Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Minor repairs to carbon wing

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
tomtom
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:00 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 93 times

Re: Minor repairs to carbon wing

Postby tomtom » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:19 pm

Definately not scientific. :)

For laminar profile - smooth finish have least resistance. Ventilation is different thing here micro "scratches" can stop propagate air from outside to wings. Thats why racers sand they foils /in certain direction/

skideeppow
Medium Poster
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 3:27 am
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: None, landlocked CO
Favorite Beaches: Maui, Turqs, Hood River for Aug
Gear: Drifters, 2018 7, 9, Airusdh Ultra 12 2019
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Minor repairs to carbon wing

Postby skideeppow » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:53 pm

Foil wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:12 pm
simply the blue roll type you can get from hardware stores, or nick the wife's kitchen roll but not the stuff that has fluffy ragged edges when you tear it, they may leave micro shards of paper dust in the air when you tear or are using it. cheap type kitchen roll basicly, the best stuff is from Aldi which you find in the tools section.
Still have no idea what you are talking about. And i googled this and nothing came up. Garage Paper?

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:28 pm
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: Minor repairs to carbon wing

Postby cwood » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:54 pm

skideeppow wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:53 pm
Foil wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:12 pm
simply the blue roll type you can get from hardware stores, or nick the wife's kitchen roll but not the stuff that has fluffy ragged edges when you tear it, they may leave micro shards of paper dust in the air when you tear or are using it. cheap type kitchen roll basicly, the best stuff is from Aldi which you find in the tools section.
Still have no idea what you are talking about. And i googled this and nothing came up. Garage Paper?
The north american term would be "shop towels" usually look like a paper towel roll but blue in color and no pretty embossed pattern. perforated sheets.

nixmatters
Medium Poster
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:38 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: custom made
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Minor repairs to carbon wing

Postby nixmatters » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:10 pm

skideeppow wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:53 pm
Foil wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:12 pm
simply the blue roll type you can get from hardware stores, or nick the wife's kitchen roll but not the stuff that has fluffy ragged edges when you tear it, they may leave micro shards of paper dust in the air when you tear or are using it. cheap type kitchen roll basicly, the best stuff is from Aldi which you find in the tools section.
Still have no idea what you are talking about. And i googled this and nothing came up. Garage Paper?
Scott Shop Towels Original (75147), Blue, 55 Sheets/Standard Roll, 12 Rolls/Case, 660 Towels/Case

MaximumAC
Medium Poster
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:00 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Assateague MD
Gear: North; BRM; Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Minor repairs to carbon wing

Postby MaximumAC » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:28 am

scuffed the leading edge of my wing but there's a small stretch where I can tell i've penetrated the skin. For this fix just JB welding putty with some tape over top and then a fine sand? Perhaps fill with glazing putty first and then a light coat of some epoxy or JB? I'm sure there's a dozen ways to skin this cat, but it's my first new carbon wing so i'm pretty nervous. (photos make it look a little worse than it actually is due to lighting)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 7.26.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-08-01 at 7.26.33 PM.png

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 771
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:44 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: New brighton beach-Derby pool end,Wallasey, near Liverpool
Favorite Beaches: holidays - Flag beach and Matas bay + sotavento on fuerteventura
Home - New Brighton,Rhosneigr, Ainsdale, Fleetwood, Newbrough
Style: improving foiler.
Gear: Groove Skate 130, naked carbon,gold stripes
101cm Moses Carbon mast
71+90cm Slingshot masts with moses adaptor
Moses- 633 and 683s and 790 wing sets
Ozone V4 Reo 6/8/9
Ozone Chrono V3 UL foil kites -15/13/9
Ozone Hyperlink ultra light 5mtr
Ozone compact V4 bars,click in, 16+23 mtr lines
North 2018 click bar with Q power lines
Nobile 50/50 twin tip
massive grin
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 74 times

Re: Minor repairs to carbon wing

Postby Foil » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:46 am

yes done that, thought my wing was dead after seeing the inside foam,
fixed mine and it looked like new.(and was back to flying fast and true.
what I did-
first using a very small micro screwdriver mini flat blade type, I scraped out a deep V into the open nose edge, this would allow a deep seating area for the JB marine epoxy, and ensure the epoxy would key into the top and bottom skins and give a epoxy bumper for future impacts and scrapes,

the wing needs to be fixed secure edge up when applying the JB. and cover the undamaged surfaced to prevent JB epoxy running down and sticking to them.

Using a slightly larger mini slot edge screwdriver I layed on a line of JB, ensure the JB is warm and runny and push the epoxy into the gap, being patient as you go and tease out any bubbles with small little dibbing in movements,

Leave to set until like putty to the touch, around 4-6 hrs,
using wet fingers mould the jb to the correct shape and leave to set,
covering it with tape did not work when previously used, the putty stage and finger shaping works just fine.

when set hard 400 wet paper to get the profile back to new, any bubbles or imperfections will need another application of JB, being very fussy may need yet another fine application and wet finish with 800 then 1200 wet paper.

Finish with filler primer spray, and the next day a final wet 1200 finish under strong lights.

Dry and secure the wing, close all windows and doors, warm the air if cold or damp, then 2 or three light coats of gloss black.
leave for 24 hrs.
Using T cut then bring back to new all over the wing,
:thumb:
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
MaximumAC (Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:18 pm)
Rating: 10%

alowishus
Medium Poster
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:38 pm
Kiting since: 14
Gear: ozone airush slingshot moses
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Minor repairs to carbon wing

Postby alowishus » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:14 am

MaximumAC wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:28 am
scuffed the leading edge of my wing but there's a small stretch where I can tell i've penetrated the skin. For this fix just JB welding putty with some tape over top and then a fine sand? Perhaps fill with glazing putty first and then a light coat of some epoxy or JB? I'm sure there's a dozen ways to skin this cat, but it's my first new carbon wing so i'm pretty nervous. (photos make it look a little worse than it actually is due to lighting)
Out of interest, how did you do that damage to the wing?

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 771
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:44 pm
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: New brighton beach-Derby pool end,Wallasey, near Liverpool
Favorite Beaches: holidays - Flag beach and Matas bay + sotavento on fuerteventura
Home - New Brighton,Rhosneigr, Ainsdale, Fleetwood, Newbrough
Style: improving foiler.
Gear: Groove Skate 130, naked carbon,gold stripes
101cm Moses Carbon mast
71+90cm Slingshot masts with moses adaptor
Moses- 633 and 683s and 790 wing sets
Ozone V4 Reo 6/8/9
Ozone Chrono V3 UL foil kites -15/13/9
Ozone Hyperlink ultra light 5mtr
Ozone compact V4 bars,click in, 16+23 mtr lines
North 2018 click bar with Q power lines
Nobile 50/50 twin tip
massive grin
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 33 times
Been thanked: 74 times

Re: Minor repairs to carbon wing

Postby Foil » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:40 am

Photos of my last repair,
Having spare wings is a must, it gives you time do do a good repair, which can take a week to do between drying times and final 3 day cure,
Image Image Image
Image[/URL]
[URL=https://www.directupload.net]Image
Image Image Image loopIMG]https://s18.directupload.net/images/190802/cn6q66b7.jpg[/IMG][/URL] Image
[URL=https://www.directupload.net]Image

MaximumAC
Medium Poster
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:00 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Assateague MD
Gear: North; BRM; Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Minor repairs to carbon wing

Postby MaximumAC » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:23 pm

Kite and prone surf in unreasonably shallow waters with lots of shells. As I said, it doesn't look nearly as bad in person, I think there are only a few small spots that actually penetrated the outer skin. I'm just coming off of a slingshot H4 which I could abuse badly with nary a nick, so I clearly need to recalibrate my tolerance to the shallows. Had no idea a carbon wing would be so sensitive. I didn't have any major impacts, just some light nosing into the sand 2-3 times. I also upped my mast size at the same time as switching to Moses wing, so my sense of depth was also thrown off a bit.

alowishus wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:14 am
MaximumAC wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:28 am
scuffed the leading edge of my wing but there's a small stretch where I can tell i've penetrated the skin. For this fix just JB welding putty with some tape over top and then a fine sand? Perhaps fill with glazing putty first and then a light coat of some epoxy or JB? I'm sure there's a dozen ways to skin this cat, but it's my first new carbon wing so i'm pretty nervous. (photos make it look a little worse than it actually is due to lighting)
Out of interest, how did you do that damage to the wing?

MaximumAC
Medium Poster
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:00 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Assateague MD
Gear: North; BRM; Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Minor repairs to carbon wing

Postby MaximumAC » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:43 pm

So you used the plastic filler primer to coat the whole wing and fill in tiny scratches, then sanded down and sprayed over with gloss finish black?
Foil wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:40 am
Photos of my last repair,
Having spare wings is a must, it gives you time do do a good repair, which can take a week to do between drying times and final 3 day cure,
Image Image Image
Image[/URL]
[URL=https://www.directupload.net]Image
Image Image Image loopIMG]https://s18.directupload.net/images/190802/cn6q66b7.jpg[/IMG][/URL] Image
[URL=https://www.directupload.net]Image


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: elguapo, wavy navy and 3 guests

cron