Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Flying footswitch learning time

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:55 am

TilmanHH wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 8:12 pm
Are there any goals to go for while learning pumping? I can do it both sides anf toeside now, but not very safely.

When I put my feet to a narrower stance, then I cannot pump anymore? At least it gets very wobbeling then and in that narrow stance I cannot pump anymore. So I put the board onto the surface and don't even stick that easier footchange;)
We're saying "pump", but it's more like letting the foil rise to give you time to have your CoG forward more while you swap front foot -- gives you time (mast space) for the foil to sink without touching down.

You can just start with the foil high, or ride over chop and change in the trough (I started this way, thanks to jumptheshark) but the advantage of doing it with a pump is that you get more time to "float" above the board...

With a narrow stance, you need to use your front leg more, or actually lean back...

alowishus
Medium Poster
Gear: ozone airush slingshot moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby alowishus » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:49 am

Wobbliness goes away the more you try. I thought it was due to maybe building strength or coordination in my ankles...?
You will need much less of a noticeable "pump" (or step off from the back foot is maybe a different way to describe), as you improve.
For me, the bigger wing wasn't the cure, but I found it much more forgiving of imprecise foot placement and my success rate increased dramatically my first session on a 1000cm2 wing.
I was never particularly good at surface foot swtiches, since the board would lose speed quickly as it hit chop, so I just kept going for it on the fly.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:12 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 12:24 pm
Good point on the stance width. That's definitely a factor.

Great example of a wave cresting foot switch at 1:40, then the tutorial oat 3:10.

is humorous. (to me)
(i never attempted switches...comfy on gybes..and maybe 50:50 on duck tacks(without foot switches)
but i felt it is time to learn.

i watched that little girl's video on foot switches...and was practicing her little foot kick thing. when i looked behind before my gybe.. that little girl in the video was right behind me the whole time i'm doing those little exercises. her and i assume the drexler guy both on the water with their clouds.
(this is on a beach...far far away from maui)

anywoos...

Cefirmeza
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 65kg
Local Beach: Ceará - Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ceará, Brazil
Style: Kitefoil Wingfoil
Gear: Slingshot sst 4m, Airush Ultra 5m, brm cloud 5.5m, Peak4 4m/6m, Duotone Slick 3.5/4.5m
Sabfoil W1000,W800, Lift classic 150
Armstrong SKT3’11 25L

Postby Cefirmeza » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:10 pm

alowishus wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:49 am
Wobbliness goes away the more you try. I thought it was due to maybe building strength or coordination in my ankles...?
You will need much less of a noticeable "pump" (or step off from the back foot is maybe a different way to describe), as you improve.
For me, the bigger wing wasn't the cure, but I found it much more forgiving of imprecise foot placement and my success rate increased dramatically my first session on a 1000cm2 wing.
I was never particularly good at surface foot swtiches, since the board would lose speed quickly as it hit chop, so I just kept going for it on the fly.
For me it helped keeping the feet as close as possible in a very narrow stance. When you attempt the switch the change in COG is minimum.
After success you can practice increasing the distance between feet. This way I learned very quickly after just a few attempts.
Also try with most of the mast under water. It increases stability.

alowishus
Medium Poster
Gear: ozone airush slingshot moses

Postby alowishus » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:59 am

Yeah, agree, bringing back foot forward just before the switch helps heaps and was one of the key ingredients initially for the miracle to happen for me.

Return to “Hydrofoil”