Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone Having Success With Long Lines On Their Peaks?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Kitedougiefresh
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Lido, Siesta Key, Turtle
Style: Downwind Swell
Gear: Boardriding Maui
Peak 4
Slingshot Hoverglide
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Anyone Having Success With Long Lines On Their Peaks?

Postby Kitedougiefresh » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:14 pm

Have fallen in love with Peak 8, to the extent I don't want to fly my Cloud 13.4D. Big guy so I use 34M lines with cloud to go in under 10. As a test, I threw the lines on the Peak yesterday and had some limited success in what I felt was 7-8. Was wondering if anyone else has tried this and what lengths have you used. Was considering Peak 11 but wavering based on a lot of you guys not caring for it. So I may just live with the Peak and knowing i have to have 8-9 minimum to go unless someone has a suggestion that doesn't involve big money which is a huge attraction to me for the Peak.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Anyone Having Success With Long Lines On Their Peaks?

Postby tomtom » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:19 pm

I think Peak have limited top flight speed which can be obtained on quite short lines - i feel almost no difference between 21 and 25. On other kites this is huge difference in powerspike. But i wasnt testing this rigorously in same controled condition - its just my feeling
These users thanked the author tomtom for the post:
Kitedougiefresh (Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:54 pm)
Rating: 10%

elguapo
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: cabarete, kanaha
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Anyone Having Success With Long Lines On Their Peaks?

Postby elguapo » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:42 pm

tomtom wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:19 pm
I think Peak have limited top flight speed which can be obtained on quite short lines - i feel almost no difference between 21 and 25. On other kites this is huge difference in powerspike. But i wasnt testing this rigorously in same controled condition - its just my feeling

same.
i fly on 29m lines (i believe) with the thin "race" lines.. i cant really take advantage the apparent wind speed with the 8m peak4 like i could would with certain other popular double skinned foil kites

i think the key is having sufficient surface area on your hydrofoil wing...
...i havent gotten get the same low wind results with a much high aspect race wing on the same kite

i prefer the longer lines...
maybe its mental but it also gives me a a bit more confidence in terms of keeping kite in the air (ie time to recover) with a kite i may not be able to relaunch in the surf
These users thanked the author elguapo for the post:
Kitedougiefresh (Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:54 pm)
Rating: 10%

Return to “Hydrofoil”