junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Gear: Twintip
Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The

Postby junebug » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:29 pm

Back to the subject of this thread, the normal tack.

I didn’t work on these for several weeks because we had some great wind (18kn+) and I wanted to use my small board. The good wind has departed, and I’ve worked on these the past 2-3 sessions with a larger board that allows a larger margin of error.

I can confirm that they are really hard. I’ve never ridden a directional, so just getting the surface tack is taking some time. I’m at the point where I’m getting about 1 in 3 on starboard and 1 in 5 on port, all on the surface still. The thing I’m having the most difficulty with is the the little flick you give the board with your feet to get the nose around. In the Ketos tutorial, they don’t mention it. They just say to carve the board through upwind. In other videos, like the Duotone app, they mention the flick prominently.

I’ve made them both ways, with and without the foot flick, but I’m having a difficult time controlling the flick when I try it, and it always puts the board in the wrong position, typically over rotation. When I don’t do the flick, the nose doesn’t always go through upwind, so the flick helps, I just can’t control it.

So I’m curious: for those of you who do this, flick or no flick?

oregonkiter
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: foil
Gear: Slingshot 633/590/DC36/SST
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby oregonkiter » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:04 pm

Big break through day on toeside back to healside tacks yesterday. I thought I was sheeted out--was not. I thought I was sending the kite to the new side of travel--not far enough. I had a friend watch me who is good at them. Told me this:

1. as you head upwind send kite to new side and sheet ALL the way out AS you send the kite. So both movements are smooth and coordinated together. Relax and feel the pull and location of the kite
2. WAIT to pull bar across your face and rotate upper boady until you FEEL the kite pulling you from the new side. This was so key. WAIT
3. Body position for now is slightly leaning into the wind--not too much--with an arched lower back.

I am sure I will refine/adjust my technique as time goes on, but for now I went from getting around occasionally using blind luck, having no idea where my board was to expecting to get around with a tap touchdown, and several on foil and feeling the board carve under my feet.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Ozone, Axis, Moses, Zeeko, Firewire, SBS
Brand Affiliation: Foiling Basics, The Boardroom Fuerteventura, Ozone, Axiskiteboarding,Schwerelosigkite, Triggernaut,

Postby gmb13 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:29 am

junebug wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:29 pm
Back to the subject of this thread, the normal tack.

I didn’t work on these for several weeks because we had some great wind (18kn+) and I wanted to use my small board. The good wind has departed, and I’ve worked on these the past 2-3 sessions with a larger board that allows a larger margin of error.

I can confirm that they are really hard. I’ve never ridden a directional, so just getting the surface tack is taking some time. I’m at the point where I’m getting about 1 in 3 on starboard and 1 in 5 on port, all on the surface still. The thing I’m having the most difficulty with is the the little flick you give the board with your feet to get the nose around. In the Ketos tutorial, they don’t mention it. They just say to carve the board through upwind. In other videos, like the Duotone app, they mention the flick prominently.

I’ve made them both ways, with and without the foot flick, but I’m having a difficult time controlling the flick when I try it, and it always puts the board in the wrong position, typically over rotation. When I don’t do the flick, the nose doesn’t always go through upwind, so the flick helps, I just can’t control it.

So I’m curious: for those of you who do this, flick or no flick?
The flick is actually very difficult to master as the outcome is pretty random.

What I find is the best way, is to pretty much tack all the way to toeside and and only lift up my feet at the last second. I also lift my back foot slightly earlier than my front foot as the front foot keeps the board unter control.

Check out the video from last year. The straight tack is at 0.39 Seconds.

Also here at 0.40

--
Gunnar
These users thanked the author gmb13 for the post:
junebug (Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:18 pm)
Rating: 10%

Return to “Hydrofoil”