Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kites available in sizes smaller than 4m?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
gbrungra
Medium Poster
Posts: 180
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:53 pm
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Stinky's, San Diego, CA, USA, and Nantucket, MA, USA
Gear: Griffin 17m TRX 2014, Cabrihna 12m Vector 2014, TTs, Camet 160 and SS Hoverglide
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Kites available in sizes smaller than 4m?

Postby gbrungra » Thu May 30, 2019 7:56 am

This thread is blowing my mind.

I learned on a 17m. After 5 years, and learning to foil, I’ve still never kited with anything smaller than a 12m.

User avatar
K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Posts: 269
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:42 pm
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Kites available in sizes smalelr than 4m?

Postby K-Roy » Thu May 30, 2019 10:59 am

windmaker wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:21 am
I also own a quiver of 4/5/6 and 8m Bandits and also a 3m Breeze. It is excellent for hydrofoiling in strong winds, super smooth and progressive, my no limits kite!
Hello Windmaker,

I have a quiver of Bandits, with 6m as the smallest, thinking of getting a 4m as well.
Would you recommend the 4m Breeze as a better high wind foil kite option and why?

thx

User avatar
jkrug
Frequent Poster
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:17 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Kites available in sizes smaller than 4m?

Postby jkrug » Thu May 30, 2019 11:38 am

gbrungra wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 7:56 am
This thread is blowing my mind.

I learned on a 17m. After 5 years, and learning to foil, I’ve still never kited with anything smaller than a 12m.
yeah, there are some comments here that border on ludicrous. to say a 4m has an upper limit of 20 knots is :rollgrin:. i've been on my 12m plenty of times when it's around 20 knots, no problem (not great, but no problem). maybe if you weigh 50 pounds... realistically, an 8m will do fine well into the 20's. if it's blowing near 40 (as the chart shows at the beginning of this thread), now we're talking these smaller sizes.

elguapo
Frequent Poster
Posts: 262
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:01 pm
Favorite Beaches: cabarete, kanaha
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: Kites available in sizes smaller than 4m?

Postby elguapo » Thu May 30, 2019 12:28 pm

gbrungra wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 7:56 am
This thread is blowing my mind.

I learned on a 17m. After 5 years, and learning to foil, I’ve still never kited with anything smaller than a 12m.
i'm learning that 8m is about the biggest i like to go these days...

junebug
Frequent Poster
Posts: 285
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:14 pm
Kiting since: 2007
Gear: Twintip
Foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Kites available in sizes smaller than 4m?

Postby junebug » Thu May 30, 2019 3:28 pm

jkrug wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:38 am
gbrungra wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 7:56 am
This thread is blowing my mind.

I learned on a 17m. After 5 years, and learning to foil, I’ve still never kited with anything smaller than a 12m.
yeah, there are some comments here that border on ludicrous. to say a 4m has an upper limit of 20 knots is :rollgrin:. i've been on my 12m plenty of times when it's around 20 knots, no problem (not great, but no problem). maybe if you weigh 50 pounds... realistically, an 8m will do fine well into the 20's. if it's blowing near 40 (as the chart shows at the beginning of this thread), now we're talking these smaller sizes.
I don’t like flying my 4m SST over 21kn. It can be done, of course, but it’s not my preference. I like being able to kill power on demand and put the kite anywhere in the window whenever I want.

I can’t imagine flying a 12m in 20kn. I change my 7m out for my 5m at 15/16kn and my 5m for my 4m at 18/19kn.

190lbs/Lift 150/33in wood plank home build.

YMMV
These users thanked the author junebug for the post:
matanshapira (Thu May 30, 2019 9:20 pm)
Rating: 10%

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9266
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 96 times

Re: Kites available in sizes smaller than 4m?

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu May 30, 2019 4:00 pm

elguapo wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 12:28 pm
gbrungra wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 7:56 am
This thread is blowing my mind.

I learned on a 17m. After 5 years, and learning to foil, I’ve still never kited with anything smaller than a 12m.
i'm learning that 8m is about the biggest i like to go these days...

Yup, average weights on the surf foils we use now, can ride an 8 m2 in 9-10 knots, and start rigging down from 13 knots :naughty:

A new world :thumb:

8) Peter

foilfun
Rare Poster
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:58 am
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Hefner, Oklahoma City
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Texas
Style: freestyle foiling
Gear: LP, North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Kites available in sizes smaller than 4m?

Postby foilfun » Thu May 30, 2019 5:20 pm

Foiling on a lake with a small kite is great. It's similar to foiling small shore break at the ocean. I use an old 3.5m Best and 2m Airush on 19m lines with my NP surf wing. No jumping, but still very fun. After riding the 2m, the 3.5m seems slow with lots of grunt. 😨
Attachments
wp_ss_20190530_0001.png
Last edited by foilfun on Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9266
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 96 times

Re: Kites available in sizes smaller than 4m?

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu May 30, 2019 5:32 pm

Great picture, the 3.5 is a huge badass kite now :rollgrin:

Btw, your mast seems extremely short, 50 cm?
Must be difficult to avoid the board touching the water now and then in these wind waves when carving tight :roll:

Good exercise though, as way more difficult, respect :D

8) PF

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1599
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:48 am
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 20 times
Contact:

Re: Kites available in sizes smalelr than 4m?

Postby windmaker » Thu May 30, 2019 7:09 pm

K-Roy wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:59 am
windmaker wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:21 am
I also own a quiver of 4/5/6 and 8m Bandits and also a 3m Breeze. It is excellent for hydrofoiling in strong winds, super smooth and progressive, my no limits kite!
Hello Windmaker,

I have a quiver of Bandits, with 6m as the smallest, thinking of getting a 4m as well.
Would you recommend the 4m Breeze as a better high wind foil kite option and why?

thx
I initially bought a 3m Breeze because the Bandit didn't exist in smaller than 4m but don't regret it. I am even thinking of replacing in the future my 4m Bandit with the same size Breeze. This kite is super light in the hands but with a very good bar feeling. It is less punchy than the Bandit (not good for jumping) and drifts like crazy. Could be also excellent on a surfboard. The power is slightly less than the equivalent bandit so 4m Breeze= Bandit 3.5m (if it existed).

Here is a video of someone riding a 5m Breeze (25kts) 15m lines).


foilfun
Rare Poster
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:58 am
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Hefner, Oklahoma City
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Texas
Style: freestyle foiling
Gear: LP, North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Kites available in sizes smaller than 4m?

Postby foilfun » Thu May 30, 2019 9:39 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 5:32 pm
Great picture, the 3.5 is a huge badass kite now :rollgrin:

Btw, your mast seems extremely short, 50 cm?
Must be difficult to avoid the board touching the water now and then in these wind waves when carving tight :roll:

Good exercise though, as way more difficult, respect :D

8) PF
Yup, that's a short mast I was testing out that day. I usually use a 70cm with that wing.That wing is so good that the short one worked surprisingly well. But the 70cm is much more fun.
These users thanked the author foilfun for the post:
Peter_Frank (Thu May 30, 2019 10:56 pm)
Rating: 10%


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Pemba, Strekke and 5 guests

cron