Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Mike's Lab Foils- Bullet 2 vs Bullet 3 vs...?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Yodarocket31
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Lake Tahoe, CA
Sherman Island, CA
Gear: North, Slingshot, F-One, Naish, Taaroa, Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Mike's Lab Foils- Bullet 2 vs Bullet 3 vs...?

Postby Yodarocket31 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:04 pm

Does anyone know the difference between the different Mike's Lab Foils?

I have heard of "Bullet 2" and "Bullet 3" wings and masts. What is the difference? Is there a "Bullet 4"?

Are the lower numbers older generations of the foil? Is there a "high wind" vs "light wind" model?

Always had the impression the top riders were using various prototypes, but what are these "standard" models?

tkaraszewski
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Moses/F-One/Flysurfer mostly
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Mike's Lab Foils- Bullet 2 vs Bullet 3 vs...?

Postby tkaraszewski » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:05 am

The higher numbers are newer. Newer ones should be faster around a race course. Yes, there's a Bullet 4. Apparently some Bullet 5's are being delivered now.

I have never owned a Mike's Lab foil but have friends who do, so my information isn't the most detailed.

> but what are these "standard" models?

Some categories of racing require registered "production" models of gear.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: Mike's Lab Foils- Bullet 2 vs Bullet 3 vs...?

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:01 pm

Someone did a big writeup a while back saying that one of the newer Bullets (4?) was harder to ride and slower than their previous model (3?) and that the model before that had a known manufacturing defect. Not sure exactly, I know a couple of pros broke their B2's during regattas, including NicoP. There was another thread somewhere of a guy who bought a used one site-unseen and it showed up with a total noodle mast because the interior was broken but it looked fine from the outside.

At the end of the day you're either buying directly from Mike or you're buying gear someone else doesn't want anymore.

Given that ML is lauded as one of, if not THE top race foil, I'd be VERY VERY suspicious of why someone doesn't want theirs anymore if you're buying used. If you're buying directly from Mike...you'll get whatever he thinks is best, and good luck with that anyway given the reports about waiting lists and the fact that he's just 1 guy with a shop. You probably need to ask him these questions directly if you want a reliable answer. orders@mikeslab.com

Return to “Hydrofoil”