Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Are fast foil wings dead outside of racing?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Are fast foil wings dead outside of racing?

Postby deniska » Mon May 06, 2019 4:35 am

cwood wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:35 am

Me too! traded a guy my Moses for a try of his Nobile split foil. I thought it was broken it felt so bad...jumped off and checked to see if a rope was dragging behind. All he could say is "oh....my.....god" and now rides a Moses. :-)
ZEN is pretty lame :-)
and I say it not because I broke it :-)

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Mon May 06, 2019 5:22 am

Have been foiling for 14 years now. Have personally owned half a dozen foils and tried many more. Without remembering the specific models, worst foils ever tried were Nobil, Shinn and Cabrinha (maybe they have improved since), best glide and comfort Taaroa, F-One.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Mon May 06, 2019 3:23 pm

cwood wrote:
davesails7 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 4:40 pm
I go to a few races a year, but usually riding around on race gear on my own. Even if I gave up racing, Id stick with the fast foil.

The slow wings feel super draggy in comparison. I rode a cabrinha double agent once for a few minutes and no joke had to stop three times to check there was nothing stuck on it! I was certain there must have been a plastic bag stuck on it to feel so draggy and vibrate like that :lol:

Hitting seaweed and sea life at speed is the downside to the fast foil
Me too! traded a guy my Moses for a try of his Nobile split foil. I thought it was broken it felt so bad...jumped off and checked to see if a rope was dragging behind. All he could say is "oh....my.....god" and now rides a Moses. :-)
Which Nobile Zen you tried?
I got a Freeride and have no comparison..

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Mon May 06, 2019 3:24 pm

Janus wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 3:23 pm
cwood wrote:
davesails7 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 4:40 pm
I go to a few races a year, but usually riding around on race gear on my own. Even if I gave up racing, Id stick with the fast foil.

The slow wings feel super draggy in comparison. I rode a cabrinha double agent once for a few minutes and no joke had to stop three times to check there was nothing stuck on it! I was certain there must have been a plastic bag stuck on it to feel so draggy and vibrate like that :lol:

Hitting seaweed and sea life at speed is the downside to the fast foil
Which Nobile Zen you tried?
I got a Freeride and have no comparison..
No idea what it was....just that it felt like riding over gravel there was so much vibration.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Mon May 06, 2019 4:49 pm

Zen freeride is ok.. probably the best wing they have. The race wing is pretty sketchy.. you would expect it to become more stable with speed.. but it does not.
Both sing like crazy (maybe its the mast?).. And you can't jump on either - you will break inserts and sink the alu-mast like I did..

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Mon May 06, 2019 5:25 pm

deniska wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:49 pm
Zen freeride is ok.. probably the best wing they have. The race wing is pretty sketchy.. you would expect it to become more stable with speed.. but it does not.
Both sing like crazy (maybe its the mast?).. And you can't jump on either - you will break inserts and sink the alu-mast like I did..
Ok thanks, in that case I’ll stop jumping it and take off the straps.

gbrungra
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Stinky's, San Diego, CA, USA, and Nantucket, MA, USA
Gear: Griffin 17m TRX 2014, Cabrihna 12m Vector 2014, TTs, Camet 160 and SS Hoverglide

Postby gbrungra » Mon May 06, 2019 11:07 pm

I would love to race (I like sailboat racing), but I need to learn transitions first. I’m hoping to get a surf wing to help w that.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Tue May 07, 2019 3:20 am

I aspire to go fast, but 80% of the times I ride are more suited to a slower more forgiving foil. I am a long way short of exhausting the possibilities and the skills to be perfected on my slower surf foil.

My suspicion is that there is more speed to be gained from getting a high-mid performance foil kite before I buy a high performance foil. My longer term plan is to buy a foil kite then buy a high performance foil as the market sorts itself out.

It's a little surprising that when I started foiling there were very few properly sorted commercial foiling products available to buy. I found some products I am happy with and nothing from other brands is all that tempting. There seems to be a lot more products available but I feel we still have a way to go before things settle down. Every other week some random kite brand brings out some foil product that looks like every other aluminium mast, bolt on wings foil. The top of the range seems pretty nice but the price tag is a bit more than I am comfortable with.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue May 07, 2019 2:01 pm

OzBungy wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:20 am
I aspire to go fast, but 80% of the times I ride are more suited to a slower more forgiving foil. I am a long way short of exhausting the possibilities and the skills to be perfected on my slower surf foil.

My suspicion is that there is more speed to be gained from getting a high-mid performance foil kite before I buy a high performance foil. My longer term plan is to buy a foil kite then buy a high performance foil as the market sorts itself out.

It's a little surprising that when I started foiling there were very few properly sorted commercial foiling products available to buy. I found some products I am happy with and nothing from other brands is all that tempting. There seems to be a lot more products available but I feel we still have a way to go before things settle down. Every other week some random kite brand brings out some foil product that looks like every other aluminium mast, bolt on wings foil. The top of the range seems pretty nice but the price tag is a bit more than I am comfortable with.
I changed from North Monos to Hyperlinks. 7 and 9m. Faster, but not by a lot. Primarily just easier to crank them and get controlled full power up wind.

juanpasala
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 10 / Soul 10 / Sonic 3 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic

Postby juanpasala » Tue May 07, 2019 2:22 pm

OzBungy wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:20 am

Wont win that much speed, Hydrofoil wings really limit the performance of the kites, speccially whils going downwind.
First get an intermediate hydrofoil than you can then ugrade with just a n extra wing (Moses-Levitaz-Alpinefoils), then go for the foilkites.

Return to “Hydrofoil”