A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
br44
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: LEIs, foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Liquid Force mast - cut to ~75 cm

Postby br44 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:19 pm

What’s the recommended way to cut a Liquid Force mast? Doable with a hacksaw? And what should I use to seal it?

I have 2 LF masts, 60 and 90 cm, but would like to try something in between. The only off-the-shelf option that I found is a Cloud 9 mast - but 68 cm is the only in stock, and I’m not sure if an extra 8 cm is worth $150.

foilfun
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Hefner, Oklahoma City
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Texas
Style: freestyle foiling
Gear: LP, North

Re: Liquid Force mast - cut to ~75 cm

Postby foilfun » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:02 am

wp_ss_20190725_0003 (2).png
wp_ss_20190725_0002 (2).png
I've found these items in the pictures work well. It's also best to clean up & even up the saw cut with a file, and use a chamfer tool on the holes before you tap them. Good luck!
These users thanked the author foilfun for the post:
br44 (Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:11 am)
Rating: 10%

alowishus
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 14
Gear: ozone airush slingshot moses

Postby alowishus » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:25 am

I chopped a few cm off my 30” slingshot mast ‘cause the threads were stuffed (likely manufacturing fault but only noticed a year later and had bought it 2nd hand).
Used a hacksaw and hand filed with a square as a guide. Had to put my reading glasses on, but turned out surprisingly square. Tapped threads. Metal primer spray paint. Good as new. Can barely notice. Not worth buying a new mast imo.
Don’t forget to plug the gaps or your mast will fill up with water. I used sikaflex.
These users thanked the author alowishus for the post:
br44 (Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:12 am)

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: New brighton beach-Derby pool end,Wallasey, near Liverpool
Favorite Beaches: holidays - Flag beach and Matas bay + sotavento on fuerteventura
Home - New Brighton,Rhosneigr, Ainsdale, Fleetwood, Newbrough
Style: improving foiler.
Gear: Groove Skate 130, naked carbon,gold stripes
101cm Moses Carbon mast
71+90cm Slingshot masts with moses adaptor
Moses- 633 and 683s and 790 wing sets
Ozone V4 Reo 6/8/9
Ozone Chrono V3 UL foil kites -15/13/9
Ozone Hyperlink ultra light 5mtr
Ozone compact V4 bars,click in, 16+23 mtr lines
North 2018 click bar with Q power lines
Nobile 50/50 twin tip
massive grin

Postby Foil » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:19 pm

I have just cut my 2019 Slingshot mast down by 10cm,
engineering background many years ago made it stress free using a top quality full size hacksaw, correct hacksaw blade and good slow steady firm cutting action,
The mast "waste" end, held in a vice with mast supported on level plywood,
start at the thick edge with a fine black line from edge to edge to help you guide the blade, as you get near the thin trailing edge,approx 5-8 mm away, turn the mast around, and then using a junior hacksaw join the cuts together,
smooth off the cut edges, clean and smooth off the internal cavity edges with small files,
the holes to be tapped need a 30-40 deg chamfer, use a big drill bit to do this, or a countersinking tool is best if you have one, hold the drill bit in your hand as you do it, don't use a power tool.
Use the original uncut surface on the waste bit of mast to check for the cut surface being level, butt the surfaces together and hold against strong light,
I was very lucky as I was mega careful when cutting, and did not need to make any adjustments, that must be a first for me, don't expect to be so lucky!

Mix up a generous amount of quick setting 2 part epoxy resin and quickly spread it liberally just inside the now exposed cavities, (but not the holes that need tapping)
use a flat block of plywood to place on top of the mast, then quickly turn the mast upside down and place it securely on the floor, supported so the resin runs back down the cavities to plug the holes, when the resin has turned thick and very tacky, then use a stanley knife to separate the wood block from the nearly set resin, then quickly push down and smooth off the little semi cured plugs of resin with your fingers, leave to set and clean the surfaces.
(sealing the end with tape will work as well, and do the same thing, then turn the mast upside down as above)
only the tapping left to do now.
But remember not to cut the thread dry, use WD40, and lots of it, don't allow the cutting noise to become destructive,listen for a smooth cutting sound as soon a creak is heard then reverse the tap back a bit and flood with WD40, so easy to ruin the threads if you just attack it with a dry tapping tool.
Last edited by Foil on Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:

Windigo1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Aylmer
Style: Old School!
Gear: Too many to list
Has thanked: 0

Postby Windigo1 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:32 pm

A mitre saw with a metal blade would be the best to make sure you have a perfect angle.

a99
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Baltic sea
Gear: North, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon laluz.

Postby a99 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:57 pm

Cant understand why people cuting 10-15 cm from original length ? Where is difference to have 90 or 75cm mast ??? What is wrong with those 10-15 cm in riding ??? Do you have exactly lagoon of 80 cm deepth :)?

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:57 pm

70-80 is the perfect wave riding length 90 and above feels like riding a wave on stilts

macgruber
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Oregon coast/gorge
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita, Stevenson, Kanaha
Style: surf & foil
Gear: LF WOW kites
LF Impulse foil
Slingshot surfboards
Shinn Monk tt

Postby macgruber » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:02 pm

I cut mine on a 12” miter saw with an old carbide blade that was too dull for wood. The aluminum mast cut about as quickly as oak. Tapping the 8mm is harder as you need to find a relatively long threaded tap, most are too short for the collar bolts. I’d suggest using the cut end in the collar as it is very tight in case your cut isn’t exactly square. The extrusion plugs are rubber and friction fit so you can swap them off the waste piece using a screw. Mine have never been watertight so I think I’ll push them in a little and epoxy
These users thanked the author macgruber for the post:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:50 am

a99 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:57 pm
Cant understand why people cuting 10-15 cm from original length ? Where is difference to have 90 or 75cm mast ??? What is wrong with those 10-15 cm in riding ??? Do you have exactly lagoon of 80 cm deepth :)?

Don't understand it either...

Then you have to buy a new 90 or 100 cm mast later, when/if you end up realizing that's what you want?

But okay, if you also got a normal mast, I could understand you want a third in between depending on your conditions and style.

Or if you only got super low water spots.

Highly individual which length is favored, some likes a tad shorter I can read.
Odd thing is, around here most go the other way, getting longer masts instead.

For me an 80 cm mast would be utterly useless for foiling, both in flat water, but especially in waves or chop :o

8) PF

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: New brighton beach-Derby pool end,Wallasey, near Liverpool
Favorite Beaches: holidays - Flag beach and Matas bay + sotavento on fuerteventura
Home - New Brighton,Rhosneigr, Ainsdale, Fleetwood, Newbrough
Style: improving foiler.
Gear: Groove Skate 130, naked carbon,gold stripes
101cm Moses Carbon mast
71+90cm Slingshot masts with moses adaptor
Moses- 633 and 683s and 790 wing sets
Ozone V4 Reo 6/8/9
Ozone Chrono V3 UL foil kites -15/13/9
Ozone Hyperlink ultra light 5mtr
Ozone compact V4 bars,click in, 16+23 mtr lines
North 2018 click bar with Q power lines
Nobile 50/50 twin tip
massive grin

Postby Foil » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:33 am

a99 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:57 pm
My lagoon is very shallow and the sandbanks at low tide seem to catch anything 90cm or above, my 74cm is good, and misses most of the time, if not all of the time, but its a pain when trying to get up to speed or hack upwind as the tide floods in, so this 84cm mast(measured when base plate fitted and Moses adaptor fitted)
should work just great,

10cm is very noticable, i could never go back to an old 91cm moses mast after now using my 101 moses mast for the last year :thumb:

Return to “Hydrofoil”