Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Maneuverable Seat Harness

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Melnragė, Elektrėnai, Vievis
Favorite Beaches: Melnragė
Style: wave, hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Maneuverable Seat Harness

Postby WH Lithuania » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:28 pm

I like boosting with hydrofoil and I mostly use Mystic carbon hardshell rope harness. However, I found that I can hold much more power with seat harness but it's really not maneuverable. I use a 2012 Dakine Fusion harness.

What would be significantly more maneuverable seat harness model?

Have anyone tried retrofit rope to a seat harness? Does it solve the maneuvrability issue?
sidjachaja_trapecija_dakine_fusion_2012_1.jpg

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Maneuverable Seat Harness

Postby matth » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:35 pm

Sliding rope on a seat makes a huge difference in mobility, I use a jbar on mine. I found the Dakine too stiff and cumbersome. Now I use a Mystic Driver and love it.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:02 pm

anyone know if a mystic stealth bar pairs with a minimal seat harness like a tuna fish?

HaylingBilly
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hayling Island U.K.
Favorite Beaches: Gotta be Hayling Island...
Gear: Slingshot Lift Foil, Liquid Force 12m solo, FS Sonic11 & 15, Naish Pivot 10m, Best TS 10m, Blade Trigger 7m, FS Unity 10, FS Peak4 8.
Moses Onda, Lift/Slingshot NF2

Postby HaylingBilly » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:53 am

You can easily make up a sliding spreader bar by cutting off the hook from a spreader like the tunafish above has and making up a length of Dyneema with a Brumel Spliced loop on either end. Cheap, easy, lighter than the original and lasts a long time.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:02 am

I used a Dynabar with the Fusion, and it's much better. Given how much I foil and don't TT now, I've started using a hybrid waist/seat cos it's lighter and less bulky...
These users thanked the author Kamikuza for the post:
WH Lithuania (Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:38 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Melnragė, Elektrėnai, Vievis
Favorite Beaches: Melnragė
Style: wave, hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Postby WH Lithuania » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:34 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:02 am
I used a Dynabar with the Fusion, and it's much better. Given how much I foil and don't TT now, I've started using a hybrid waist/seat cos it's lighter and less bulky...
Which hybrid waist/seat harness do you use? Does it unload the load from the back like Dakine Fusion? I'm looking for something that unloads the load from the back, allows movement of the body and maybe even sits a bit higher so it's easier for jumps and other freestyle moves.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:27 pm

Dakine vega is the best balance of light and minimal and still robust enough to trust in big boosts. Generally harder to find but really good and light. I tried on just about everything seat wise at the wall in Real in Hatteras a while ago and reinforced that it was still the best choice for me. I run a Halo bar but am wondering about a slider setup....just freaks me out some from a big air perspective.

What they say in the description...and I agree with:

We have seen a resurgence in the Vega harness over the last few years with the rise of foiling. The Vega is a great lightweight, minimal harness with a low spreader bar position to give you maximum sheeting range that meets the needs of foilers well. It is very comfortable and it’s minimal design makes it very light and compact allowing for uninhibited range of motion. Just want you need where you need it and nothing else, the Vega is the harness of choice for those who know.

These users thanked the author cwood for the post:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:09 pm

WH Lithuania wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:34 am
Kamikuza wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:02 am
Which hybrid waist/seat harness do you use? Does it unload the load from the back like Dakine Fusion? I'm looking for something that unloads the load from the back, allows movement of the body and maybe even sits a bit higher so it's easier for jumps and other freestyle moves.
Mystic Star Hybrid from about 2015 or 16, looks like, from the pictures I can find. Damn thing still looks brand new, while my Fusion looked years old after the first month :lol: the pants part is more like briefs, while the later models look more like shorts...

I only foil with it -- big wing small kite not super powered, I'm not cranking and loading like racers.

Had lower back surgery for ruptured discs, so I'm a bit paranoid about all that, but it's fine. There's a "pull down" strap, so I haul it down low and actually do the leg straps up a little. Dynabar helps too.

It's what you'd expect. Load a bit higher, less bulky around the legs and gut, less wedgie but can ride up a little more. I use the Fusion strictly with a fixed hook for TT riding now.

I don't notice any more soreness the day after than I'd expect from the seat harness...
Last edited by Kamikuza on Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:11 pm

cwood wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:27 pm
I run a Halo bar but am wondering about a slider setup....just freaks me out some from a big air perspective.
Used to ride the Fusion with the Dynabar for all riding, including big air. It's fine, and when you get used to it moving, you actually appreciate the movement. Or at least, I did :D

Fixed hook is crisper feeling for jumping though. Rope seems to absorb the yank a little ...

rleshem
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby rleshem » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:17 pm

+1 for mystic driver - I found the fusions too stiff as well.
These users thanked the author rleshem for the post:
WH Lithuania (Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:37 pm)

Return to “Hydrofoil”