Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

foiling with a big board

Postby TomW » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:32 pm

There's a guy up here that's known for his long-distance windsurfing. He also kites and foils. He's been using a 90L freestyle windsurf board with a hydrofoil and kite to do long distance in light wind. If he gets skunked with wind dieing, he rolls his kite up and paddles in and works it out. Apparently he's going 2km offshore.

This got me thinking to make a board specifically designed for Hydrofoiling and prone paddling if needed. Like a short thick board. 175*47*10cm.

Any thoughts?

AndersP
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and Mutant

Re: foiling with a big board

Postby AndersP » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:09 pm

They already exist.
The small sup foil boards like Horue Moise Pro.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:18 pm

I essentially created this kind of thing by bolting my foil onto a big old rubberized Naish surfboard. I did it because I got tired of crashing and now just do touch-down gybes for transitions, but it also works for getting home, as well as awkward things like surface riding down narrow deep channels with shallows on either side.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:26 pm

I've been looking at the Slingshot Outwit SUP for something similar. I've been dreaming of using a kite to go upwind and then do a downwinder foil run on a SUP for a while. The Outwit 5'10 seems perfect with 100L volume and front/rear straps. A Peak4 5m would fit into a tiny waterproof backpack. The Outwit might also work as a prone foil surf board for a beginner (like me).

https://www.slingshotsports.com/Outwit

I ended up grabbing a brand new Slingshot Simulator because it was 1/4th the price of the Outwit. Honestly couldn't imagine using the Outwit now, the Simulator is BIG compared to my Slingshot Converter and Dwarfcraft 4'6. Haven't tried to prone it yet. Too many boards, not enough wind/waves/time. :D Hoping to find an Outwit on a sale next year.

edit: have two SUP foil boards and still haven't tried to kite-foil them yet. But I'm interested to know how it would feel. I've seen/read all the stuff about kiting with a SUP and the drawbacks/difficulties. It's so much work to rig all this stuff up and in the end I just want to ride waves close to shore.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:47 pm

TomW wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:32 pm
There's a guy up here that's known for his long-distance windsurfing. He also kites and foils. He's been using a 90L freestyle windsurf board with a hydrofoil and kite to do long distance in light wind. If he gets skunked with wind dieing, he rolls his kite up and paddles in and works it out. Apparently he's going 2km offshore.

This got me thinking to make a board specifically designed for Hydrofoiling and prone paddling if needed. Like a short thick board. 175*47*10cm.

Any thoughts?
It's a good concept and the Peak 4 is a perfect kite for this since it packs down so easily. I don't think you need that much volume in a board to prone paddle back

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:20 pm

norcom wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:26 pm
I've seen/read all the stuff about kiting with a SUP and the drawbacks/difficulties.
i've tried kiting with a SUP board and it sucks. i haven't tried kiting with a SUP foil board, but i would think it is an entirely different animal.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:51 am

These users thanked the author gmb13 for the post:
norcom (Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:41 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:39 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:51 am
@2:41 "but today, too lazy to do that" LOL! Nicely done! Exactly what I've been wanting to try but I'm just lazy every day.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:20 pm

Jimmy Lewis Flying V 5'11" @ 105L https://jimmylewis.com/shop/flying-v/

And check out this custom Jimmy Lewis 4'6" board in action

That 4-6 SUP looks hella kiteable to me!

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:58 pm

it's amazing to watch him zoom around while others are standing still waiting for a good wave to come thru. i gotta believe he's not a big guy if that's really a 4'6" board...can he really stand on that without being up on the foil?

which brings me to my main question: does having a foil beneath you on a SUP provide greater stability and therefore allow a much smaller board? thinking about purchasing such a board but i need to be able to stand on it without falling every second. for example, my current standard SUP board is 7'10" Hypernut 130L, which I'm very comfortable on. how much smaller could i go on a SUP foil board?

Return to “Hydrofoil”