Gear: Slingshot sst 6m Peak4 5m and Flysurfer Soul 12m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New hydrofoil / wave kite and bar: Kauper-XT

Postby sedelito » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:51 pm

Rainer Kauper wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:09 pm
sedelito wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:57 pm
Mine released once per session, now I have leash connected to the ring.
But last three session it seems ok, but those sessions were in higher wind.
Could you please also post a picture of your current setup?
With the user dan_kan it was quickly clear where his problem comes from.
It has nothing to do if you are riding in light winds or stronger winds. The Wichard has a safe working load with 1280 kg and a breaking load with 2300 kg. At these loads your lines would have been broken long before.

sedelito wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:57 pm
But depower system is not working in higher winds the knots gets stuck inside and you have to pull with both hands to get them out!
I have shortened the scew tip but maybe the bar needs to settle?
The knots need some riding hours to tighten. Then they slide much smoother through the bar end.
But there is another important thing to say about using an adjuster in general: When I see kiteboarders using their adjuster no matter if it´s an internal one like ours working on the backlines, or if it´s an adjuster working on the frontlines, they sometimes try to pull on it when the kite has full power and the board has a lot of spray. Why don´t you ride for some meters towards the kite so there is much less power on the kite and on the lines? This makes it much easier to adjust!

dan_kan wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:54 pm
For now after few sessions i can tell that depower system works a little at higher winds and not at lighter so oposie that yours. It seems that it needs more tension on back lines to get out after knot is unlocked. Need more testing. For now with the low harness I don't need more depower because the bar throw is very long.
Please check if your screws are not too long. See my posting on page 14 at this thread.

Ciao

Rainer Kauper
----------------
I guess the white pull is little too long and with slacked lines maybe it rubs against something.
Today was 15ms and I was sitting in the water tryin to pull out knots out of bar without succession, but no unintentional release.
Attachments
20200217_233849.jpg

freotilo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: woodmans point fremantle Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Lancelin wa
Style: mostly surf and hydrofoil strapless
Gear: Rrd religion 7m f one bandit 9m

Postby freotilo » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:45 pm

re : video

sorry to be a pain in the butt and im only persisting as u have been amazing and generous with ur time and effort, but to make a video such as the following and maybe of u standing on the beach and flying the kite ( running towards it for a few meters to see the drifting abilities and maybe a download or two ) should be the easiest thing ..litereally takes a cell phone and u already done it on ur youtube just its only a few seconds long ..

this here is an easy example that anyone can make , its 2020 and no one needs to pay any Huge amount to make basic videos , I think thats just a cheap excuse tbh but ur brand ur rules its just sad as it is nearly impossible for most of us to get a nice impression of gear we can't demo

Rainer Kauper
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mallorca Beaches
Style: Riding nice waves & Hydrofoil
Gear: Maverick Kites
Pintxo Bar
Brand Affiliation: Kauper XT

Postby Rainer Kauper » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:14 pm

sedelito wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:51 pm
I guess the white pull is little too long and with slacked lines maybe it rubs against something.
Thanks for your high res picture so I am able to investigate your problem. It was not easy, but to me it looks like the webbing has some hooks at the end and that could cause an unintentional release. These hooks could appear when the production cuts this webbing with the hot knife see cropped picture of your webbing below. These hooks work similar to the hooks of a velcro. I know your harness quite well since I am using the same one. There is a wide waist belt with a big velcro. Maybe the hooks of the white webbing release could hook in at the velcro loops of the waist belt and cause the release. This is the only idea from my side, but maybe you know better and you have been able to watch how it happens. I have the same setup like you and in fact I never had and unintentional release. The end of my webbing is indeed smooth without any hook. Please take a lighter to put some heat on the end so the hooks will melt and mould the end round and smooth. I hope that this should solve your problem. :wink:

sedelito wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:51 pm
Today was 15ms and I was sitting in the water tryin to pull out knots out of bar without succession, but no unintentional release.
Have you ever tried you to use the adjuster without kite? I mean just by pulling the leaderline out of the bar ends so the knots are moving inside the bar and the opposite way? Does this back and forth works smooth at your bar or not?

BTW: I really do not understand why you do not get in touch with us directly with your issue instead of posting here? I mean we always reply within hours to emails while checking the forums sometimes takes days as I do not check them every day... :-?

Ciao

Rainer Kauper
----------------
Attachments
Hooks.jpg

Rainer Kauper
Medium Poster
Pintxo Bar

Postby Rainer Kauper » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:18 pm

freotilo wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:45 pm
but to make a video such as the following and maybe of u standing on the beach and flying the kite ( running towards it for a few meters to see the drifting abilities and maybe a download or two ) should be the easiest thing ..litereally takes a cell phone and u already done it on ur youtube just its only a few seconds long ..
That´s exactly what I have announced with my last posting to that subject.
Nothing more nothing less.
Please give me some time...

Thanks

Ciao

Rainer Kauper
----------------
These users thanked the author Rainer Kauper for the post:
freotilo (Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:39 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:08 pm

Dear Greg.... bar ends.... :roll:

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:03 am

I cleaned up the melted ends of my Wichard quick release webbing. The ends would catch on anything remotely fibrous. Lines, wetsuit, harness stuff, junk in the car.

It has never accidentally released. I still think it is less than ideal having a single point of failure quick release on your safety line. I would not use my Pintxo in offshore or any conditions where there was a risk of losing the kite. Only one thing has to release and goodbye kite.

On the other hand, 18m lines, slightly larger kite, surf foil, magic wand bar, heaven.😁

KVL
Medium Poster

Postby KVL » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:11 am

Rainer Kauper wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:47 pm
OzBungy wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:30 pm
The hole in the bar for the depower line looks very narrow. Other brands have a wide shaped hole to avoid wear and to be able to steer and sheet at the same time. We are concerned a narrow hole with no shaping would have some problems.
The hole at the base side is very narrow, but the one on the top side of the bar is a long hole. Therefor you can easily sheet in and out at the same time while steering up to approx. 45° degrees. My goal was to keep the Carbon tube as durable as possible. A big hole is weakening the Carbon and decreases the breaking load.
I have recently received the bar, and used it a few times.

The bar is slick and light. The trim takes a bit to get used to, but we will surely manage that. Same with the Vinchard. I like the ideas and simplicity.
Lines are thicker than I would expect for such bar (not an issue for me) , and more line connections / extensions that I will ever use. No pigtails. Options which would be nice to have when buying, but really fair it is possible. I guess it is against the keep it simple philosophy - which we buy with this product.

Moving / looping the bar in more then 45 degrees and also limited, as Rainer states. As designed. For me it will take a while to get used to, that my loops are limited if I at the same time want to pull / push the bar in the loop. As Rainer has mentioned, the bar was built based on his needs and requirements (and not mine - he didnt say that :))

Thou, as stated in the concern above. I see exactly this issue when using it. The center hole is tiny small - Rainer has commented why it is needed - and assembled with a small 3D printed part / slide inside the whole.
In my case, and in my opinion, not assembled well enough. The center hole is maybe 1 mm smaller with a sharp edge on one side. The result is a constant friction between tube and bar, which has already caused the tube to be frayed after these few times. Due to this, any small twist in the bar while using it, will bite into the tube and let it move uneven - in rare cases small steps. For me this is quite a misbehavior and I wouldn't expect this non smooth use. I think it is an annoyance, a disturbance and a possible path to faulty bar, and a shame for a product considered to be "premium".

I have been direct touch with Rainer about the frayed tube, assembly and uneven use, but I believe he sees it differently..

Rainer, dont take it as a non-sense critic on the bar, but as how the bar is experienced outside the lab.
I also think other potential customers should know the positive and negatives sides the products. Maybe positive things are still being said.

So OzBungy, I physically feel your concerns in this matter.

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:03 am

I had the same problem and tube broke after a couple of time exposing the thin depower lines.
Got a new tube shipped and did replace it. Thanks for the good service. But I see now it was not an isolated problem...

The bar is really excellent for my foiling, so clean and light but not sure the tube will hold as it got pinched. Rainer advised me to sand the sides of the hole which I did. Only one session since then and no problem. Hope this solves the problem as I really like the bar. Design is brilliant !

KVL
Medium Poster

Postby KVL » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:28 pm

Frankieboy wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:03 am
I had the same problem and tube broke after a couple of time exposing the thin depower lines.

Rainer advised me to sand the sides of the hole which I did.
I was also told just to use some sand paper and enjoy it.. Thou, I am not sure how any of the two options fix the issue..

Rainer Kauper
Medium Poster
Pintxo Bar

Postby Rainer Kauper » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:43 pm

OK it seems that there is more info from my side necessary:
KVL wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:11 am
The trim takes a bit to get used to, but we will surely manage that.
It´s really helpful to ride some meters towards the kite in order to give less power to all lines. Then you can adjust the trimmer way easier. This is BTW not only helpful for our Pintxo bar, it helps at all adjusters at all bars on the market.

KVL wrote:
Lines are thicker than I would expect for such bar (not an issue for me) , and more line connections / extensions that I will ever use. No pigtails. Options which would be nice to have when buying, but really fair it is possible. I guess it is against the keep it simple philosophy - which we buy with this product.
The lines at the Pintxo bar come from German production. It´s the Liros DC Pro 401. This line has only 1,55mm diameter which is thinner than a lot of bars on the market. Please compare on the beaches. Pigtails are not necessary for the use of our Maverick kite, so please understand that I have mainly designed the Pintxo bar for the use with our kite. If you have bought the bar for the use with other kites from other brands you have to organize the matching pigtails. I am sorry, but we cannot supply pigtails for all kites from other brands. There are so many variations out there. :o

KVL wrote:
Moving / looping the bar in more then 45 degrees and also limited, as Rainer states. As designed. For me it will take a while to get used to, that my loops are limited if I at the same time want to pull / push the bar in the loop. As Rainer has mentioned, the bar was built based on his needs and requirements (and not mine - he didnt say that :))
Maybe there is a misunderstanding with what I have stated at the 45 degrees. This means that the white plastic tube (Teflon Tube) would not be bended until the bar has a turning angle with max 45 degrees, but you can definitely turn the bar much more and the bar will still slide smoothly on the Teflon Tube. Please check the pictures below and you will clearly see what I am talking about. If your kite (I do not know your kite??) does not turn at this angle, I am speechless... :cry:

and

Moreover I have received a video from a customer where his bar is parallel to the Teflon Tube and it still slides well. To me it seems more that your problem with looping and sheeting in and out at the same time is because of the bar position on the Teflon Tube. At most other bars the Chickenloop is quite long. Therefore the position of the bar is mostly quite close to quickrelease when you have a comfort riding position with your arms. As there is no Chickenloop at the Pintxo bar the distance to your body is much shorter. If you have the same comfort riding position with your arms the bar position is more far away from your body. This means the kite is more depowered and so it turns less well. Take your normal bar and extend the backlines by 30cm and you would see what happens. Naturally you will definitely turn the bar more as you would do when the bar is more towards your body, because you would like the kite to turn quickly. Please check the picture with the false bar position below. There you can see the false bar position to have a good turning speed at your kite. So with the Pintxo bar you should have the bar same positioned quite close to the quickrelease as you you would do with your other bars. If you feel uncomfortable with your arms you can extend the distance between the Wichard and your harness by adding a rope or shakle. This depends on your personal riding style.

KVL wrote:
The center hole is tiny small - Rainer has commented why it is needed - and assembled with a small 3D printed part / slide inside the whole.
We do not use 3D printed parts at our products. All our parts are injection plastic parts with some % of fibreglass reinforcement. I have checked many parts myself and they were all OK. There is always space between the black centerpart and the Teflon Tube. Please see pictures below from base view and topside view. You can easily see that there is always space.

and

KVL wrote:
Rainer, dont take it as a non-sense critic on the bar, but as how the bar is experienced outside the lab.
As you might accept there are a lot of bars already in use at our customers. They are really happy with the function of the bar. So it´s not really fair from your side to talk about a lab status actually. And although the complaints about the early PU-Tube were less than you have fingers on your hand I have switched from the PU-Tube to the new Teflon Tube which is much more durable. If there are complaints now with friction, like at the posting from Frankieboy it´s only a sharp edge around the Carbon centerhole which was not sanded 100% by the production. Fortunately there are only very few with this issue as our production in general works really excellent. I have advised and asked you to a sanding of a possible edge by yourself like Frankieboy already did and enjoying the bar. This should definitely improve your bar.

So how can I help you?

Thanks

Ciao

Rainer Kauper
----------------

Return to “Hydrofoil”