cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Is it just me or does pumping a foil...

Postby cwood » Mon May 13, 2019 10:24 pm

Look like the most unnatural and uncomfortable thing in the world?

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Is it just me or does pumping a foil.....

Postby grigorib » Mon May 13, 2019 10:37 pm

It’d be more fun if it didn’t take so much damn effort to do.

Pumping a skateboard and not having to ever touch ground is awesome
Last edited by grigorib on Tue May 14, 2019 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Re: Is it just me or does pumping a foil...

Postby juandesooka » Tue May 14, 2019 3:15 am

cwood wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:24 pm
Look like the most unnatural and uncomfortable thing in the world?
Agreed, it looks goofy. But it's not really about looking cool, as it's primarily a means to an end ... potentially endless wave riding without having to paddle. Is it worth looking goofy to get that result? Dunno, will hopefully let you know in a year or so if I can figure out how.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue May 14, 2019 5:13 am

True, looks "odd" indeed when surfers do this :-?
Amazing but not aesthetic in any way :roll:

Luckily we don't need to pump when using a kite, no matter how small :rollgrin:

8) PF

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Tue May 14, 2019 9:19 am

there are 3 guys who I have seen pump the foil to great effect and it looked good.

Florian Gruber(x world champ), going out in "no wind" on his foil from Flag beach, so little wind he had to swim out using back stroke to get deep enough, then diving the kite he got to his feet but he was up to his waist in water he then pumped the board to the surface and on to the wing, try it! its impossible.

Gunnar, on flag beach, when he was trying the "round the world" trick on his foil, where he dropped the kite to the water when he was sailing along, and then pumped the board to complete a full circle around the kite and back to where he could relaunch the kite without sinking,try that! its impossible as well.

finally the race guys from levitaz at flag beach (flag gets all the pros) who were very entertaining when one guy with board and kite would tow out another guy who would just be on a foil board no kite, the kiteless guy would hold on to a short rope behind the lead guy and get up at the exact same time as the lead guy, and off they went into the wave sets where the guy behind would let go and pump around the wave sets, this was on standard freeride gear, try that! maybe not so impossible, as long as you prepare in the gym for a year or so.

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Tue May 14, 2019 9:36 am

It looks extra good with a wingsurfer in the hand :lol:

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Tue May 14, 2019 5:16 pm

the frequency looks odd - the more frenetically it is the worse is effect - Low frequency - power pump stroke with big wing looks and feels ok to me

gbrungra
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Stinky's, San Diego, CA, USA, and Nantucket, MA, USA
Gear: Griffin 17m TRX 2014, Cabrihna 12m Vector 2014, TTs, Camet 160 and SS Hoverglide

Postby gbrungra » Tue May 14, 2019 6:06 pm

I'm looking forward to pumping efficiency improving.

Only a few years ago nobody had every flatwater started a SUPfoil.
Only a few years ago noby had prone SURFfoiled.
The foils are not efficient enough to ride the wake of a jetski without a tow rope, and without pumping.
Only a few years ago nobody had pumped off the backside of a wave to catch a 2nd. Now the record is 50+ waves without coming off foil. That's an entire surf session.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Tue May 14, 2019 9:05 pm

gbrungra wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:06 pm

The foils are not efficient enough to ride the wake of a jetski without a tow rope, and without pumping.
Only a few years ago nobody had pumped off the backside of a wave to catch a 2nd. Now the record is 50+ waves without coming off foil. That's an entire surf session.
Yep, it's an evolution, things are changing quick as people experiment and figure out what's possible. It was also only a few years ago that foils were only for AirChair wake novelty. And then also only a few years ago that foils were only for racers. Who knows what's next? It's limited only by the imaginations of the innovators ... though one thing I can guarantee, no matter next it will first face the booing masses declaring it lame, until the nay-sayers adopt it as the new rad thing and say they never doubted it. I am quite interested to see what the surf wing group will figure out, with the foil as the magic ingredient enlivening an old technology.

Finally: I am amused by the kiting community calling out pretty much anyone else for style violations, but especially kite foilers. You do realize we are considered by most to be "the rollerbladers of the sea"? Shorts over the wetsuit, neon Kurtis goggles, dangly spinny tricks ... umm...yeah....no. :lol: :bye: :thumb: :cool2:

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Tue May 14, 2019 9:32 pm

juandesooka wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 9:05 pm
gbrungra wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:06 pm

Yep, it's an evolution, things are changing quick as people experiment and figure out what's possible. It was also only a few years ago that foils were only for AirChair wake novelty. And then also only a few years ago that foils were only for racers. Who knows what's next? It's limited only by the imaginations of the innovators ... though one thing I can guarantee, no matter next it will first face the booing masses declaring it lame, until the nay-sayers adopt it as the new rad thing and say they never doubted it. I am quite interested to see what the surf wing group will figure out, with the foil as the magic ingredient enlivening an old technology.

Finally: I am amused by the kiting community calling out pretty much anyone else for style violations, but especially kite foilers. You do realize we are considered by most to be "the rollerbladers of the sea"? Shorts over the wetsuit, neon Kurtis goggles, dangly spinny tricks ... umm...yeah....no. :lol: :bye: :thumb: :cool2:
For the record, I wasn't making light of or making fun.....I just feel uncomfortable whet watching someone pump foil.....it just looks so hard and so inefficient....On instagram I now swipe past because I just don't like watching it (my own discomfort, not judging). I'm sure there will be innovations, maybe a hinged wing or something that gives a force multiplier or something.

Return to “Hydrofoil”