Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Are fast foil wings dead outside of racing?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz
Brand Affiliation: None

Are fast foil wings dead outside of racing?

Postby tkaraszewski » Sat May 04, 2019 4:53 pm

Lately there's been nearly no new discussion of any fast foil wings on here (or any other kite website I've seen, but this is the biggest). Everyone at my local spot is on surf wings of various types, mostly Moses/Slingshot and Lift. There's more buzz about things like the Neil Pryde Glide than the Moses Havok, which I've hardly seen anything about (and doesn't look like it's available anywhere, anyway).

It seems the current state of kitefoiling is you're either in a relatively small niche on a Mike's Lab actually competing in regattas, or you've switched to a surf-style wing for anything else. Does anyone think this is a fad and faster wings will come back into fashion (maybe some more accessible faster wings that combine some of the traits of race wings with surf wings, i.e., larger area high-aspect wings), or is it surf wings for the foreseeable future?

Anyone have any thoughts on this topic? I'm currently riding a 683S, so it's not like I don't understand the appeal of the bigger wings, but I did always want to be able to do 20 knots upwind. I guess there's nothing stopping me from buying a race foil (except money).

flaps1111
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Safor Beaches and Costa Blanca, Valencia /Alicante
Style: Strapless hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Skate S w679, w633. Airush Ultra v2 ,4m,5m, 6m, 9m, 12m,14m. Flyfurfer Peak5 4m, BRM 13.4

Re: Are fast foil wings dead outside of racing?

Postby flaps1111 » Sat May 04, 2019 5:10 pm

It's easy freeride rules. Not everyone wants a Lamborghini for everyday use.
These users thanked the author flaps1111 for the post:
grigorib (Sat May 04, 2019 6:00 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sat May 04, 2019 5:38 pm

I think its a little to do with your sailing location as well.
for example when I go to lake Como, it's the race wings without hesitation.

Used both wing types there, but the flat water entry, deep water in all areas, no weed, no plastic bags or bits of boats, no dozy seals.nothing to hit.really nothing to put me off going silly fast, the Moses race wings are awesome on these massive flat water locations.

But on the coast here in the uk the surf wings are first choice for me, in fact I have now sold my race wings as they are not fun to use on the open sea for me, always on the edge of crashing, never really enjoying the on the edge feeling.and never having the space to let the wings fly, blasting out to sea for miles is not a comfortable thought without safety cover.

I have just cancelled my booked 3 week holiday to Lake Como for this year, and booked 3 months on fuerteventura instead.
the 633/683s type of surf wings have transformed the whole experience for me,
very much for the better.

And you can still get the need for speed on both these wings, its takes a lot of time to get the best from the 633 and 683s, but give them time and they will deliver the goods.

4 hours today on my 8mtr in choppy wavy conditions, 633 was my chosen wing, unbelievably good time, the fastest I have ever been on this wing with the best carves ever on the small waves,
it just gets better and better.

Slyde
Frequent Poster

Postby Slyde » Sat May 04, 2019 8:52 pm

No way, slow foils are boring. I have both and hardly ever use my slower wings. I love speeeeeed and the buzz of high speed in light winds. I also like them in strong winds too. Fast foils jump better, and are generally better quality stiffer foils too. Once you are comfortable with the speed they are also more stable to transition as they tend to be wider and more roll stable. They also have longer masts and handle chop better.This forum has become dominated by the “ I’m scared I might hurt myself” brigade and is also naturally geared more towards starting foilers. I predict that more and more will start to appreciate a faster foil as they get better. Lots and lots of cheap high quality race foils for sale these days. When you ride one for a while then go back to a slower foil with a poorer quality mast you will notice the difference. Don’t believe everything you read on this forum. Big slow foils are for SUPs and surfing😉
These users thanked the author Slyde for the post:
airsail (Sat May 04, 2019 9:43 pm)

DukeSilver
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Melville Beach Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Graveyards
Style: Hydrofoil, Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Ozone Reo, Ozone Hyperlink, Moses 683s, home built pocket foil board, Cabrinha Skillit

Postby DukeSilver » Sun May 05, 2019 1:33 am

I like the idea of riding both styles. There are days when I feel like going on long trips upwind followed by a nice down wind run. Other days I want to just do short runs and practice tacks and 360's etc. I currently ride a Slingshot Hoverglide which I enjoy, but would one day like to have a faster carbon freeride foil like a Moses Fluente with a 550 wing and get a 633 / 683 for the waves and general noodling around. There are a group of pretty good racers who do a lot of training at my local spots and while I don't have any aspirations to race, they are inspiring to watch.
These users thanked the author DukeSilver for the post:
Peter_Frank (Sun May 05, 2019 5:46 am)

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Sun May 05, 2019 1:11 pm

Slyde wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:52 pm
No way, slow foils are boring. I have both and hardly ever use my slower wings. I love speeeeeed and the buzz of high speed in light winds. I also like them in strong winds too. Fast foils jump better, and are generally better quality stiffer foils too. Once you are comfortable with the speed they are also more stable to transition as they tend to be wider and more roll stable. They also have longer masts and handle chop better.This forum has become dominated by the “ I’m scared I might hurt myself” brigade and is also naturally geared more towards starting foilers. I predict that more and more will start to appreciate a faster foil as they get better. Lots and lots of cheap high quality race foils for sale these days. When you ride one for a while then go back to a slower foil with a poorer quality mast you will notice the difference. Don’t believe everything you read on this forum. Big slow foils are for SUPs and surfing😉
I'm with you....will always choose the Havok unless very wavy...but even in these cases I find it fun to try to carve up the waves with the race wings. They are just liquid smooth by comparison and friction-less.....like silk. I find transitions more fun as well because the speed retains effortlessly. Every once in a while I throw up a small kite and play with a wave wing and it gets it out of my system pretty fast. The other major advantage is boost performance...speed = height.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sun May 05, 2019 1:46 pm

cwood wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 1:11 pm
Slyde wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 8:52 pm
I'm with you....will always choose the Havok unless very wavy...but even in these cases I find it fun to try to carve up the waves with the race wings. They are just liquid smooth by comparison and friction-less.....like silk. I find transitions more fun as well because the speed retains effortlessly. Every once in a while I throw up a small kite and play with a wave wing and it gets it out of my system pretty fast. The other major advantage is boost performance...speed = height.
Agreed, in many places hydrofoil riders are new to the sport and believe (or made to) that larger slower wings are better, easier, safer. Mainstream kite brands producing price point thick low aspect wings and shorter masts that can cope with cheaper materials. High aspect wings can only be made using better materials.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sun May 05, 2019 3:32 pm

As much as I enjoy lowend of 633/683s I would ride 590 anywhere where water is clean of seaweed, so I don’t feel like “hitting a deer and dragging it under my car”.
I think I want to try 645 wing but it would take a larger body of water to play in too.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sun May 05, 2019 4:20 pm

grigorib wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 3:32 pm
As much as I enjoy lowend of 633/683s I would ride 590 anywhere where water is clean of seaweed, so I don’t feel like “hitting a deer and dragging it under my car”.
I think I want to try 645 wing but it would take a larger body of water to play in too.
Don't know what you are talking off with all those numbers. Is that surface area?

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sun May 05, 2019 4:25 pm

windmaker wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 4:20 pm
grigorib wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 3:32 pm
Don't know what you are talking off with all those numbers. Is that surface area?
Moses wings (numbers are wingspan)
633 and 683s are slower, lowend surf/kite wings
590 is faster (compared to 633/683s) wing but is slowest kite foil wing (not counting surf wings)
645 is 2019 race wing

Return to “Hydrofoil”