Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

SUPfoil touring

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
gbrungra
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Stinky's, San Diego, CA, USA, and Nantucket, MA, USA
Gear: Griffin 17m TRX 2014, Cabrihna 12m Vector 2014, TTs, Camet 160 and SS Hoverglide
Brand Affiliation: None

SUPfoil touring

Postby gbrungra » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:33 am

I know the Hawaii guys do big offshore downwinders, but how about the mainlanders?

On a SUPfoil, without a kite, could you foil down the line resting, then pump out to the nest wave, and cover distance down the coast with any kind of reasonable effort?

Maybe only with swell coming in at an angle to shore, and only in that direction, so then you can’t foil back to your starting place?

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Re: SUPfoil touring

Postby tkaraszewski » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:44 am

I have friends who do normal (non-foil) SUP downwinders on the California coast (north of Santa Cruz) so I don’t see why you couldn’t do it with a foil, too.

gbrungra
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Stinky's, San Diego, CA, USA, and Nantucket, MA, USA
Gear: Griffin 17m TRX 2014, Cabrihna 12m Vector 2014, TTs, Camet 160 and SS Hoverglide

Postby gbrungra » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:58 am

So let's call Hawaiian style an "open ocean downwinder" and come up with a different name for my idea. "Coastal downwinder"? "Down sweller"? (Because there doesn't need to be wind, just waves?)

2. Is is possible to do a coastal downwinder while staying (mostly) up on foil?

3. Is is possible to do a coastal downwinder, while staying mostly on foil, against the direction of the swell?

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:53 am

gbrungra wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:58 am
So let's call Hawaiian style an "open ocean downwinder" and come up with a different name for my idea. "Coastal downwinder"? "Down sweller"? (Because there doesn't need to be wind, just waves?)

3. Is is possible to do a coastal downwinder, while staying mostly on foil, against the direction of the swell?
2. Yes. If you have the right foil (Large Downwind Wing) and more importantly the skills. What looks easy on videos, is in really difficult in reality. A huge part or downwinding is reading the sea and finding the best wave or bump to stay on. Also that it is a lot more tiring than most people think when you do not have the wind pushing you from behind. I can do long distances downwind when its 20knots plus, but without wind just with waves I am dead after 3 minutes.

3. In theory yes, BUT this is really hard to do and would involve a lot of pumping from wave to wave or Bump to Bump. Probably will not get far.

--
Gunnar
These users thanked the author gmb13 for the post:
gbrungra (Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:23 am)
Rating: 3.03%

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:47 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:53 am
gbrungra wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:58 am

2. Yes. If you have the right foil (Large Downwind Wing) and more importantly the skills. What looks easy on videos, is in really difficult in reality. A huge part or downwinding is reading the sea and finding the best wave or bump to stay on. Also that it is a lot more tiring than most people think when you do not have the wind pushing you from behind. I can do long distances downwind when its 20knots plus, but without wind just with waves I am dead after 3 minutes.

3. In theory yes, BUT this is really hard to do and would involve a lot of pumping from wave to wave or Bump to Bump. Probably will not get far.

--
Gunnar

impressive video...but looks incredibly exhausting

Return to “Hydrofoil”