Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

15M Flysurfer Speed

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 15M Flysurfer Speed

Postby Foil » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:20 am

correct me if I am wrong.
but I had the old 15mtr speed 3 years ago and although it worked well in stiff winds offering great boosting ability, light wind use for me was horrendous,
I remember in super light winds it would not reach back to the zenith after a long hard dive down to near the water surface, sort of stopped halfway on the way back up.
captain slow slow slow!
almost put me off foil kites for life,
new super light foil kites are now a world apart.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
Peter_Frank (Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:38 am)
Rating: 3.03%

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby marekmk » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:41 am

the 15m is slow and generates just a little more than the 10, go with the 10m and learn to fly the crap out of it, so much more fun

UKSurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Coast of UK
Gear: Liquid Force impulse Foil, Slingshot SST Wave

Postby UKSurf » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:51 am

Thanks for the advice. I have decided against getting this kite - it is too large and slow and will probably get over powered too quickly :)

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Kentos foil

Postby marekmk » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:25 am

wise choice, in the foil kites I never go bigger than a 10m with the ozone ultra light 9m i get going in 7 knots 71 kg ketos foil kruizer

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:04 am

UKSurf wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:51 am
Thanks for the advice. I have decided against getting this kite - it is too large and slow and will probably get over powered too quickly :)
I had a Speed3 15m and I used it once with a foil board, and that's ^^^ what I thought too. I have no interest in racing though :)

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:36 pm

Foil wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:20 am

So for the new foil kites, which is best for ultra light wind with a hydrofoil? I'm thinking one of these 3 kites in 11m or 12m:

Flysurfer Soul vs Ozone Chrono ultralight vs Ozone Hyperlink?

Opinions please!?

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Kentos foil

Postby marekmk » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:10 pm

for me the ozone Hyperlink. I have flown all three kites. for ease use the hyperlink, consistent power delivery through the loops, ease of use, does not need tinkering straight out of the bag.........for me the only advantage of the soul was that it was a little bit easier to re-launch............the chrono for better up wind reach and a more sporty feeling, but more of a handful with more bridals to deal with and need more refined flying skills.............hope this helps............

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:41 pm

dave1986 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:36 pm
Foil wrote:

So for the new foil kites, which is best for ultra light wind with a hydrofoil? I'm thinking one of these 3 kites in 11m or 12m:

Opinions please!?
That question opens up a can of worms. My advice is go through some of the big threads here in the foil section and once you have a jist of what you want, then ask the specific questions.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
Kraken fuse 703k

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,

Postby Foil » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:53 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:41 pm
dave1986 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:36 pm
Foil wrote:

Opinions please!?
That question opens up a can of worms. My advice is go through some of the big threads here in the foil section and once you have a jist of what you want, then ask the specific questions.
it's such a big cash outlay and risky as they are quite different, so many things for you to consider and get right for your needs and abilities along with your location and conditions,
It took ages for me to decide, over a year, and i am so glad i got to use the kites, they are so different and offer up a different feeling, which may suit you or may frustrate a little.
The hyperlink i did buy one over a year ago and loved it for a very short while, but not enough to go to 12 mtr as that was far too slow I only used the standard cloth Hyperlinks, the 9 was great fun but I was having more fun on my Lei kites without the compromises or drop worry,
quickly sold it and withdrew from foils not believing i was ready to jump to bigger foils, I was disturbed by seeing so many foils falling, and the riders not being able to relaunch, and this scared me a little, and scared my wife Pauline who is always with me and is worried that would happen to me.
I was really tempted by the soul 12mtr or 10mtr in the last 12 months and was offered any size of soul to use whilst at lake Como, there is a soul rep there who is fantastic, friendly and only too willing to get you out using any size soul for the day, but again the 12 did not light my fire in the turn speed department, although the relatively easy relaunch capabilities did very nearly make me withdraw funds, but no, I held back still not convinced.
Then desperate for lightwind sessions not to slip me by, I splashed out on 2 new ozone Alpha Lei kites 12 and 10 mtr, and was quite happy with them as they are probably the best light wind lei kites currently available, with child easy relaunch.
However!
A foil kite user who only lives 10 minutes from where i live got in touch to meet up as we sail at different locations, at the time he was on Ozone Chrono kites, V2 versions, one ULight and 2 in standard cloth,
I believed these kites were way beyond my abilities,
as in the marketing blurb they say they are for advanced users being high performance foils,
steve who has them says this is a mistake, they are freeride foil kites, and claiming they are near race type foils turns people off, well that and the price or course.

I avoided the offers of using them as i believed I would drop them at sea and end up replacing one for him.
but i was continually amazed seeing steve start in very shallow water and never drop his kites, and he was crashing a lot, as he was always pushing for his next trick. then he sold the lot and changed to V3 chrono kites all Ultra Lights, and a 5mtr Ultralight Hyperlink.
he insisted i try the bigger chrono sizes as he was so shocked at the difference between the V2 and V3 even the UL v2 was different to his new V3, he said it was hard to pin the difference down it just was so well behaved he kept saying, very forgiving of any mistakes, hovered above where the previous version might just misbehave and even fall, no backstalling no overflying no overpowering power surges, and hardly ever needing to use the tiny depower rope which was strange for me to get my head around, he says he just leaves on full power and rides, Hardly ever touching the depower as the kite has so much range, the kite just works so well and better without bleeding off any power.of course its there so if a squall hits it will do the job,
we sailed together for three days on the run, him on his 11mtr foil, me on my alpha 12mtr, the first 2 days I failed to get out in the silly light airs, whilst steve was blasting around on his 11mtr even boosting to make a point.
On day three of winds under 8 knts on a hand meter, he rolled out his 15mtr chrono V3 UL and gave my the chrono bar and insisted I use it.
"No" I said, "it wont loop", he said "it will, easy", "i will drop it", "you won't" he said, "it will kill me", "it wont" he smiled, "just bloody use it" he insisted as your moaning is pi**ing me off :argue:
long story cut short-
It pulled me up and flying before the kite completed the first dive, it looped easy into turns,
I did not drop it, it did not try to kill me with out of control power surges, upwind speed took my breath away,
and what finally did it for me was when i kept stopping to lower myself into the water just to be sure the kite would just sit there, hovering above with little or no bar input, no front stall no back stall, no loss of pressure resulting in tip fold or unrecoverable line slack,
and then a gentle dive to fly back up to full height in an instant, in airs so light the wind was silent,
I avoided returning to shore just in case he wanted it back.
finally I had found my kite.
Even Pauline agreed and her first question was, will you be trading in your new Alpha kites?
I have my 13mtr UL and used it nearly every day for 3 weeks, my 15 and 9 are on back order, but like today in winds forecast between 6-10 mph seve has messaged me to meet up and he will let me use his 15mtr, he is feather light so can use my 13mtr in the same winds.
Last edited by Foil on Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kraken fuse 703k

Postby Foil » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:16 am

edit

Return to “Hydrofoil”