » Fri May 03, 2019 4:06 am

I think foiling can easily result in head injuries. I've been in multiple situations when the board comes too quickly at me If I fall in front of it. I don't want concussions.

I'm looking for as much protection as possible including the ears and the face.

At the moment I'm hesitating between two choices:

1) Gath Gedi helmet (https://gathsports.com/gath-sports-shop/gath-gedi/) with a full face visor (https://gathsports.com/gath-sports-shop ... ace-visor/)

and

2) GATH RV (Retractable Visor) Surf Hat (https://gathsports.com/gath-sports-shop/gath-rv/)

It seems that the RV Surf Hat has a bullet-proof visor. On the other hand, while the Gedi optional visor doesn't appear so strong it looks to me it'd be good enough protection against board coming at your face.

The Gedi is that it is a tougher helmet overall but frankly I doubt I'll ever be in a situation to hit my head against a tree or a wall; my objective is protection against the foil board.

Another downside of the Gedi, in my mind, is that the ear protection is removable and I imagine it can easily fall off?

The RV Surf Hat is more compact probably better when you fall in the water?

I've heard the term "bucket effect", not sure what it means

In other words, again, I really hesitate between the two. Who has experience with them? Which one are you happy with? Which one should I pick?

I don't plan on jumping with the foil or going high speed. I like slow speed strapless carving, and playing in small waves.
Last edited by alx on Sat May 04, 2019 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

baxterbradford
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth, UK
Gear: Foil, surfboard, twintip & 8-18m kites
Has thanked: 0

Re: Gath Helmets with Visor

Postby baxterbradford » Fri May 03, 2019 7:20 am

I haven't used either of the above Gath helmets, but have owned a Gath Neo for over 2 years. I bought it due to repeatedly getting neck ache when driving back from foil session with all the falls that means for me! I was using a Mystic helmet at the time and after research learned about the bucket effect whereby the effective size of head affects load to the neck. I've a strong neck, used to play fair bit of rugby yet still kept getting this neck ache.
Having bought the Gath helmet, the neck ache immediately stopped after sessions, but sadly the wipeout number and ferocity remained the same!
The ear protectors have remained in place and never once displaced in a crash or otherwise.
The foil has hit my head a number of times and the Gath has given protection. Rather than visor, I wear LiP sunglasses with the helmet when conditions demand. They are not a great fit under it and I don't like the aesthetics of the front of helmet, but it is doing the job well.
These users thanked the author baxterbradford for the post:
alx (Sat May 04, 2019 2:50 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

richy-c
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Ozone Moses Shinn Best

Postby richy-c » Fri May 03, 2019 7:48 am

alx wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:06 am
I think foiling can easily result in head injuries. I've been in multiple situations when the board comes too quickly at me If I fall in front of it. I don't want concussions.

I'm looking for as much protection as possible including the years and the face.

At the moment I'm hesitating between two choices:

1) Gath Gedi helmet (https://gathsports.com/gath-sports-shop/gath-gedi/) with a full face visor (https://gathsports.com/gath-sports-shop ... ace-visor/)

and

2) GATH RV (Retractable Visor) Surf Hat (https://gathsports.com/gath-sports-shop/gath-rv/)

It seems that the RV Surf Hat has a bullet-proof visor. On the other hand, while the Gedi optional visor doesn't appear so strong it looks to me it'd be good enough protection against board coming at your face.

The Gedi is that it is a tougher helmet overall but frankly I doubt I'll ever be in a situation to hit my head against a tree or a wall; my objective is protection against the foil board.

Another downside of the Gedi, in my mind, is that the ear protection is removable and I imagine it can easily fall off?

The RV Surf Hat is more compact probably better when you fall in the water?

I've heard the term "bucket effect", not sure what it means

In other words, again, I really hesitate between the two. Ho has experience with them? Which one are you happy with? Which one should I pick?

I don't plan on jumping with the foil or going high speed. I like slow speed strapless carving, and playing in small waves.
Im using the jedi with half visor its great after coming from mystic helmet and sea specs. The beauty of it for me is it has a ratchet on the visor so you can click it up and down if needed. I often use it half down using it like you would a cap giving my eyes shade. Ear protectors never move.
These users thanked the author richy-c for the post:
alx (Sat May 04, 2019 2:50 pm)

eddiemorgs
Rare Poster
Gear: North

Postby eddiemorgs » Fri May 03, 2019 12:15 pm

I have worn gath helmets since they came out . Is it 30 years ? :o
Windsurfing and kiting.

So far 4. The first one had an adjustable visor and the others with a partial one.
The adjustable visor was a bit restrictive when down , you can’t see through it that well as it gets covered in spray. But you could adjust it down so you could shut out the sun at the level needed.
The partial ones work well for me.

I live in a hot climate and have found it makes a big difference in wearing a white helmet .... much better insulation against heat than other colours.

They are well built , light and work well.

Cheers.
These users thanked the author eddiemorgs for the post:
alx (Sat May 04, 2019 2:51 pm)

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Fri May 03, 2019 4:37 pm

try using a paintball mask(with helmet).
(seriously)

These users thanked the author elguapo for the post:
alx (Sat May 04, 2019 2:51 pm)

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri May 03, 2019 7:56 pm

I've been looking at the gath jedi with half visor for several years. it's expensive here, and can't see try them on. My dealer offered to get one and let me try, but didn't want to put him out...

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Fri May 03, 2019 8:28 pm

I have had both Surf convertible and Jedi. Tried the half visor setup on the convertible....was not a workable solution in my opinion. Jedi and Lip or Kurtis glasses is the best combo in my opinion. Use the on line sizing measures to get the right fit...they are very comfortable and I can use different pad strips for summer and winter (over excel suit hood). The ear pads do not ever come out but I am not a fan of the wind noise....and have gone with ear plugs after having burst a drum.

The Gath also saved my girlfriend's life on the first day she ever wore a helmet. Lofted onto shore and rocks from a flash storm.
These users thanked the author cwood for the post:
alx (Sat May 04, 2019 2:52 pm)

jman
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach, Nahant
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras
Style: stinky
Gear: used

Postby jman » Sat May 04, 2019 1:52 am

Gath hat is great and lightweight, jedi is also good with or without the ear flaps. Avoid any helmet with a visor, if you hit the water face first you could catch the visor on the water and jerk your head back.
These users thanked the author jman for the post:

jman
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach, Nahant
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras
Style: stinky
Gear: used

Postby jman » Sat May 04, 2019 1:54 am

gath helmet with face shield is a no no, first time you lift shield out of the way and it has any sand you will scratch the shield!
These users thanked the author jman for the post:

alx
Rare Poster
Gear: foil board, 3-strut kites
Been thanked: 0

Postby alx » Sat May 04, 2019 4:37 am

Thank you for all the responses so far! Very helpful!

Regarding the visor:

The reasons I want a visor is to protect from being hit, I'm used to sunshine & water splash and they don't bother me.

The following horrifies me though (I really don't want head/neck injuries, even minor ones):
jman wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 1:52 am
Avoid any helmet with a visor, if you hit the water face first you could catch the visor on the water and jerk your head back.
Looks like it'd be less of a problem with Gedi since the visor moves up and down easily, unlike the RV Surf?

Regarding sand scratching, I'd assume this may be a concern for RV Surf but I can just make sure I protect the helmet from sand.

Regarding the removable ear covers:

Sounds like they don't really move, I was fooled by this review on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-revi ... B01MSD0GKW Maybe the person didn't set them correctly. They have to be set in a particular way with the straps going though them which should make them very fixed.

If I decide to let go of the idea of the visor, and since the ear covers are solid, then I can consider other Gath helmets like the surf convertable.
cwood wrote: I have had both Surf convertible and Jedi. Tried the half visor setup on the convertible....was not a workable solution in my opinion.
What was the problem?

Return to “Hydrofoil”