Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: ontario Nickel and Sunset
Favorite Beaches: hatteras area,
nickel beach, sunset beach
Style: Erratic
Gear: Armstrong 1050 2400, mako king,NHP split, OR flites and prodigy

Losing the front hook

Postby grtlakes » Thu May 09, 2019 12:57 am

Any tips on losing the front hook and going strapless?
I tried tonight but it was a nonstarter. Disorganized onshore wind driven chop and incompetence. I had issues with keeping the board pressed against my feet as it drifted away at alternating angles. I was at a spot with limited room downwind (power lines) and deep water.
I figure flatter water and better spot would help of course but any other tips appreciated.

Cheers

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Re: Losing the front hook

Postby bragnouff » Thu May 09, 2019 1:46 am

Just hold onto the rail of the board till the kite is well on its way through the power zone, that'll keep the board angled for longer, and your feet in the right place, able to control where the board is pointing. That'll also force you to be fully crouched.

Once, I missed putting the back hand back onto the bar to correct the dive, and that was a pretty humiliating face plant waterstart... Sometimes it's easier to just loop the kite, as this doesn't require the use of your two hands that much.

trod27
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Utah
Favorite Beaches: Gorge, Los Barilles, Deer Creek
Style: freestyle
Gear: Slingshot, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby trod27 » Thu May 09, 2019 2:06 am

keep trying. for me it came off in middle of lake after three years of trying.

Also light foil makes a difference. Carbon made the big difference. I have tried on friends aluminum and cant. I am big guy and not as limber as I used to be.

Try down loop to get going downwind then front send it regular will get you up and moving. That is my trick in light wind

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Thu May 09, 2019 3:39 am

Low volume board!
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post:
foilholio (Mon May 13, 2019 10:35 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Thu May 09, 2019 4:28 am

Low volume board and light foils are a lot easier. Key is holding the board in place with rear hand while diving kite. With a really floaty board and heavy foil, this can be is tricky. Try using your rear knee in place of your foot to hold board in place (so front foot, rear knee, and front hand are all holding board on its side), then move rear foot in place and dive kite. It will take a session or two to become natural, but gets easy pretty quickly.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu May 09, 2019 5:12 am

Hold the tail as you get the kite in position, then snk the tail to resist the kite with your back foot and start as usual.
These users thanked the author Kamikuza for the post (total 2):
SENDIT! (Thu May 09, 2019 7:52 pm) • foilholio (Mon May 13, 2019 10:36 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu May 09, 2019 7:52 am

grtlakes wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 12:57 am
Any tips on losing the front hook and going strapless?
I tried tonight but it was a nonstarter. Disorganized onshore wind driven chop and incompetence. I had issues with keeping the board pressed against my feet as it drifted away at alternating angles. I was at a spot with limited room downwind (power lines) and deep water.
I figure flatter water and better spot would help of course but any other tips appreciated.

Cheers

Consider yourself as a total newbee when you lose the hook/strap(s).

Go out in easy conditions where you dont have issues with powerlines and onshore chop - dont work when learning the waterstart. (ps: you write deep water downwind? This is a plus so dont understand you write this as an issue?)

If you only got onshore chop, then put your hook all the way forward, and ride out and practice starting here without using the hook.

It is all about timing, thus it will take a while, or a long time, till you get it right.
But when you can, you can do it fast in between even small fast breaking waves.

As you know and others say, hold the board edged with your rear hand so mast is horisontal.
The key is, that you should NOT position the board, put feet up, and wait for the moment to dive the kite - will very often not work, and be a lot more difficult, and will also depend a lot more on your specific board now, and wing and waves etc.
This method is a reminiscense from using straps or hooks, and you have to get past that.
Maybe it is only mentally now you know that you should get up on the board in one move, always, when strapless :thumb:

Dont let go with your rear hand, until the kite is positioned ready to dive (usually a bit past 12 towards your rear hand side).

This way works just as easy with supersmall boards, as well as giant volume boards, or medium boards - no difference here and you will be able to swop boards later without thinking about they being very different.

If you got a light carbon foil and a really big wing, you got loads of time, maybe the board will even sit on its side itself.
If you got an alu foil, it will drop really fast (the horisontal mast).
But the way you start is still exactly the same, and I just change the timing when going from alu to carbon or reverse.

With small kites (10 m2 and down) you let go with your rear hand, position your feet quickly (can also be done while holding the board if easier for you, but no need to) and dive the kite and up you go in one move.
Maybe not foiling, doesnt matter, as long as you get up on the board.

Using big kites maybe longer lines too, you have to start the dive bar pull a lot earlier, before you let go with your rear hand, as the delay is huge using these.
The same goes with big foil kites, so much delay that you have to wait a lot longer.
Also when using alu foils, hold the board longer.

Exactly the same difference in WHEN you let go with your rear hand, no matter if a big slow kite or a fast dropping alu foil, hold the board longer and start the dive impulse before you let go.

Practice practice practice, and it will get easier and easier during time :rollgrin:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post (total 3):
jumptheshark (Thu May 09, 2019 11:09 am) • Huib (Fri May 10, 2019 2:56 pm) • SENDIT! (Fri May 10, 2019 6:19 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Thu May 09, 2019 8:21 am

its hard,
very hard to change over.
Tried 3 times now and have given up, its not so much the start off (which is hard enough) but moving along at any sort of speed I feel completely out of control.
and its only one strap missing as I never ever use my back strap apart from positioning the board before kite dive start.
one foot strap makes such a difference, crazy!
2 of my foiling buddies have the same story, we have given up trying.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu May 09, 2019 8:28 am

Strapless was very easy for me - and i think most of SB strapless riders can do it "right away". Im able to position board with just legs - no hands. My setup is slowly sinking one.

So my advice is -
low volume board ca. 120 max 140 cm - with good grip - full EVA pad is preferred.
Floating or slow sinking foil.
Some strapless experience on Surfboard

AND easy medium powered conditions

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Thu May 09, 2019 9:33 am

As said,
Fix front foot hook 3 or so cms in front of sweet stance spot.
Then if conditions are a little hard, strong gusty wind, waves, chop use it.
If not then just forget it is there and strapless.
I still after MANY years have small, half cut horizontal part, f foot hook cause where I live is often super strong gusty and sometimes chop mixed in and like to be lazy and water start easy.
Also try having heels, both, nearer down rail to balance foil assembly better, more lever.
T I M I N G
R H

Return to “Hydrofoil”