Mast size

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
njrider
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Mast size

Postby njrider » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:46 pm

I have been getting the hang of this crazy sport. I have about 10 sessions on a Slingshot 24" mast and alien air. Things are going good I have been successful at a few tacks with foot position change.

In any case, my question is what is the reason to increase mast length. Today I tried the 35" and almost killed myself in 10 different ways. The board also felt real slow like I could feel the wing penduling underneath. Gave up on it and switched back to the 24" and had loads of fun.

Thanks

Si_B
Medium Poster

Re: Mast size

Postby Si_B » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:49 pm

Is it pretty flat where you foil? It’s quite choppy where I kite so with a short mast you can easily keep breaching the surface with your foil. Also once you start carrying more power and lean over again it becomes very easy to get the foil out the water.

I’m still learning myself, currently on a 75cm mast.

Simon

njrider
Frequent Poster

Postby njrider » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:53 pm

Hey Simon - yeah it is flat and the water is shallow. I would say it averages about 4 feet deep. I think the 30" would be perfect though I would like to get it in carbon fiber. Seems that most of the carbon fiber masts are 35".

Si_B
Medium Poster

Postby Si_B » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:05 pm

Sounds like the shorter mast is a good idea in such shallow water. My masts are Aluminium so I guess you could make any size you want. Not sure if you are going to get much choice if going with carbon. I think most brands stick to similar lengths.

MattyM
Medium Poster
Gear: Core, F-One, Moses

Postby MattyM » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:50 pm

Tacking after 10 sessions - that's amazing! Been going two years and I still haven't managed one!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:23 pm

MattyM wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:50 pm
Tacking after 10 sessions - that's amazing! Been going two years and I still haven't managed one!

Sounds incredible, amazing :D
Unless it is surface tacks, and not flying tacks of course :wink:
Cant really do them either, only a few with touchdown on the way out - but almost never practice tacks so no wonder...

The reason carbon masts are 90 and 100 and 110 cm is because they are the widely used lengths.
100 and 110 for racers/freeracers.
90 and 100 for freestylers/freeriders/waveriders.

The really short masts 40 to 60 cm are used only by beginners, thus it makes sense to make these in aluminium, especially as they are only a stepping stone.

Then you got 70-80 cm masts, which some like, but apparently not so many that brands offer these in the same numbers in carbon, at least not yet.

So if one has a really low water spot, and want carbon for some reason, it is a lot more difficult and limited choices, agree :roll:

8) PF

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:47 pm

One option for a 30” carbon mast is from cloud IX foils. The brand is pretty popular in my area.

https://cloud9surffoils.com/

The foil mast combination has a really good surf feel. The length is still manageable in ocean swell and chop but you might kiss the board now and again.

The foils sre fairly blunt edged and don’t do quite as much damage. The mast is also blunt by carbon standards.

That’s at least my limited experience as I am still progressing myself.

njrider
Frequent Poster

Postby njrider » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:25 pm

My tacks are with touch downs - although I have had a few that were close to being on foil by accident. Also, I only get them consistent riding from fakie to regular stance.

I see that slingshot sells a mast of aluminum and fins of carbon fiber - would that be any good?

Return to “Hydrofoil”