Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Mast lengths

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:01 pm

slowboat wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:44 pm
You made right choice with 91. There are advantages and disadvantages to all mast sizes but 91 is a perfect middle ground. Longer masts have more drag and turn slower.

Longer masts do not have more drag, when riding (and only here it matters IMO), on the contrary, if you hit the chop with your board edges ever so slightly with a shorter mast, it will mean more drag :thumb:

I agree the 91 is a good allround lenght though.

But have had several friends who chose to upgrade their 90 cm to a 100, so very individual as said.
Eventhough I personally like my 92 cm.

8) PF

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Foil and 1strut kites.

Postby jakemoore » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:19 pm

I started at 96 cm. Now have 70 and 100 cm. I almost always ride the 70 in spite of deep water.

70 cm has no problem getting over waves, whitewater or chop. Occasionally touching the rail when riding upwind happens but does not bother me and riding up wind is no problem. Its a little more difficult to accomplish a footswitch before touching down. The upside for me is the foil is a little more reactive to turns, I feel wave energy a little better with the wing less deep, and less likely to be driven into the ground riding a wave.

Changing mast length requires at least a small bit of learning. I suspect many responses will represent a riders preference for the mast they are riding at this time.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:24 pm

But why do you ride with the mast deeper, on a longer mast?

No reason to do this, EXCEPT if you change masts occasionally only, then it will become a problem.

Can only recommend to either stay at one lenght most of the time, OR, change so often that you can change style quite fast :naughty:

But as said to the O.P. - you wont get much or anything out of your question, as noone agrees on this...

My take is still, no doubt, keep you 91 cm mast :thumb:

8) Peter

slowboat
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:33 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:24 pm
But why do you ride with the mast deeper, on a longer mast?

No reason to do this, EXCEPT if you change masts occasionally only, then it will become a problem.

Can only recommend to either stay at one lenght most of the time, OR, change so often that you can change style quite fast :naughty:

But as said to the O.P. - you wont get much or anything out of your question, as noone agrees on this...

My take is still, no doubt, keep you 91 cm mast :thumb:

8) Peter
This is good advice

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:00 pm

Plenty of people agree. Peter is just not one of them. there was pretty decent consensus the last time this thread happened, and it came down to style.

viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2401266&p=1035281 ... h#p1035281

Peter, you are one of the only carve/wave foilers who voiced a preference for a meter long mast. I'm sure there are plenty who agree with you, but most of the carve/wave foilers who posted had shortened their masts. I guess there are multiple valid tastes for mast length. I think I just prefer to ride close to the surface. Feels faster for the moderate speeds I go and makes any bits of swell seem a little more important than when your three feet up. I literally have to make mountains out of molehills for fun, so having to react to the water surface just makes pumping along over peaks more fun than lazering at altitude. I like to be really low when carving the hardest and like the foil to be right in it... they are small swell so a long mast takes longer to come around and can end up through the other side of the push. Even when it gets a little bigger, I am the one going up and down in waves and the guys on long masts are generally traversing them at speed as if they're a nuisance.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:21 pm

if not said earlier it depends on the conditions where you ride, we have large short chop here which means you need a longer mast on windy days.

rode the Onda on a 70something mast and it was a nightmare in the chop we had. Lovely foil all the same when lighter winds/flatter water
These users thanked the author Tone for the post:
Foil (Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:45 am)
Rating: 10%

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: New brighton beach-Derby pool end,Wallasey, near Liverpool
Favorite Beaches: holidays - Flag beach and Matas bay + sotavento on fuerteventura
Home - New Brighton,Rhosneigr, Ainsdale, Fleetwood, Newbrough
Style: improving foiler.
Gear: Groove Skate 130, naked carbon,gold stripes
101cm Moses Carbon mast
71+90cm Slingshot masts with moses adaptor
Moses- 633 and 683s and 790 wing sets
Ozone V4 Reo 6/8/9
Ozone Chrono V3 UL foil kites -15/13/9
Ozone compact V4 bars,click in
North 2018 click bar with Q power lines
Nobile 50/50 twin tip
massive grin

Postby Foil » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:51 am

Above from Tone.
exactly why I have 3 mast lengths, 73/93 101.
and on the days when the short very high chop is being a pain, then the 101 mast is the only one to make things bearable.the shorter masts make it just awful and the 73 just near impossible to even get going.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17, Flite 12, Prodigy 9.5, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing, Mako 150, Slingshot FSurf
Brand Affiliation: XL Kites

Postby SENDIT! » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:51 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:56 pm
SENDIT! wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:33 pm
Don't forget about the shallows, Peter. Bring one of your 100+ cm masts around here and you'd be walking forever to get out deep enough to start!

I know, but that wasnt the question from the O.P.

If too shallow and not deep further out, you got no choice but to make a compromise using a shorter mast.

But this is another situation.

We got a few spots where we have to walk and drag "forever" before sufficiently deep, but noone would choose a shorter mast because of that on these spots.
As we got hundreds of kitespots in the vicinity we can choose any spot we like, deep in a few meters, or not deep till several hundred meters out :naughty:

Luxury to be able to choose, I know.

But we dont have any spots where it is shallow all over, like you have.

Thus a different situation and you have to choose the mast length based on compromise and necessity, and not your preferred liking when riding, if shallow all over.

8) Peter
Fair point. Not what the OP was asking about at all. :oops: :wink:

Whattheflock
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Wasaga
Has thanked: 0

Postby Whattheflock » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:56 am

I started on a 45cm, then switched to the 90cm on slingshots h5 wing with simulator board. Then space skate wing and the 71cm mast on the simulator board. Then the 71cm mast and space skate with a dwarf craft board, lol, and finally enjoying the dwarfcraft board, space skate and 90cm mast. I think the 90cm is best when its choppy but the 71cm is better when its glassy as it's more manuverable.. still experimenting. I used the 45cm mast for 85% of my kiting career though, so far. I loved it, but the taller masts are so much better for managing chop.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:37 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:01 pm
slowboat wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:44 pm
You made right choice with 91. There are advantages and disadvantages to all mast sizes but 91 is a perfect middle ground. Longer masts have more drag and turn slower.

Longer masts do not have more drag, when riding (and only here it matters IMO), on the contrary, if you hit the chop with your board edges ever so slightly with a shorter mast, it will mean more drag :thumb:

I agree the 91 is a good allround lenght though.

But have had several friends who chose to upgrade their 90 cm to a 100, so very individual as said.
Eventhough I personally like my 92 cm.

8) PF
Just curious -- why do masts get a free pass regarding drag?

Return to “Hydrofoil”