Gear: Maverick Kites
Pintxo Bar
Brand Affiliation: Kauper XT
Has thanked: 0

Re: New hydrofoil / wave kite and bar: Kauper-XT

Postby Rainer Kauper » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:59 pm

Frankieboy wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:44 pm
Only downside is depowering the kite. You can't get the knots through the bar if there is not suffisiant tension on the backlines.
After a while in use the knots will get tighter themselves. The production is not able to pull them as tight as necessary and I think new gear always needs some hours until it works 100% especially when lines have to stretch etc.

If there is not much tension on the backlines just let bar go a bit towards the kite and then pull it back to your body while let the knots go into the bar at the same time.

When we give the bar to kiters for a first testride we very often watch them to work with the adjuster at full power. In fact I watch this same way with other adjusters at other bars. Then I am asking myself why they don´t ride towards the kite for one or two seconds to have less tension on the hole system. If there is less tension all adjusters on the market are working way better. The same does the integrated adjuster at the Pintxo Bar.

If you have further questions please do not hesitate to get in touch with me.

Thanks

Ciao

Rainer Kauper
-----------------
https://www.kauper-xt.com
These users thanked the author Rainer Kauper for the post:
Frankieboy (Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:00 pm)
Rating: 10%

windmlv
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Gordon's beach, LaVentana, Baja
Gear: Mike's Lab board, Spotz2, 8m Diablo, 11m Elf Joker 5, 13m Elf Joker 7
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby windmlv » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:06 pm

Working on the order process for a 5m,7m,9m, and bar.
Next shipment is expected in January and hoping to get a place in line.
Could use them right now in LaVentana, Baja but must be patient.
After 4 years on foil kites, I am sure there will be a learning curve.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:18 am

My Pintxo bar with the Wichard arrived the other day and I have put a couple of hours on it over two sessions.

It takes a bit of getting used to. It feels very different to a full weight bar with floats and all the stuff. Think of Harry Potter waving a stick around. Everything works ok, it just feels different. The second session felt a lot more comfortable than the first.

I noticed I was getting sore hands from over gripping the bar. The bar is so narrow, firm and light that it feels very different. There's none of the inertia or momentum or tactile grip that I am used to. That improves over time and has more to do with familiarity.

A few observations.

The lines arrive with spliced loops and little coloured pull tabs on the end. No pigtails and no knots. I made some mini knotted pigtails for the front lines to get out for the first sessions and that worked ok. I have just finished splicing up a set of front knot and rear loop, colour coded pigtails. I added a tag on the front line pigtail attached to the safety so I can identify it to rig it as the top line for failed self landings. I think the bar should come with a set of colour coded loop-loop and loop-knot pigtails so you can use it with whatever kites you have.

The lines are all black with tiny coloured pull tabs on the loops. It would be nice if the rear lines were red/blue(green) colour coded like every other bar. I had a bit of a messy crash with my kite tied in a knot that took a bit of effort to sort out. It was easy enough to identify lines from the bar ends. It would have been easier if the lines were colour coded.

There are no bungies to secure the wrapped lines. I can't think of any elegant way to add them to the bar. I am very fastidious with my lines and organize them so I can attach direct to the kite, unwind, launch and go. I can use wraps and hitches to secure the lines to the bar, but it's still a bit of a nuisance. I hate the wear and tear from repeatedly hitching lines around the bar.

The bar is so light that there's no way you can put the bar down and apply any tension to the lines while straightening or walking or whatever fiddling you want to do. The bar just slides along the ground. You would need to take measures to deal with this so that the bar is not dragging over the ground and getting scratched or messed up with sand.

The plastic tube with the centre lines work ok and it seems well designed with a little "fence" at the top to stop the lines from twisting or tangling. It's a pretty snug fit in there. With my other bars I am used to flushing out the tube with water after each session. There is no way you could do that with the Pintxo.

The Wichard is supplied with a length of line to tie it onto your harness hook. You're supposed to loop the line a couple of times around the hook and secure it like a soft shackle. It works ok. The line is a bit short and the result looks less than ideal. I made a longer length of line and used a series of figure-8 wraps to secure the shackle behind the cross bar on my Mystic harness hook. It is very positively attached and doesn't move around at all. I can use the Pintxo with the Wichard, or use my other bars direct in the hook with no problems.

I was initially a little nervous about having the Wichard as the single point of attachment. If it lets go then everything is gone (as opposed to a normal chicken loop and safety leash where both have to release for everything to go). My confidence is building, but it still seems a less than ideal configuration. I could add a leash to the kite ring, but then I would lose the easy rotation of the front lines after a kite loop.
These users thanked the author OzBungy for the post (total 2):
nixmatters (Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:50 am) • ice (Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:46 pm)
Rating: 20%

evan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Moses Comet 111 2018
Peter Lynn Aero
Brand Affiliation: Infexion
Peter Lynn
Moses

Postby evan » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:45 pm

I am very curious about wear inside the tube. From my experience it is a disaster waiting to happen, even on duotone click bars the flagout line inside the tube snaps because sand buildup and that is a 3mm 1000kg line.

So with your 500kg powerlines running directly through the depower cord tubing you need to be extra careful!

I always bury my carbon bar under/behind some sand to keep it in place when walking the lines.

geokite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Mission Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sherman, Belmont
Style: Surf, Foil
Gear: Firewire, SS, Lift, Gin, Kitech, Switch

Postby geokite » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:54 pm

It's been a while since I've bought a new bar; what is the purpose of the tubing? Does the bar slide easier, less line wear, just a more tidy setup, etc? Thanks

Rainer Kauper
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mallorca Beaches
Style: Riding nice waves & Hydrofoil
Pintxo Bar

Postby Rainer Kauper » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:30 pm

OzBungy wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:18 am
The lines arrive with spliced loops and little coloured pull tabs on the end. No pigtails and no knots...
I think the bar should come with a set of colour coded loop-loop and loop-knot pigtails so you can use it with whatever kites you have.
As I have described on our website I have designed the bar with priority to my own needs and taste. Please understand that there are so many systems on the market that our bar would have to be delivered with several pigtails in different length and shape, with knots or loops etc. There is no standard on the market which would make it easier for all. Anyway I do not like the pigtails at all, because when you sort out the lines these pigtails always are blocking the lines and it´s a mess. Without pigtails the lines can be sorted out super easily and smooth.
OzBungy wrote:
The lines are all black with tiny coloured pull tabs on the loops. It would be nice if the rear lines were red/blue(green) colour coded like every other bar. I had a bit of a messy crash with my kite tied in a knot that took a bit of effort to sort out. It was easy enough to identify lines from the bar ends. It would have been easier if the lines were colour coded.
I don't like this mess of colours on the lines at all. There is also no standard here. Some brands want white/yellow, others want red/blue. We have all the lines in grey, which fits very well with the Carbon bar.
OzBungy wrote:
There are no bungies to secure the wrapped lines. I can't think of any elegant way to add them to the bar. I am very fastidious with my lines and organize them so I can attach direct to the kite, unwind, launch and go. I can use wraps and hitches to secure the lines to the bar, but it's still a bit of a nuisance. I hate the wear and tear from repeatedly hitching lines around the bar.
Please check the picture attached. This way it´s super easy to wind the lines to the bar. This way you do not have any wear to your lines.
OzBungy wrote:
The plastic tube with the centre lines work ok and it seems well designed with a little "fence" at the top to stop the lines from twisting or tangling. It's a pretty snug fit in there. With my other bars I am used to flushing out the tube with water after each session. There is no way you could do that with the Pintxo.
You do not have to flush this tube as there will be no sand inside the tube. Just go with it. If you want to check the status of the lines at the area where the lines inside the tube just put the 4 screws out of the black plastic Line-Y on top of the tube and shift the tube away from the orange quickrelease. Then you will see even after many sessions that there is no sand. We have tested many times in strong winds at beaches with super fine sand.
OzBungy wrote:
The bar is so light that there's no way you can put the bar down and apply any tension to the lines while straightening or walking or whatever fiddling you want to do. The bar just slides along the ground. You would need to take measures to deal with this so that the bar is not dragging over the ground and getting scratched or messed up with sand.
That is the nature of light gear! If you want to fix your bar on the ground simply use your harness and hook in.
OzBungy wrote:
The Wichard is supplied with a length of line to tie it onto your harness hook. You're supposed to loop the line a couple of times around the hook and secure it like a soft shackle. It works ok. The line is a bit short and the result looks less than ideal.
The enclosed line is long enough to make three loops on most hooks of most harnesses. Even one single loop would be enough and one single figure eight knot is enough to secure the soft shackle.
OzBungy wrote:
I was initially a little nervous about having the Wichard as the single point of attachment. If it lets go then everything is gone (as opposed to a normal chicken loop and safety leash where both have to release for everything to go). My confidence is building, but it still seems a less than ideal configuration. I could add a leash to the kite ring, but then I would lose the easy rotation of the front lines after a kite loop.
The Wichard is not the primary quickrelease. The Wichard works like the quickrelease at a leash, but at the Pintxo Bar the leash is integrated. Moreover the Wichard is a well known part at race-sailing-boats. It works well since many years. You can find a lot on internet.

All together I must say your review sounds a little bit strange to me, because I think I describe our bar quite well on our website, so you should have known in advance what you would get when you open the box. You are missing a grip, pigtails, bungees to fix the lines and coloured lines. You would prefer to flush the tube and the bar is too light in your opinion. All these points are exactly what the Pintxo Bar stands for. It´s light and simple. It´s completely different to nearly all other bars on the market and that´s what our customers like so much. :roll:

evan wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:45 pm
I am very curious about wear inside the tube.
The 2 flying lines inside the tube are completely straight. The do not have to go around any edges etc. They are connected with a metal ring and a release pin right under the orange quickrelease with splices. That works fantastic. I still have one of my first bars in use for more than one year now and the lines are still looking OK. I have approx 200 sessions per year or even more. Don´t worry you will have no problem here.
evan wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:45 pm
IFrom my experience it is a disaster waiting to happen, even on duotone click bars the flagout line inside the tube snaps because sand buildup and that is a 3mm 1000kg line.
We also use a 3mm full Dyneema line where there is movement like for example the line with the knots and the forelines to the backlines. But our lines are not moving around metal parts. We only have smooth radius for the lines at plastic parts inside the bars ends. There is very few friction. Same here: I am still using my first bar without any problem or need to change lines.

geokite wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:54 pm
It's been a while since I've bought a new bar; what is the purpose of the tubing? Does the bar slide easier, less line wear, just a more tidy setup, etc?
All of the points are correct. Much easier sliding, no wear at lines and a tidy setup.

Ciao

Rainer Kauper
----------------
Attachments
Leinen aufwickeln_800.jpg

windmlv
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Gordon's beach, LaVentana, Baja
Gear: Mike's Lab board, Spotz2, 8m Diablo, 11m Elf Joker 5, 13m Elf Joker 7
Been thanked: 0

Postby windmlv » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:08 pm

Thanks for the bar photo Rainer.
Looking forward to trying it soon in LaVentana. Especially the 5m with the Moses 633.
The season is in full swing here. hundreds of kites/foils out!

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:36 am

I was simply reporting my first impressions when I used the bar. It does feel different. The systems and methods for managing the bar are different to other bars and require changes to your practices or additions to the bar or lines.

Another issue to be aware of is that without soft bar ends and rubber grip, the material of the bar and bar ends is exposed to possible damage. You need to be careful to avoid it falling or banging on hard surfaces. One of my bar ends bumped the ground during washing and there is a tiny scuff in the plastic. It's not a problem as long as you're aware of the possibility and take care. It's probably a good idea to store the bar in the supplied bag when not using it.

I have experienced a number of pass-throughs of the lines. One due to a crash and double inversion and a couple through attaching my lines to the kite before winding out. The compactness of the bar and lack of trim brackets and floats and chicken loop make it very easy to sort the pass-throughs at the bar. Simply pass it through and around and away you go. There's nothing excess to get in the way while you're doing that.
These users thanked the author OzBungy for the post:
ice (Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:46 pm)

Rainer Kauper
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mallorca Beaches
Style: Riding nice waves & Hydrofoil
Pintxo Bar

Postby Rainer Kauper » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:20 pm

OzBungy wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:36 am
I was simply reporting my first impressions when I used the bar.
Thank you very much for that! :thumb:
OzBungy wrote:
It does feel different.
That´s exactly what I wanted to achieve.
OzBungy wrote:
The systems and methods for managing the bar are different to other bars and require changes to your practices or additions to the bar or lines.
When we give our bar to other kiteboarders at the beaches they return and tell us that everything is so simple to use and they are super quickly very familiar with the system. If I had added your points to the bar we would have a similar bar you can buy from many other brands. That´s what I did not like at all. My target was to have something new, much more simple because of minimalism.
OzBungy wrote:
Another issue to be aware of is that without soft bar ends and rubber grip, the material of the bar and bar ends is exposed to possible damage. You need to be careful to avoid it falling or banging on hard surfaces. One of my bar ends bumped the ground during washing and there is a tiny scuff in the plastic. It's not a problem as long as you're aware of the possibility and take care. It's probably a good idea to store the bar in the supplied bag when not using it.
The bar ends are made of injected Polyamide plastic with 15% of fibreglass reinforcement. I think they are very solid and hard to destroy. This material is very tough.

Good winds.

Ciao

Rainer Kauper
----------------

KrisL
Rare Poster
Gear: Core XR5, Drifter, Reo & Maverick on water, Flysurfer & Ozone on snow.

Postby KrisL » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:09 pm

windmlv wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:02 am
Still waiting for any comments on the Kauper Kites.
Can't seem to find anything anywhere.
Hopefully, we will hear something soon.
First, I’ve only been on the Maverick 9m three times (twice with the Pintxo bar). And only on waveboard, not foil (no real waves either).
Confident strapless rider but not super advanced (don’t nail the power jibe every single time e t c). So if you don’t find it good enough, just disregard ok :wink:

But I felt info was scarce (from other users I mean) when infosearching this kite. Rainer provides excellent detailed info himself (thank you for that), both on his own site and on forums like this (or oase) - but somehow you want to read other peoples reflections anyway (or at least I do). Sure I need more sessions on it, but here’s my 2 c so far.

Wind about 11-13 kt, I'm 5'2 and 58 kg (c a 130 lbs) so that was no problem. Kite, 9m, is very stable and trustable and the bar feels fantastic. Very light and super clean as you know (I went from Cab to Core bars - and now it's one step further).
Sits stable on the wingtip during self tethered launch as well.

In short Rainer’s description on the site is very spot on. And of course why wouldn’t it be? Again, I was on strapless, not hydrofoil.
The precise power distribution of the bar is very noticeable right away. You easily kill all the power which feels very good. Great for me since the wind picked up a lot later on 2nd session (about 19-22 kt, gusts a bit more). The kite handles superb even if overpowered (lightyears away from my one strut kites). Does not lock itself in a certain place in the window, but quick and agile the whole time.

The gradual power in the bar travel is (as stated) very sensitive, especially the very last bit sheeted in. Feels like a lot happens that last cm. I absolutely love it, it’s what I want and why I bought it - and it takes getting used to. Any other bar feels very slow in comparison. Pintxo is so light and so calibrated, it's sort of two new factors at the same time. I had to make sure I sheeted out when kite was in certain positions in the window (naturally, but much more and faster than other kites). I got a few lifts when I swept the kite overhead to waterstart and treated the bar like my old Cab.. No doubt you could get good jumps on it (but think I'll use my XR5's for that..).
No worries what so ever about the tubing running through the bar, it's very smooth regardless of angle or position of the bar. Felt 100% safe with it, same with the Wichard shackle.

Really enjoyed the drift and the fast turning ability while jibing and playing around, best I ever experienced (in comparison I have both Drifter and Reo). It’s a fast, stable and very precise kite.
However, when the wind picked up I had a tough time managing the jibes, it’s so fast across the window that my timing went completely off. This is not bad, just wanna explain how I experienced it's behaviour. Will need to dial that power stroke in. And the trimming probably. Gee, I really have to get started on the foil soon! Turn on a dime..

The depower knots on the backline was a bit hard to get sliding in to the bar. This will of course get better when the knots get tighter over time (nothing new, has been discussed in this thread, there is a post on that subject by Rainer). Otherwise it was very clean and easy even with thick gloves on. Love not having a dangling depower rope in my face. Besides, you can kill the power so well with the bar stroke anyway. Just have to get used to how it behaves depending on trim.

Ditched the kite twice and managed to relaunch fine, albeit it took longer than with a LEI. It sinks more into the water and is slower to get on the wing tip (had 9 bar in it). Again, this is nothing unknown, I know the traits of thinner tubes. But it is noticeable. If wind goes down it can sink further (especially if trailing edge down) and you need good technique then. Right now I would not take it in conditions when I need a very fast water relaunch, I have to get more familiar with it first.
The ’steering line and opposite powerline’-technique works good since it’s low Y. Tried it several times on another day when the wind failed me (albeit reached the bottom with my feet which helps). And pulling the centerlines when trailing edge down also works well if you do it fast, before it's sinks a little. It's so light that you yank it up pretty fast.

Another thing, the reach is fine even for my short arms. Important factor for me.
I was a bit hesitant over that, but it’s fine for sure. Have the Wichard shackle on a rope. Wasn’t sure how well I would be able to stretch out my arm and depower the stroke, but it worked excellent.

If I try to make a metaphor about this kite it would be like cooking on an electric stove compared to a gas stove. The first one is a slow heater and slow to cool off. You pretty much know the behaviour of step 1-6 on the knob. It’s predictable and you know what you're gonna get. But with the gas is very sensitive, turn it up and the pot will boil right away, and chill just as fast as you turn it down. And the 'steps' are infinite, you need to get a 'feel' for it.

That's sort of the feeling so far, when you get the finger tip feeling dialled in for this gear - it will be the most precise instrument.
Hope I'll do some more 'cooking' this weekend :D
These users thanked the author KrisL for the post:
ice (Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:45 pm)

Return to “Hydrofoil”