Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Maneuverable Seat Harness

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Melnragė, Elektrėnai, Vievis
Favorite Beaches: Melnragė
Style: wave, hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Re: Maneuverable Seat Harness

Postby WH Lithuania » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:37 pm

rleshem wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:17 pm
+1 for mystic driver - I found the fusions too stiff as well.
Mystic Star Hybrid or Mystic Driver. That's two different harnesses.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:08 pm

The most maneuverable seat harnesses are the board shorts harnesses (e.g., Dakine Nitrous). For hydrofoiling, I use a Dakine Nitrous with a sliding spreader bar (12" Dakine spreader with hook removed). It's a minimalist setup, great for toe-side riding, and works well for boosting.

If you are used to a fixed hook spreader, it will take a session or two to get used to the slider for boosting. The slider feels (and is) less stationary. But, in the final analysis, I've been willing to make the trade-off when hydrofoiling because of the superior maneuverability of the slider for carving transitions and toe-side riding. But for TT riding, I still use a Mystic Force Shield seat harness (discontinued model) with a fixed hook spreader.

rleshem
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby rleshem » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:30 pm

Mystic driver is a true seat harness - I.e more pull from legs. The star is a waist harness with foot straps so the harness doesn’t ride up.

I use the driver.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:03 pm

Oh I should add -- the Star is soft, even compared to the Fusion (especially the new one). I haul the spreader bar and pull down straps as tight as possible, and just snug the legs. The Dynabar is 13 inches wide (I don't use clips at all), so aside from the initial feeling of BDSM-on-the-beach, it's a comfy harness with no pressure points.

Sliding spreader bar is the secret I think.

Keep meaning to try the Dynabar with the Dakine Renegade I have in the shed ... used only once or twice cos it rides up like a mother with regular TT riding, and I'm too roundy and flabby to pull it down on the water or leave it loose :D

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:16 pm

I too like the darkine Vega with a mystic stealth bar with rope. I had to trim the wings on the stealth bar aBout an inch to make the stealth bar work.

The Vega is a very minimal harness but still functional.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:52 pm

Vega with a Dynabar rope slider, I just open my chicken loop and secure it around the rope. I know this is just a meme at this point on Kiteforum, but this was a LITERAL game-changer for me after a L5/S1 herniation. Being able to put my hips in a comfortable position with the rope slider allowed me to kite again without pain.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:54 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:08 pm
The most maneuverable seat harnesses are the board shorts harnesses (e.g., Dakine Nitrous). For hydrofoiling, I use a Dakine Nitrous with a sliding spreader bar (12" Dakine spreader with hook removed). It's a minimalist setup, great for toe-side riding, and works well for boosting.

If you are used to a fixed hook spreader, it will take a session or two to get used to the slider for boosting. The slider feels (and is) less stationary. But, in the final analysis, I've been willing to make the trade-off when hydrofoiling because of the superior maneuverability of the slider for carving transitions and toe-side riding. But for TT riding, I still use a Mystic Force Shield seat harness (discontinued model) with a fixed hook spreader.
Board short harness with rope slider is very good for freedom. I forget I have it on. I've tried Fusion, it's like a straight jacket.

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:19 pm

+1 for the Dakine Vega, or in my case, the windsurf version called Dakine Reflex. Same exact harness but the “Vega” has a handle pass loop. If you don’t need that, the Reflex can be found for cheaper. I cuff off the spreader bar hook for DIY slider or center rope attachment to chickenless QR.

baxterbradford
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth, UK
Gear: Foil, surfboard, twintip & 8-18m kites
Has thanked: 0

Postby baxterbradford » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:10 am

Sad that Mystic stopped making the Supporter seat harness which I found really good.
Have been using Ion Radar for last 18 months which has been good. Have just ordered another one & this has the new style over-centre cam tensioned spreader bar, would have thought that their rope slider spreader bar would fit well if OP is keen to use one.

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Melnragė, Elektrėnai, Vievis
Favorite Beaches: Melnragė
Style: wave, hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Postby WH Lithuania » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:34 pm

Thanks everyone. I'll try to find Dakine Vega but we don't have dealer here.

Does anyone tried Mystic Foil https://www.mysticboarding.com/products ... ess#000000 ? Maybe even can compare to Dakine Vega?

Return to “Hydrofoil”