Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

hydrofoil / wave kite and bar: Kauper-XT

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: New hydrofoil / wave kite and bar: Kauper-XT

Postby OzBungy » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:27 am

It showed the ball release that comes with the Pintxo bar (which has no swivel), threaded through the Wichard in the little gap above the release arm. That solves the problem of losing your kite if the Wichard self releases.

In an emergency you do the normal push away of the red barrel to release to the safety leash.

If you want to ditch the kite then you have to release the Wichard THEN release the ball release.

It effectively makes the Wichard into a rotating harness hook or sort of chicken loop.

It's a little bit clunky. You have this extra ball hanging around doing nothing much, and when you hook in you have to attach two things. I guess that's no different having to put your chicken loop on the hook then attach your safety leash. It's certainly better than losing your kite. It does give you a reliable rotating attachment and a safety leash and it does away with the chicken loop.

I had shelved my Pintxo bar because the possibility of the Wichard self-releasing made me nervous. It had never self-released but I had other bars with better systems and bar end bungies and all the other good features. It is so much more relaxing to know that there is no chance of losing my kite, and to finish a session and simply wind the lines on the bar, pop on the bungies and go. I might try the Pintxo again with the additional safety ball and see how it goes. I really liked the compactness of the Pintxo, and the long travel on the depower.
These users thanked the author OzBungy for the post:
Frankieboy (Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:07 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Frankieboy » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:07 am

that's a great setup, I will use it from now on.
Just releasing the ball is painfull though (watch your fingers!)

I would organize a knot/loop on the wichard so I can let it permanently on the ring

And maybe make a new ball release with smaller ball and thinner line to make it minimalistic

Pintxo is indeed a really great bar for foiling.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:52 am

Frankieboy wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:07 am
I would organize a knot/loop on the wichard so I can let it permanently on the ring

What does that mean?

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:57 pm

I mean using like a pitail connected to the wishard (like on the pic) and using the loop from the ball system to connect to it (like you connect a line with a loop to a kite with a knot).
In other words I would split the ball release in two.
So you don't have to pull the ball everytime you want to disconnect (fucked my fingers a few times with it...)

Can't take a picture right now as my gear is stored in the beach club...

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:27 am

I understand. If you put your thumb or finger on the pin it stops it flicking around and smacking your knuckles. It's the exact reverse of the action to connect it. I just tried it about 10 times in a row with no pain or damage.

I would be more inclined to do that than add yet another kludge into the system to make it reliable and foolproof.

Another option is to just get rid of the Wichard. Using the ball release as a micro-leash means the Wichard really only functions as a swivel. I really like having a swivel but in recent weeks all my kite loops have been followed by a reverse loop to unwind the lines. It's easy to and the boost of power is quite fun, especially of there's a wave to run along. I could try just using the ball release as the only attachment with a normal kite leash attached to the ring.

dan_kan
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Poland, Gdansk, Rewa
Favorite Beaches: Rewa, Kuznica
Style: foil
Gear: FS Soul, Onda 683

Postby dan_kan » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:35 pm

With 2 unexpected releases by wichard snap shakle on my last deep water foil trip I've almost gave up on this shakle but after last mod with the addition secure I will give it a last try..
I have added a stretch rope that increase needed release force up to ~2-3kg (need to examin) with still easy usage while snaping.. check the pics below:
IMG_20200609_201301.jpg
IMG_20200609_201229.jpg
These users thanked the author dan_kan for the post:
Averagejoel (Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:06 pm)

alpaia
Medium Poster
Local Beach: monteynard
Favorite Beaches: kerhiilio almanarre leucate
Style: relaxed
Gear: naish kites diy boards

Postby alpaia » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:23 pm

Thanks all for sharing ideas and experience.
My two cents :

-ball & pin release may already hurt the fingers when it flicks open. Imagine under load, kite looping etc...
I have experimented with such release just hanging with my weight it the harness, fingers or palm can really get hurt.
The way I found to limit the issue is to use a longer pin (less leverage) with rounded end, and longer handle (the ball I find too small)

-tried similar setup in the end the greatest benefit I found was the long depower throw and having the bar sheeted in closer to the body.
This also can be achieved with a very short chicken loop and longer depower throw (just modifying the depower rope)

Having said that I really like the slick minimalistic approach from Kauper XT, good to propose something different

Erik de Berik
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Netherlands coastline
Favorite Beaches: Scheveningen, Ijmuiden, Wijk aan Zee, Brouwersdam, Castricum, Ter Heijde, Cumbuco , Prea, Tatajuba, Vietnam, Thailand for foil.
Style: Wave, Foil, Freeride
Gear: Duotone Neo 6
Duotone Session
Appletree Klokhouse 6.0
Kauper Falcon 11m
Kauper Maverick II 5,7,9 m.
Groove skate foilboard
Foil: Slingshot Phantasm 633

Postby Erik de Berik » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:23 am

Hi all,
I bought the 7 and 9 with the 52 Pinxto bar because what I’ve read fits exactly in my picture, wave and foil and minimalistic symplicity!
These kites are fast indeed, instead of taken my 9 Neo I take the 7 Kaup 😃.
It’s not really a sheet and go kite but this is a wild Stallion that wants to work, It generates a lot of speed if you trow it once or twice in a sinus, I love it!
In the waves: it turns on a dime real quick and agile with constant power but with the large depower you can easily trow all the power away an then it drifts like a feather in the wind.
This kite is quick and for the 7 I needed a 45 cm bar instead of my usual 52, I made a lot of timing mistakes with the 52 bar but I solved it with the more controllable 45 bar.
For Foil: yessss....constant power in the turn is what I noticed immediately, so easy and smooth, no sinus in the turn or after but just ride and glide😀 because of the lightness it drifts perfectly and smooth waiting for your next move, you can easily take a size smaller then you are used too.
For me (100kg) kiting since 2003 I love this powerfull kite, this is what I looked for, Foil and Wave and as a bonus it works for free-ride too! (Exactly as described on the website)
I don’t recommend this kite for an absolute beginner because of it’s liveliness and the generated speed.
The Pinxto: OMG was the first thing I thought, sooooo light😃, indeed after some sessions with this Bar you only want light lighter lightst, the simplicity of the bar blows my mind, I have to say that you have to use the way you power and depower but with the large depower throw you hardly use the knotted power rope.

Thanks Rainer for this excellent product you create!😃

Erik - Netherlands/Scheveningen

Attachments
81FE7CF3-55B6-420D-BC9F-C15676B90DD8.jpeg
001F3BB9-D864-4D79-9589-EBD311A97513.jpeg
17E53FDC-9D36-4A33-B97A-D8A9B301A1B1.jpeg
426A06FB-F9F4-433D-B07A-09C41208840B.jpeg
0AB7C659-EB30-4FD8-8D6D-FCA7F574D42D.jpeg
F01AE75B-12C0-4E6D-86F8-D6E41ED9F1E9.jpeg
These users thanked the author Erik de Berik for the post:
bataleon (Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:56 am)

bataleon
Rare Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Liquid Force Solo 9 and 15,5

Postby bataleon » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:01 am

One thing that I was thinking about regarding this system and that I have not yet seen not yet discussed is how to connect the flying lines. I thought the "industri standard" was larks head knot o the steering lines (pigtails on the kite) and pigtails on the bridle lines (larks head knot on the kite).

It seems like on the Kauper-system (kite and bar) it is only larks head knots on the bar lines and only pig tails on the kite. In that case the kite and bar needs to modify to be able to use with other bars/other kites.

Or have I got it all wrong?
Connection_Flyinglines_2.jpg

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:46 am

I made a set of pigtails for the bar to bring it into line with my kites and other bars.

I've done the same thing for friends who have kites and bars with mixed systems. It's so silly that manufacturers choose a different option that offers no benefit to users.
These users thanked the author OzBungy for the post:
bataleon (Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:16 pm)

Return to “Hydrofoil”