Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Which kite is the easiest to re-lunch at low winds?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Which kite is the easiest to re-lunch at low winds?

Postby cglazier » Tue May 07, 2019 2:52 am

edt wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 1:40 am
don't forget to sit on your hydrofoil when you relaunch. It's the only way to get enough resistance against the wind.
Good point but there is another way. Put both feet on your fuselage under water. This allows you to tilt the board and get resistance and it is quick.

:wink: CG

hongchew
Medium Poster
Gear: airush

Postby hongchew » Tue May 07, 2019 3:09 am

True but the reason I got a Cloud 13.5 was to go out in super light wind, and it's super super light wind when my Cloud can't stay in the air. So maybe it's my skills, but I find it really difficult to relaunch when the wind is just marginal, and worse than a struted kite that will at least drift, my Cloud will anchor down in the water, even when I paddle with my foil downwind, it will sit put and usually end up upwind of where I'm with my foil. I don't know how it'll ever "drift down wind".
jumptheshark wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 1:16 am
Ha ha, for sure! Most of that was not cloud specific, but more low wind specific.

I guess it all depends on what you call low winds.

For a Rally, low winds is 10 knots.

For a cloud, its 6.

I had a 2015 Rally, liked it a lot, but like all slingshot kites, it was one of the heaviest meter for meter that I have ever owned. All that blah blah Ive spilt about cloud relaunch is in wind lower than a rally stands a chance. Sub 9 knots and they're pretty much dead in the water. I foiled with a 9m for over a year, and it absolutely needed that 10 knot gust. A cloud will go back up reliably as long as its not below 7. In rally flying winds the clouds are rarely more than a quick tilt of the bar and they're up, but if you somehow manage to really mess up, clearing the canopy in those winds is easy peasy. Pull in and hold one real line for a few seconds.

The cloud is ultra easy to keep in the air in 9 knots. Like you don't have to move it or even pay attention to it kind of easy. Where the Rally is gonna fall out of the sky the moment you take your eyes off it, and with those little wingtips it's a bitch to recover once it starts to fall. I guess you have to weigh easy relaunch with not needing to relaunch much at all.

In normal kiteboarding weather the Rally is a super quick relaunch. On the hydrofoil forum when your talking light wind.....

alowishus
Medium Poster
Gear: ozone airush slingshot moses

Postby alowishus » Tue May 07, 2019 5:43 am

Cefirmeza wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:12 pm
edt wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:31 pm
only a foil will launch when the winds drop below 5 knots. I find the tube kites are much the same, has to be enough wind to get them up so it's better to never crash them in the first place. Once you know the inner center line outer rear line trick, it's more about how much the tube kite weighs than anything. If the wind actually goes to zero then swimming in with a foil kite sucks but if it's 5 knots or more you should be able to relaunch it as long as you don't have a pretzel.
Can you talk more about this center/rear lines trick?
I gues there is something to do with keeping the tension on the lines otherwise it may stall during a messed up turn.
I use the rear line / opposite side centre line method relatively often in marginal winds when the kite won't quite relaunch normally. You need a low Y.
Explained well in this vid:

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Re: Which kite is the easiest to re-launch at low winds?

Postby Janus » Tue May 07, 2019 11:29 am

Interesting waterposition on the hydrofoil / board.. 8-0
I would not stick my bare feet near the trailing edge of my mast or wing.. It will cut deep...

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil
Has thanked: 0

Re: Which kite is the easiest to re-launch at low winds?

Postby marekmk » Thu May 09, 2019 8:40 am

Ozone 1 strut Alpha so far...........

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu May 09, 2019 8:51 am

edt wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 1:40 am
don't forget to sit on your hydrofoil when you relaunch. It's the only way to get enough resistance against the wind.
in marginal wind with a foil kite, I found out that it is not enough sometimes, and I get a better result by swimming backward ( with the Pulsion 15 m or 12m at least) ; physical but efficient

Huib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2

Postby Huib » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:39 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 3:22 pm
When a cloud gets water on the canopy or simply messed up in some other way, I pull in a couple meters of one rear line. When that tip becomes the most upwind part of the kite, wind will slowly begin to get under the canopy from that wingtip. Sometimes its pretty quick, sometimes its pretty slow, but it eventually will lift enough of the canopy off the water that you can let go of that line and let the kite drift to normal face down position. Sometimes you have to still be patient from here that the canopy fills properly and pushes the remaining water off the other tip, which will have a tendency to stick to the water. You can eventually relaunch normally by one rear line, rolling it up on a wingtip, or you can do a series of yanks on both rear lines to clear the last of the water and reverse relaunch. Even when the kite has flipped over and is completely flat on its back, I have found the one rear line move will get the kite to flip over face down and you go from there. In anything over 7 or 8 knots, I can usually get a cloud sorted from however it manages to end up.

Good luck. It takes a little practice. Pumping the kite pretty hard is helpful, but mostly patience and timing are the keys to reliable success rates.

Once you figure it out, its pretty easy to reproduce. I am using clouds to drift launch at certain spots and really like them for their easy slow drifting. With a little water intentionally put on the canopy and oriented right to the wind, they are very reliable drift launch kites, but it requires you know this key step of using one wing tip corner to begin catching wind and patiently clearing the canopy for launch.

I'm 100% with drift launching clouds over the last three years.
Thanks. Good instruction. I have now 3 Clouds D/E but in light wind I followed your instructions but I still have a lot of problems to launch the Cloud from the water. Also for reverse launch you need a lot of wind.
That's why I keep the Ozone Alpha 10m as my biggest kite and don't replace it for a Cloud.
The Alpha is so much easier to relaunch in light wind conditions then any other LEI kite I know. But keeping the Cloud with light wind in the air is very easy. You have to make a very stupid move to get the Cloud on the water.
Last edited by Huib on Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby marekmk » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:10 am

i have owned the clouds, the one strut north kites and the easier to relaunch in low winds is the One alpha

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:31 pm

Small point, but with the goal of battling the epidemic of "fake news" on the internet, I'll point out that there is some incorrect information at 2:15 in the Houston Kiteboarding video. The 2017 Cab Apollo reverse launches just fine. I do it all the time. :thumb:

alowishus wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 5:43 am

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:46 pm

I picked up a Naish Boxer and it is by far the easiest launching kite I have ever owned...

Return to “Hydrofoil”