Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Moses 790 wing

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
elguapo
Frequent Poster
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:01 pm
Favorite Beaches: cabarete, kanaha
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 50 times
Been thanked: 53 times

Re: Moses 790 wing

Postby elguapo » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:42 pm

slowboat wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:53 am
Another question is behavior of 790/710 fuse on its side. Float, sink slowly, sink fast? Thanks
it floats. very well...
These users thanked the author elguapo for the post:
slowboat (Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:51 pm)
Rating: 10%

elguapo
Frequent Poster
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:01 pm
Favorite Beaches: cabarete, kanaha
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 50 times
Been thanked: 53 times

Re: Moses 790 wing

Postby elguapo » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:16 pm

rolfjoosten wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:31 pm
live2play wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:33 am
So given the options available, 633, 683s and 790, which would be your number one choice?
Maybe this depends on the conditions you kite. Here in Barbados we have winds between 10 kts and 25kts around the year. Never completely flat but always swells and mostly breaking waves on the reef. I like to use small kites. Mainly using my Duotone Neos 6, 8 and 9 on 24m lines and in super light winds for me (9 to 13kts) I take out my Soul10 on 17m lines.
I have used most of the Moses wings except the race wings. Since using the 633 I have not used my 548, 550 and 558 anymore. I tried the 873 when it came out but found it way too big for kiting. Eventually I bought the 683S and the 790. Since having the 683S I don't enjoy the 633 anymore. It feels like much more resistance due to the thicker profile. Bottom end is almost the same but top end on 683 is and feels much higher. I also prefer the 683S in waves sailing down the line. The 790 is a great wing but for my liking also a bit too slow and not nimble enough... So for me it is the 683S on a T22 board strapless at 85kg.
My son loves the 790 for pumping and surfing. 20190416_141045.jpg
so i got a lot more time on water with 790 over weekend.

the 760 is definitely much easier to pump...and ride swell than a 633(not nimble to someone else... is probably "more stable" in my eyes).
i cant recall myself myself being able to pump independent of kite on 633 (but i've seen it done on youtube)

i have vivid memories of getting pushed too fast on a 633 while learning...and the resulting wipeouts (i still recall those oos and ahhs from beach goers...as i was twirling unintentionally in the air at max speed)

the 790 doesnt feel like it wants to buck me off at speed like a 633(the 790 felt stable while speeding on beem reach)... i just assumed my skills were improving..or maybe performance of 633 was affected from hitting 1 too many reefs)

(i didnt/cant measure my speed...so no clue on actual speed comparisons to a 633)

as i'm not a racer.. the 790 is ideal for me (preference is loitering around in surf)
(if i purchased the 790 1st..i'd have no need for a 633)

biggest nickpick is just the size...
the 633 didnt require me taking apart my foilboard.
the 790 requires me removing the fuse to fit the board in my suv

slowboat
Frequent Poster
Posts: 432
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:55 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: Moses 790 wing

Postby slowboat » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:04 pm

elguapo wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:16 pm
rolfjoosten wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:31 pm
live2play wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:33 am
So given the options available, 633, 683s and 790, which would be your number one choice?
Maybe this depends on the conditions you kite. Here in Barbados we have winds between 10 kts and 25kts around the year. Never completely flat but always swells and mostly breaking waves on the reef. I like to use small kites. Mainly using my Duotone Neos 6, 8 and 9 on 24m lines and in super light winds for me (9 to 13kts) I take out my Soul10 on 17m lines.
I have used most of the Moses wings except the race wings. Since using the 633 I have not used my 548, 550 and 558 anymore. I tried the 873 when it came out but found it way too big for kiting. Eventually I bought the 683S and the 790. Since having the 683S I don't enjoy the 633 anymore. It feels like much more resistance due to the thicker profile. Bottom end is almost the same but top end on 683 is and feels much higher. I also prefer the 683S in waves sailing down the line. The 790 is a great wing but for my liking also a bit too slow and not nimble enough... So for me it is the 683S on a T22 board strapless at 85kg.
My son loves the 790 for pumping and surfing. 20190416_141045.jpg
so i got a lot more time on water with 790 over weekend.

the 760 is definitely much easier to pump...and ride swell than a 633(not nimble to someone else... is probably "more stable" in my eyes).
i cant recall myself myself being able to pump independent of kite on 633 (but i've seen it done on youtube)

i have vivid memories of getting pushed too fast on a 633 while learning...and the resulting wipeouts (i still recall those oos and ahhs from beach goers...as i was twirling unintentionally in the air at max speed)

the 790 doesnt feel like it wants to buck me off at speed like a 633(the 790 felt stable while speeding on beem reach)... i just assumed my skills were improving..or maybe performance of 633 was affected from hitting 1 too many reefs)

(i didnt/cant measure my speed...so no clue on actual speed comparisons to a 633)

as i'm not a racer.. the 790 is ideal for me (preference is loitering around in surf)
(if i purchased the 790 1st..i'd have no need for a 633)

biggest nickpick is just the size...
the 633 didnt require me taking apart my foilboard.
the 790 requires me removing the fuse to fit the board in my suv
So do you think you could use one Peak size smaller going from 633 to 790?

rolfjoosten
Rare Poster
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:31 am
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Christ Church
Favorite Beaches: Silver Rock Barbados - home
Style: Fun
Gear: Strapless Wave, Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Moses 790 wing

Postby rolfjoosten » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:47 pm

slowboat wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:24 am
rolfjoosten wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:31 pm
live2play wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:33 am
So given the options available, 633, 683s and 790, which would be your number one choice?
Maybe this depends on the conditions you kite. Here in Barbados we have winds between 10 kts and 25kts around the year. Never completely flat but always swells and mostly breaking waves on the reef. I like to use small kites. Mainly using my Duotone Neos 6, 8 and 9 on 24m lines and in super light winds for me (9 to 13kts) I take out my Soul10 on 17m lines.
I have used most of the Moses wings except the race wings. Since using the 633 I have not used my 548, 550 and 558 anymore. I tried the 873 when it came out but found it way too big for kiting. Eventually I bought the 683S and the 790. Since having the 683S I don't enjoy the 633 anymore. It feels like much more resistance due to the thicker profile. Bottom end is almost the same but top end on 683 is and feels much higher. I also prefer the 683S in waves sailing down the line. The 790 is a great wing but for my liking also a bit too slow and not nimble enough... So for me it is the 683S on a T22 board strapless at 85kg.
My son loves the 790 for pumping and surfing. 20190416_141045.jpg
Do you think the 790 has a significantly better low end than 633/683 for kiting?
It definitely has a better low end than the 633 and the 683S. But honestly in my opinion it is almost negligible if you are not planning to go in super light winds. All 3 wings pop right up on the foil when waterstarting for me.
In terms of floating on the side, the 790 floats all the time, the 633 is floating mostly and starts sinking slowly with the swell after a while. The 683S does not float at all, it slowly sinks but is still easy to waterstart strapless.
These users thanked the author rolfjoosten for the post:
slowboat (Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:49 pm)
Rating: 10%

elguapo
Frequent Poster
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:01 pm
Favorite Beaches: cabarete, kanaha
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 50 times
Been thanked: 53 times

Re: Moses 790 wing

Postby elguapo » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:15 pm

no.. i dont think so. (well at least with my quiver)
i'd say lower limit for kite is same....but it seems easier to start flying on foil immediately


winds were gusty...but im guessing in 15 knot avg range (not what i'd consider a "low wind" day)
others were hydrofoiling on 10m and 12m foil kites.. i was fine with a 6m soul and 5m peak4 (also had a 4,5 wave with me)

no probs on immediate start with the 6m and 5m..but 4,5m needed too much work. (which would have been par for course with 633 at same windspeed)
i had no problems keeping foil flying..once actually on the foil (including on the the way-too-small-for-wind wave)

lower limits on kite size= where the kite can pull my big butt out the water and onto board(im 77kg these days)

i've never flown a peak4 smaller than 5m..no sot sure how one would behave.

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:53 pm
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Moses 790 wing

Postby PurdyKiter » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:41 pm

Here's another 790 question:
With the 633 there is a minor annoyance where it will float on it's side after I crash... and often leave the scene worse that any twin-tip. It's not normally a problem but now that I'm also learning the talents of foil kite flying & crashes..... I'd prefer that the 633 wouldn't leave so quickly.
Does the 790 sink enough to discourage this post-crash wandering? The 633 leaves upwind, which is even more problematic in The Gorge with river currents. (Another first-world problem) :)
Thank You.

elguapo
Frequent Poster
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:01 pm
Favorite Beaches: cabarete, kanaha
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 50 times
Been thanked: 53 times

Re: Moses 790 wing

Postby elguapo » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:14 pm

PurdyKiter wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:41 pm
Here's another 790 question:
With the 633 there is a minor annoyance where it will float on it's side after I crash... and often leave the scene worse that any twin-tip. It's not normally a problem but now that I'm also learning the talents of foil kite flying & crashes..... I'd prefer that the 633 wouldn't leave so quickly.
Does the 790 sink enough to discourage this post-crash wandering? The 633 leaves upwind, which is even more problematic in The Gorge with river currents. (Another first-world problem) :)
Thank You.
absolutely not.
almost always it will float downwind or actually surf a wave on its own when in swell. (on a fluente 91 mast and newwind t38 board)

imo, this is not a negative. after a crash..i can take my time and know i can get to my board with a quick loop downwind

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:53 pm
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Moses 790 wing

Postby PurdyKiter » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:06 pm

elguapo wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:14 pm
PurdyKiter wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:41 pm
Here's another 790 question:
With the 633 there is a minor annoyance where it will float on it's side after I crash... and often leave the scene worse that any twin-tip. It's not normally a problem but now that I'm also learning the talents of foil kite flying & crashes..... I'd prefer that the 633 wouldn't leave so quickly.
Does the 790 sink enough to discourage this post-crash wandering? The 633 leaves upwind, which is even more problematic in The Gorge with river currents. (Another first-world problem) :)
Thank You.
absolutely not.
almost always it will float downwind or actually surf a wave on its own when in swell. (on a fluente 91 mast and newwind t38 board)

imo, this is not a negative. after a crash..i can take my time and know i can get to my board with a quick loop downwind
OK, A quick downloop to the board is typically what I've had my whole career (Ghost Whisperer, Stringy, LP) but the 633 is much different. The 633 requires up-wind body drags. Not sure why? You'd think on it's side it would follow down-wind a la Go Joe. Here's my 633, Onda 91 mast, Kanaha Shapes 37. So the 790 would respond differently?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_rXSE1U0ho&t=5s

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1755
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:12 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; SPI; La Ventana
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Slingshot Turbine 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/91/105cm masts 590/683s/633 wings, Tim's 36" "woody", Slingshot Micro 3'6", MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot SST 5m 2018 $500, Slingshot SST 6m 2018 $600, Slingshot SST 10m 2017 $500, Core XR4 10m $840, Core XR4 13.5m $970, Core XR4 17m $1060, Slingshot Turbine 5m 2017 like new $450, Slingshot Turbine 15m 2018 like new $1100, BROkite carbon board 140x44 like new complete $650, Slingshot Rally 6m 2017 like new $530, Slingshot Guardian 20" brand new $290
.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 93 times

Re: Moses 790 wing

Postby grigorib » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:18 pm

PurdyKiter wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:06 pm
elguapo wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:14 pm
PurdyKiter wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:41 pm
Here's another 790 question:
With the 633 there is a minor annoyance where it will float on it's side after I crash... and often leave the scene worse that any twin-tip. It's not normally a problem but now that I'm also learning the talents of foil kite flying & crashes..... I'd prefer that the 633 wouldn't leave so quickly.
Does the 790 sink enough to discourage this post-crash wandering? The 633 leaves upwind, which is even more problematic in The Gorge with river currents. (Another first-world problem) :)
Thank You.
absolutely not.
almost always it will float downwind or actually surf a wave on its own when in swell. (on a fluente 91 mast and newwind t38 board)

imo, this is not a negative. after a crash..i can take my time and know i can get to my board with a quick loop downwind
OK, A quick downloop to the board is typically what I've had my whole career (Ghost Whisperer, Stringy, LP) but the 633 is much different. The 633 requires up-wind body drags. Not sure why? You'd think on it's side it would follow down-wind a la Go Joe. Here's my 633, Onda 91 mast, Kanaha Shapes 37. So the 790 would respond differently?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_rXSE1U0ho&t=5s
I believe 790 is more floaty than 633

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9266
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 96 times

Re: Moses 790 wing

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:32 pm

Agree grigorib, so something does not make sense in the above post answer to PurdyKiter...

These big wings float, which for some is great as fast to waterstart when crashed, for others a PITA as the foil sails away on its own, personal preferences only.

8) PF


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: evan, Rufusz, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests

cron