Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Levitaz bionic vs Moses Comet?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
overratedscurvy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Indialantic, Fl
Style: Foil and surf
Gear: Foil kites and switchblades for the waves.
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Levitaz bionic vs Moses Comet?

Postby overratedscurvy » Fri May 10, 2019 7:08 pm

Looking to invest in my first race foil. Committed to get into racing. I learned all the tacks and gybes on my median aspect wing with 101 mast. Ready for a race setup. I already have a Levitaz raze board with a plate mount. So Im limited to plate foils like Levitaz bionic and Moses comet. Those are the 2 I’m most interested in but open to other recommendations. I want to get the best one. I don’t want to invest and grow out of whatever race foil I choose. Moses seems a bit cheaper. Levitaz seems more used in the race tour. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Also advice on new vs used race foils...

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Re: Levitaz bionic vs Moses Comet?

Postby jakemoore » Fri May 10, 2019 8:36 pm

Plate to Tuttle adapters open options for you.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post:
overratedscurvy (Sat May 11, 2019 4:18 am)
Rating: 3.03%

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Fri May 10, 2019 10:22 pm

> I don’t want to invest and grow out of whatever race foil I choose.

But you're going to limit your foil choices based on your existing board?
These users thanked the author tkaraszewski for the post:
overratedscurvy (Sat May 11, 2019 4:18 am)
Rating: 3.03%

overratedscurvy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Indialantic, Fl
Style: Foil and surf
Gear: Foil kites and switchblades for the waves.
Been thanked: 0

Postby overratedscurvy » Sat May 11, 2019 4:17 am

Definitely great points. Have been considering Tuttle adapters. Anybody have brand preferences for adapters? Also realize I will one day grow out of the foil of choice. Just tryna wean out comments suggesting more beginner high aspect foils.

Slyde
Frequent Poster

Postby Slyde » Sat May 11, 2019 11:48 pm

I think this is the wrong forum for you. There dont seem to be many racers frequent these pages. It all depends on how committed you are to push it to the top. You could ask your question on the kiteracing facebook page or the kiteracing2hand facebook page. There may be someone answers thats near you that wants to sell or will let you demo a race setup. From what people who have ridden them tell me the Levitaz has alot of front foot pressure, but maybe they have moved on in the development since then. The Moses is said to be very comfortable at speed so you can push it hard. I think thats how it is with the top stuff now - a foil that has neutral lift that you can load the hell out of and not worry that its gonna pop out of the water on you.
There are some guys who post on the kiteracing page that have ridden just about everything there is and could give good advice.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sun May 12, 2019 1:17 am

Moses comets are a good deal used ($1200) and pretty fast. I think used is the only reasonable way to go. Race gear loses its value so fast. Unless you are at the top, you dont need new gear.

I've never ridden either myself, but I've talked to someone who had both the comet and bionic. (For what it's worth he rides Delta now). He said levitaz bionic was OK once he upgraded to the new larger stabilizer. He really didnt like the bionic with the old small gull wing stabilizer. He preferred the comet over the bionic though.

Neither the moses or the levitaz are at the top anymore, but the comet seems like a pretty good race foil. I heard 2018 comet was a big improvement over 2017. 2018 was a different three digit number for the wing, but not sure what the numbers are.

I dont think you can add a Tuttle to plate adapter to just any race hydrofoil. It makes the span longer and can cause stiffness issues. The adapter makes the top part of the mast stiff, but you still are creating a longer span of 10-15 cm.

bigcane
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby bigcane » Sun May 12, 2019 7:04 am

I own the the 2018 Comet and also owned the 2017 Comet previously. The 2018 wings are a big improvement over 2017, very easy to ride and push hard. I think the Comet is plenty fast enough for the weekend racer. I also tried the Levitaz with the small tail wing and long fuse, it was fast but I felt out of control. Never tried it with the bigger back wing though.

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Sun May 12, 2019 9:43 am

The Bionic with the larger rear stab is much easier to ride. I bought one secondhand with the old gul wing, very hard to ride. The new rear stab makes it a pleasure to ride, though the short race fuselage is a challenge to start with but it gets through chop so easily.
The Comet has an alloy fuselage, the Levitaz stainless, no corrosion. The new Levitaz fuselages have been slimmed down dropping the weight from a hefty 1.2 kgs to around 800gms.
Levitaz did a great deal on the upgrade, just drop them an email.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Mon May 13, 2019 1:54 am

Hi overratedscurvy,

I think as long you're not expecting to compete in the gold fleet inbetween worlds best 10 racers who train nearly every day, during the next 1-2 years ...
I don't expect you have to worry about that you will grow out of the named foils. I think if it will be more the opposite. At least for me it takes about 1/2 a year (50 sessions) to step from a median aspect wing to a freerace and then again the same up to the old Levitaz bionic to regain a acceptable quote of jibes and tacks. But anyway I was always far away to compete in racing ...
In my eyes, if you already have levitaz stuff it can make sense to buy something compatible. But also the Comet I tried is for sure a great race foil, with the benefit to be lighter, so just take the best offer you can find and don't worry, both will be great foils, which I wouldn't expect you will ever outgrow.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon May 13, 2019 4:17 pm

Return to “Hydrofoil”