Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Peak4 - Hype or Hydrofoil? Video Review

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Okkiteboarder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I kite in Oklahoma at Lake Keystone, Hefner, and Eufaula Lake
Favorite Beaches: My favorite beaches are: Maui, Cozumel, St. Pete, and home in Oklahoma
Style: Kite Foil and Wingfoil
Gear: Flysurfer, Delta Foils, FOne, jAxis, and Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None

Peak4 - Hype or Hydrofoil? Video Review

Postby Okkiteboarder » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:11 am

Below is a review of the Peak4 on a hydrofoil for gusty conditions from 18-30mph. I've been really interested in the talk over the Peak4 as an economical foiling option. I couldn't be more pleased.

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Re: Peak4-Hype or Hydrofoil? VIDEO REVIEW

Postby BraCuru » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:51 am

I liked Peak4 but there are some issues with it. Tested in 10-30kts ish. Two days only. So my experience on it's almost zero.
I'd need to ride it 10 sessions more to enjoy it even more,

It works perfect in the middle range. Upper end requires to keep the steering lines non-stop on a bar to avoid kite's shivering.
However it is not big issue. Even with released bar the kite was shivering like mad but it's never collapsed or inverted.

Bigger issue for me is a fact that it sinks on the rough sea:

I will right more next week.
These users thanked the author BraCuru for the post:
surfbird (Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:12 am)
Rating: 3.03%

bricedenice
Rare Poster
Gear: Acme

Postby bricedenice » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:07 am

5 or 8m? In any case you seemed to be way overpowered?

Cefirmeza
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 65kg
Local Beach: Ceará - Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ceará, Brazil
Style: Kitefoil Wingfoil
Gear: Slingshot sst 4m, Airush Ultra 5m, brm cloud 5.5m, Peak4 4m/6m, Duotone Slick 3.5/4.5m
Sabfoil W1000,W800, Lift classic 150
Armstrong SKT3’11 25L

Postby Cefirmeza » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:18 am

BraCuru wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:51 am
I liked Peak4 but there are some issues with it. Tested in 10-30kts ish. Two days only. So my experience on it's almost zero.
I'd need to ride it 10 sessions more to enjoy it even more,

It works perfect in the middle range. Upper end requires to keep the steering lines non-stop on a bar to avoid kite's shivering.
However it is not big issue. Even with released bar the kite was shivering like mad but it's never collapsed or inverted.

Bigger issue for me is a fact that it sinks on the rough sea:

I will right more next week.
What about its stability in low winds? Would that be a good option for a light foiler?

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:59 am

even 3m peak is too big for 30 knts :) - You seems to like power - and speed. I think peak is not kite for you. If you like Soul you will not like Peak and vice versa.
Peak had no upper range to speak about. It had to used it its sweet spot. If it flap - rig size smaller. You need more sizes of peak than soul for sure

I dont know if it was discused. I almost never crash my kites so it isnt issue for me. But i think if you put kid baloon /or something simmilar :)/ in peak tips and inflate it you made it unsinkable and potentialy infinity restartable.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Re: Peak4 - Hype or Hydrofoil? Video Review

Postby slowboat » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:45 am

One of many characteristics I like about the P4 is that it has grunt but very little lift. So when overpowered, you are not fighting to keep your foil in the water. It just starts flapping (shivering)....tells you to downsize. In my experience, they don't really flap unless overpowered.

I have only dropped it once and got lucky. It was directly downwind, in well powered conditions so I was able to maintain line tension and it relaunched easily. It happened while pumping with hands off bar. They are hard to drop, and I use these kites with the expectation that they will not relaunch. It is just a mental shift....prepare a pack down plan and know how you will get back to shore. It is a negative trade-off, but all kites have negative trade-offs.

On the question of them being good low wind kites, I think that is still an unknown. There are those on this Forum who like the 11 meter P4 in 7-8 knots and others who say they are not good in low winds. More collective experience with the 11 is needed, I think.
These users thanked the author slowboat for the post:
Okkiteboarder (Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:26 am)
Rating: 3.03%

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:30 pm

tomtom wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:59 am
even 3m peak is too big for 30 knts :) - You seems to like power - and speed. I think peak is not kite for you. If you like Soul you will not like Peak and vice versa.
Peak had no upper range to speak about. It had to used it its sweet spot. If it flap - rig size smaller. You need more sizes of peak than soul for sure

I dont know if it was discused. I almost never crash my kites so it isnt issue for me. But i think if you put kid baloon /or something simmilar :)/ in peak tips and inflate it you made it unsinkable and potentialy infinity restartable.
very interesting...

..anyone actually try it?
slowboat wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:45 am

On the question of them being good low wind kites, I think that is still an unknown. There are those on this Forum who like the 11 meter P4 in 7-8 knots and others who say they are not good in low winds. More collective experience with the 11 is needed, I think.
i dont have a 11m....but i take an 8m peak4 on ~29m lines out in 7-8 knots.
i can be on water as early (low winds) as anyone here...so at my 76-77kg an 8m is sufficient

a 12m gin marabou might give an extra knot on same lines on low end..but is super slow...neither kite i can relaunch in those winds (so being relaunchable is irrelevant)
i'd say a 5m i can use at 10 knots (and i switch as soon as i can)...i can the 5m use up to the 24-25 knots daily max seen in cabarete(pretty much all day). not really an issue riding overpowered. i ride a 6m soul in same winds (it doesnt punish errors like the soul....but i'd prefer a 3m at 20+ knots)

Cefirmeza
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 65kg
Local Beach: Ceará - Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ceará, Brazil
Style: Kitefoil Wingfoil
Gear: Slingshot sst 4m, Airush Ultra 5m, brm cloud 5.5m, Peak4 4m/6m, Duotone Slick 3.5/4.5m
Sabfoil W1000,W800, Lift classic 150
Armstrong SKT3’11 25L

Postby Cefirmeza » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:21 pm

slowboat wrote:

i can be on water as early (low winds) as anyone here...so at my 76-77kg an 8m is sufficient

a 12m gin marabou might give an extra knot on same lines on low end..but is super slow...neither kite i can relaunch in those winds (so being relaunchable is irrelevant)
i'd say a 5m i can use at 10 knots (and i switch as soon as i can)...i can the 5m use up to the 24-25 knots daily max seen in cabarete(pretty much all day). not really an issue riding overpowered. i ride a 6m soul in same winds (it doesnt punish errors like the soul....but i'd prefer a 3m at 20+ knots)
[/quote]

So the 8m low end limit would be the waterstart since it can park in almost no wind, right?

I never imagined having a 8m kite for riding under 10knots.

Worst case scenario the swim with a kite this size it´s not that bad if you can pack it quickly.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:15 pm

Cefirmeza wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:21 pm
slowboat wrote:

So the 8m low end limit would be the waterstart since it can park in almost no wind, right?

I never imagined having a 8m kite for riding under 10knots.

Worst case scenario the swim with a kite this size it´s not that bad if you can pack it quickly.
[/quote]

exactly.

the big positive for looking for those absolute low ends....you get a lot of practice learning to loop and work your kite efficiently

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Peak4 - Hype or Hydrofoil? Video Review

Postby tomtom » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:42 pm

Elguapo. Can you please comment about 8 turning speed vs 5m or some LEI equivalent. Also bar forces bar size - meaning general handling vs smaller peaks

I was die hard about closed cell for LW but maybe 8 is not so bad compromise...

many thanks!

Return to “Hydrofoil”