Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How thick is your wing?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How thick is your wing?

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri May 10, 2019 5:41 pm

It doesnt work well if you want to ride at low speed, unless you have a wing with more area, was my message.

But the Stringy wing HAS more area, right?

Thus it can ride slow.
And also fast even when bigger, because of the low drag profile.

But will stall more abrupt than a similar sized thicker wing (or more rounded nose, can not see the nose profile).

Personally I also think I like and believe in thinner wings :D

8) PF

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jumptheshark » Fri May 10, 2019 6:03 pm

Can see it in that side profile pic..... Thats the super sharp leading edge!

Isn't the 633 wing similar? Similar area with relatively thin overall thickness? They advertise it as having a big speed range.

Thickness/camber may be helpful to induce drag in order not to outrun waves, but for kiting I think you want to have at least a little speed on tap.

Time will tell where the pure surfing wings end up. I bet once surf foilers are way beyond simply catching more waves and are carving more down the line, the profiles of those wings will come down in thickness to give them better top speeds.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat May 11, 2019 3:05 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:41 pm
It doesnt work well if you want to ride at low speed, unless you have a wing with more area, was my message.

But the Stringy wing HAS more area, right?

Thus it can ride slow.
And also fast even when bigger, because of the low drag profile.

But will stall more abrupt than a similar sized thicker wing (or more rounded nose, can not see the nose profile).

Personally I also think I like and believe in thinner wings :D

8) PF
Lift comes from the camber and profile -- thick profile, more lift.

A flat plate with "fly" but will be more draggy than a similar sized proper wing because it needs AoA to work. IMO this is what was wrong with the Double Agent -- and why it ran into a top speed wall and wouldn't go any faster, no matter how much kite you used -- it was just a deflecting surface, not an actual wing.

Super-low t/C is important when you're talking about trans-sonic wings ... I don't think we're at that stage yet :lol:

Drag isn't an issue when lift increases. It's a ratio, after all. At the scales we're dealing with, I don't think it's an issue for a properly designed wing.

Axis is doing wider, higher aspect, lower volume wings for surf/SUP and reckon it's way better for pumping, but I think 820 is pushing it for width for kiting and reasonable length masts.

Heard it said that if you get the first 10% of the foil's profile right, the rest doesn't matter. /grainofsalt

I'd be interested in seeing how narrower but higher t/C wings perform.

Wing loading seems to be more relevant than drag here, because (if I understand it) for the same wing, a higher wingload pushes the cruising speed up. Which may explain why heavier riders like so much bigger wings -- we get to keep the low cruising speed.
These users thanked the author Kamikuza for the post:
Peter_Frank (Sat May 11, 2019 4:54 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Hydrofoil”