Weight: 200 lb
Local Beach: Miami beach
Style: foil
Gear: airush
Brand Affiliation: None

boxer looping

Postby dkazhdan » Mon May 27, 2019 3:07 am

hi
wondering if its anyone else's experience that boxers generate too much power in the loops?
i am a beginner learning transitions on a foil and find that I can't control the surge when I loop my 8m boxer. it literally throws me off the board.

Trying to make those loops tight doesn't seem to help much.

interestingly my other 2 kites ( 6m sst and 12m gong) loop just fine.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Re: boxer looping

Postby jakemoore » Mon May 27, 2019 3:22 am

One of the things I love about the Boxer is how it makes power as it flies through he window.

You might try over-sheeting it a bit so the loop is stalled out. You could also ride downwind more.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post:
dkazhdan (Mon May 27, 2019 3:36 am)
Rating: 3.03%

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Mon May 27, 2019 5:04 am

And turn your bar harder to start the loop. This makes the loop tighter and generates less power.
In light wind I start my downloop after my footswitch but before I have begun turning my board downwind.
Timing is important.. if you are going straight downwind when the kite loops you will get very little power.

I downloop my Boxer 12m all the time.

:-) CG
These users thanked the author cglazier for the post:
dkazhdan (Mon May 27, 2019 3:13 pm)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon May 27, 2019 6:52 am

If this kite has good depower, and I reckon it has if flying very forward in the window as tests say, I would embrace this feature that it has loads of power when looped :thumb:

You dont ever need to downloop the kite, at least not when turning or jibing, so if too much power use upsweeps here instead where only YOU control how much power you get.

And then when in the low end, enjoy the option to start by looping the kite and get power, as this is the only downside for freeriders with LEI compared to foil kites, that the LEI dont have the same powersweep.

I dont know which winds you are using the 8 m2 in for foiling (your weight and wings), but if using a bigger wing and average weight, you might end up using the 8 when its 10 to 12 max 13 knots and then rig down above this.

Right now you might probably be using it in more wind, easier when learning, and indeed, a downloop can pull you off the board in so much wind and when new - so try to avoid these till later when you can control it or need it, and you might ride in a lot less wind later.

A kite that pulls in the loops is IMO great, as so many LEI kites do not :rollgrin:

Individual preferences of course, but I would love this feature as it expands the windrange of the kite a lot.

A 12 m2 LEI kite rarely pulls much when looped, because of the lower wind, also its size alone makes them "dead" when looped in low wind.

But I can see a problem if your 6 and 8 are TOO different to get used to, for you :roll:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
dkazhdan (Mon May 27, 2019 3:13 pm)

dkazhdan
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 200 lb
Local Beach: Miami beach
Style: foil
Gear: airush

Postby dkazhdan » Mon May 27, 2019 7:14 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 6:52 am
If this kite has good depower, and I reckon it has if flying very forward in the window as tests say, I would embrace this feature that it has loads of power when looped :thumb:

You dont ever need to downloop the kite, at least not when turning or jibing, so if too much power use upsweeps here instead where only YOU control how much power you get.

And then when in the low end, enjoy the option to start by looping the kite and get power, as this is the only downside for freeriders with LEI compared to foil kites, that the LEI dont have the same powersweep.

I dont know which winds you are using the 8 m2 in for foiling (your weight and wings), but if using a bigger wing and average weight, you might end up using the 8 when its 10 to 12 max 13 knots and then rig down above this.

Right now you might probably be using it in more wind, easier when learning, and indeed, a downloop can pull you off the board in so much wind and when new - so try to avoid these till later when you can control it or need it, and you might ride in a lot less wind later.

A kite that pulls in the loops is IMO great, as so many LEI kites do not :rollgrin:

Individual preferences of course, but I would love this feature as it expands the windrange of the kite a lot.

A 12 m2 LEI kite rarely pulls much when looped, because of the lower wind, also its size alone makes them "dead" when looped in low wind.

But I can see a problem if your 6 and 8 are TOO different to get used to, for you :roll:

8) Peter
Thanks for the reply,
This makes sense, I am 200 pounds riding a P-foil and I get overpowered at 14-15 knots flying that 8m boxer, most likely I just need to rig down.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue May 28, 2019 6:16 pm

It seems that the best cure for excess power on a downloop is to go faster. When you're really slow, the downloop sort of slams you with power whereas when you're moving faster, it's a nice jolt but isn't this huge torquey tug off your board all of a sudden.
These users thanked the author Mossy 757 for the post:
dkazhdan (Tue May 28, 2019 6:25 pm)

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue May 28, 2019 7:00 pm

Sell it and switch the Pivot. Can't really do anything about how much power that kite generates in a loop.

Just my opinion.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
dkazhdan (Tue May 28, 2019 7:39 pm)

Return to “Hydrofoil”