Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

looking for a new Lightwind tubekite Help!

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Re: looking for a new Lightwind tubekite Help!

Postby Tony » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:28 pm

Qiter wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:13 pm
Tony wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:05 pm
I'm curious about how much difference there is between 10m and 12m single strut kites on the foil?
This was recently discussed, see here:
viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2401807

Hope this helps,
Did not see that thread before. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby junebug » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:02 pm

My experience is with 3 strut wave kites only, but I have found that there is no real benefit at my weight (195lbs) and equipment (Lift 150) to a 12m. I can go down to 8/9 knots (in warm thermal wind) with a 10m and 23m lines depending on tides and current. The low end of a 12m might be slightly lower once on foil, but it is so much heavier that keeping it flying at that wind speed when not on foil is a real challenge. Plus, as you say, the 12m gets overpowered quickly, particularly if you like flying underpowered, like I do. I’ve concluded the better solution is to go with the 10m and just add some length to the lines if I need more power, which I rarely do.

In fact, I’m debating getting rid of the 10m and having the 9m be my biggest kite. The range that I use the 10m is 8-10 knots, and I feel confident I can get to 9 knots on a 9m with 29m lines. I need to do some testing on the next 9 knot day to be sure.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: looking for a new Lightwind tubekite Help!!

Postby Laughingman » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:05 pm

BJkitesurf wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:35 pm
henrikch wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:06 pm
I've just tried foil kite, and the wind dropped, and the kite got tanglet in seaweed, that's why I'm on tube kite., but yes the feeling and the lift was great.. :)
Which LEI kite do you ride under 10 knots?
Board Riding Maui Clouds D or E

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:55 pm

junebug wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:02 pm
My experience is with 3 strut wave kites only, but I have found that there is no real benefit at my weight (195lbs) and equipment (Lift 150) to a 12m. I can go down to 8/9 knots (in warm thermal wind) with a 10m and 23m lines depending on tides and current. The low end of a 12m might be slightly lower once on foil, but it is so much heavier that keeping it flying at that wind speed when not on foil is a real challenge. Plus, as you say, the 12m gets overpowered quickly, particularly if you like flying underpowered, like I do. I’ve concluded the better solution is to go with the 10m and just add some length to the lines if I need more power, which I rarely do.

In fact, I’m debating getting rid of the 10m and having the 9m be my biggest kite. The range that I use the 10m is 8-10 knots, and I feel confident I can get to 9 knots on a 9m with 29m lines. I need to do some testing on the next 9 knot day to be sure.

This is not my experience...

Even at my 170 lbs and foils/wings that go lower than most, I still get a huge benefit going from 10 to 12 m2.

The difficulty is of course, that the 12 m2 need to be "super" light in order to have a chance to fly it in 6 max 7 knots.
So I think you got the wrong 12 m2 if you experience it hangs worse...

The advantage in power is surprising in my experience, even me being the one riding 2 sizes smaller than everyone else around here.

And sometimes the 12 wont do anymore, and you need an UL foilkite instead, when at or below 6 knots sometimes.

These are the good summerdays as I have said so often, that you really remember and appreciate, so althoug I agree the "wind" difference going from 10 to 12 is not much in numbers, but in terms of joy and rideable days, the difference is huge.

I can easily ride in 9 knots with a 9 m2 (170 lbs), but this is also quite some wind and probably not the issue from the OP.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
Foil (Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:27 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Cefirmeza
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 65kg
Local Beach: Ceará - Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ceará, Brazil
Style: Kitefoil Wingfoil
Gear: Slingshot sst 4m, Airush Ultra 5m, brm cloud 5.5m, Peak4 4m/6m, Duotone Slick 3.5/4.5m
Sabfoil W1000,W800, Lift classic 150
Armstrong SKT3’11 25L

Postby Cefirmeza » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:23 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:55 pm
junebug wrote:

Even at my 170 lbs and foils/wings that go lower than most, I still get a huge benefit going from 10 to 12 m2.

The difficulty is of course, that the 12 m2 need to be "super" light in order to have a chance to fly it in 6 max 7 knots.

The advantage in power is surprising in my experience, even me being the one riding 2 sizes smaller than everyone else around here.

And sometimes the 12 wont do anymore, and you need an UL foilkite instead, when at or below 6 knots sometimes.

These are the good summerdays as I have said so often, that you really remember and appreciate, so althoug I agree the "wind" difference going from 10 to 12 is not much in numbers, but in terms of joy and rideable days, the difference is huge.

I can easily ride in 9 knots with a 9 m2 (170 lbs), but this is also quite some wind and probably not the issue from the OP.

8) Peter
I think this is more a personal thing.

What wing do you ride?

I am even lighter than you (143lbs) and also ride a 9m kite and 27m lines in most any lightish winds but I still haven´t ride a single or strutless kite to compare with my SS sst.
I almost got a 12m single strut Zeeko notus air when traveling since these kites aren´t popular here in Brazil. I live far from the windy coast and a 12m single strut kite would increase my rideble days at the lake. Maybe a 10m would have too much overlap with a 9m wave kite.
Altought it concerns me how the gusty winds here may affect single/strutless LEIs.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:41 am

I highly recommend a Switch Helium 3 in the larger sizes, mainly because they're very good, and very cheap.

Make a long travel bar and you'll have plenty of range if/when the wind picks up.

More importantly, get yourself a larger hydrofoil. That's far more important for light wind riding. A larger board with some buoyancy helps a lot. Don't go stupid big or you won't be able to waterstart it.

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:09 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:55 pm
junebug wrote:

8) Peter
Peter, yes, as I stated, the bulk of my experience is limited to 3 strut kites. I’m sure if I went to a strutless kite or 1 strut kite I could maybe go 1 knot lower, from 8 knots with my 10m to 7 knots with a 12m.

Even still, for me, getting down to 7 knots isn’t worth it right now. Where I live, 7 knot winds are pretty rare and, when do have them, they are very flukey and unpredictable. We really need 9 knots in order to not be on edge that the bottom could drop out, and more often than not we have 9 knots or more in the summer.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Pedro Marcos » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:06 am

henrikch wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:23 pm
I'm looking for a new tube kite for hydrofoiling in marginal wind.

I've been looking at Naish Boxer because I'm using Naish for twintip.

But since this kite is not sold in my home country, I can't try it before buying.

I am looking for experiences with the boxer, I'm not sure if I should choose the 14kvm or 16kvm.

I am also interested in experiences with other brands that can go so low in the wind as possible, but also sail well.

Thanks in advance
Henrik :)
I think you need to define "marginal" first :)

nayy
Frequent Poster

Postby nayy » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:45 am

very happy with my gong strutless V2 12m² ...

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:53 pm

I'm looking for opportunities for 12-17 kts. What do you guys think of the North/Duotone Juice of Mono? can't really understand the differences yet except the number of struts but would like to expand my Rebels with an ultimate light-wind Tube kite for freeriding only on my TT...
Last edited by Leon van Bergen on Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hydrofoil”