junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Gear: Twintip
Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Tacks (with footswitch)

Postby junebug » Mon May 06, 2019 12:36 am

So I had a realization the other day. I had an injury that kept me out of the water for several months, and when I came back, I had regressed to the point I couldn’t do tacks any more. (I had just learned them when I got injured.) I took out a big kite to re-learn them, and I just couldn’t make it work consistently, particularly riding goofy. Plus, I didn’t really have fun because I was riding a kite that was too big for my riding preferences.

After the session, I was watching some BRM videos and I decided that, instead of working on tacks, I would try the move Greg Drexler does where he is riding heel side, switches to toe side, and then quickly does a toe side tack. I figured I could try this underpowered, like I prefer to ride, and complete the move with a loop.

Here’s the move:

When I went out to try it, I realized that this is basically just a tack with the foot switch a little earlier than the racing guys do it. When I started thinking about it this way, it made everything click! I was able to do the maneuver and then push the foot switch later so I was doing it when the board was dead upwind.

Anyway, I’m posting this as a new thread in case anyone else is stuck on tacks. It re-clicked for me after I stopped thinking about “tacks” and started thinking about “foot switch to toeside and toeside 180.”

YMMV
Last edited by junebug on Mon May 06, 2019 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

oregonkiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: foil
Gear: Slingshot 633/590/DC36/SST
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Tacks (with footswitch)

Postby oregonkiter » Mon May 06, 2019 1:06 am

Sooooooo,

Can you give me some tips on Toe, back to heel side 180's? I have many attempts under my belt, but do far only one that was kind of close--ish...

Thanks

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Gear: Twintip
Foil

Postby junebug » Mon May 06, 2019 2:57 am

It helped me to think about it like a heel side 180:

Kite high, like 11:30
Push the bar out
Carve hard upwind. This is a weird feeling, but you kindof lean against the lines as you go through dead upwind
I turn the bar so it is facing in the new direction of travel even though I am not yet. This is probably mental but it helps me conceptualize what I’m trying to do
Dive the kite hard in the new direction as you pull in on the bar to do the loop if you are underpowered

It’s all about timing of the dive in the new direction. In my experience, the most common error is diving the kite in the new direction too late.
These users thanked the author junebug for the post:
pikovsg (Mon May 13, 2019 3:36 am)
Rating: 10%

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Naish, North, Ozone, Flysurfer, Alpine, MikesLab, Taaroa

Postby cglazier » Mon May 06, 2019 3:15 am

For me this 'tack without a footswitch' is just a truncated backroll where you keep the kite going "back".

Just start to do a weak underpowered backroll that stops half way around, and continue pulling on your "back" hand.

If you are comfortable doing backrolls this approach might help.
;-) CG

Qiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: Mostly foil

Postby Qiter » Mon May 06, 2019 5:45 am

oregonkiter wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:06 am
Sooooooo,

Can you give me some tips on Toe, back to heel side 180's? I have many attempts under my belt, but do far only one that was kind of close--ish...

Thanks
As pointed out below, there are a few key points:
-Switch feet: In the beginning, its probably easier to switch feed early, get some speed and position the kite high up.
-Kite position: The kite should be 11:30,12:00 or even a bit overflown (i.e. you go a bit underneath the kite by going briefly downwind), this will make the loop a bit easier.
-Sheet the bar out completely and lean in the lines and carve HARD upwind
-While the bar is sheeted out, try to grab it a bit on the outside, not fully centered, especially if you have a bigger kite, this will also facilitate the loop
-As you are pointing upwind, pull and "fishpole" the bar hard to get the loop, while you are still carving towards the new direction.

The main thing is (as usual in foiling) the timing of pulling the bar. If you pull too early, it will take you off the board backwards, if too late, you will come off the foil.
Just keep trying, its one of the easier foiling maneuvers in my view.
These users thanked the author Qiter for the post:
pikovsg (Mon May 13, 2019 3:36 am)
Rating: 10%

Return to “Hydrofoil”