Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

NZ South Island foiling spots

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Ramkiter
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Gear: Flysurfer Soul 10 & 6 Slingshot SST 8, 6 & 4. Zeeko Scrambler with carver 950 foil and surfboard.
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

NZ South Island foiling spots

Postby Ramkiter » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:36 pm

Hi All,

Currently planning a trip in Jan/Feb 2020 touring the South Island in New Zealand and looking for info on any foiling friendly locations we could build into this trip, any local groups of foilers FB or whatsup?
Are the lakes any good, or any coastal spots particularly suited to foiling?

Thanks

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: NZ South Island foiling spots

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:53 am

I can only speak for Christchurch, but if you find the FB group they'll comment on other places.

Many people foil when the wind is light, so it's a large group.

You've miles off coast for wave riding, the estuary if you have a short mast, or the harbor when the wind is right. Lake Coleridge I've seen people foil at, but it seems a waste as we only go up there when the wind is cranking.

I'll be there in February too.
These users thanked the author Kamikuza for the post:
Ramkiter (Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:15 am)
Rating: 10%

DukeSilver
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Pelican Point Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Graveyards
Style: Hydrofoil, Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Ozone Reo, Ozone Hyperlink, Slingshot foil board, Cabrinha Skillit

Postby DukeSilver » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:53 am

I lived in Queenstown NZ for 5 years and there was a crew of Windsurfers and one or 2 Kiters who would brave the icy waters of Lake Wakatipu. You'll be cold, but the views may be worth it. And don't worry about depth - it's hundreds of metres deep in places and most of the shoreline is steeply sloping.
These users thanked the author DukeSilver for the post:
Ramkiter (Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:15 am)

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:45 pm

DukeSilver wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:53 am
I lived in Queenstown NZ for 5 years and there was a crew of Windsurfers and one or 2 Kiters who would brave the icy waters of Lake Wakatipu. You'll be cold, but the views may be worth it. And don't worry about depth - it's hundreds of metres deep in places and most of the shoreline is steeply sloping.
Dear God why? Were you tired of having money? :lol:

There's a rather insane foiler who kites around the lake and up the rivers... He seems to rescue himself a lot :lol:

DukeSilver
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Pelican Point Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Graveyards
Style: Hydrofoil, Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Ozone Reo, Ozone Hyperlink, Slingshot foil board, Cabrinha Skillit

Postby DukeSilver » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:47 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:45 pm
DukeSilver wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:53 am
Dear God why? Were you tired of having money? :lol:

There's a rather insane foiler who kites around the lake and up the rivers... He seems to rescue himself a lot :lol:
Not at all. I bought a lakeside property there 1 year before the first Lord of the Rings film was released and sold it 3 years later for a $220k profit. We had a wonderful 5 years there and I still miss it. Went to Christchurch as well..........once :lol: .

And yes. You'd have to be keen to kite the waters around there. Wearing an inadequate wetsuit there could kill you. The lake is 6 degrees in winter, 8 degrees in summer.

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia
Has thanked: 0

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:45 am

Lake Clearwater with a very short mast

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:45 am

I havent foiled in SI. But you will need some good wet suitage for the southern lakes. The see will be reasonable temps by then though. West coast is wild, east coast has smaller swell. Nelson is light wind with shallows but i have seen pics of dudes foiling there. I also know of dudes foiling in chch and dunedin but as stated havent foiled myself down there.
These users thanked the author plummet for the post:
Ramkiter (Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:28 pm)

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:03 am

plummet wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:45 am
I havent foiled in SI. But you will need some good wet suitage for the southern lakes. The see will be reasonable temps by then though. West coast is wild, east coast has smaller swell. Nelson is light wind with shallows but i have seen pics of dudes foiling there. I also know of dudes foiling in chch and dunedin but as stated havent foiled myself down there.
Not unless you're really sensitive to the cold. I was comfy in a 2mm shorty, most other guys were in summer weight full suits.

The sea is reasonable if you're used to cold oceans :lol: had guys from like Florida refuse to go near it because it's "too cold".

Swell in Pegasus Bay depends on wind direction and strength. Easterlies are comfortable head high and a bit, northerlies drive it right up, but you only get them once or twice a month in summer. But they're jolly good.

Oh, the harbor launch spot is a bit sketchy, best to go with a local. Get on the Christchurch FB group. The port authority has a live weather station webpage too.

pākihiroa
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby pākihiroa » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:06 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:03 am
Oh, the harbor launch spot is a bit sketchy, best to go with a local. Get on the Christchurch FB group. The port authority has a live weather station webpage too.
http://www.lpc.co.nz/lpc/weather-forecast/

Scroll down to get graphs of temperatures, windspeed, etc including for days gone by. Contact LPC and suggest to them, politely of course, the default graph should be wind speed/direction and not temperature. Life is too short to be wasting time navigating drop down menus each and every time :lol: .

And, Lyttelton harbour is a few km over the hill, or through the tunnel, from Christchurch.
These users thanked the author pākihiroa for the post:
Ramkiter (Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:28 pm)

Cab Driver
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:45 pm

A: I am not from NZ nor do I live there.
B: I didn't get to kite it and I'm kicking myself for having gone twice and not having gear on either trip.
C: I did campervan the heck out of South Island for several weeks and saw some epic places to kite.
D: Wind is tricky because it's flowing through valleys, fjords, and around corners of mountains.
E: Wellington is one of the windiest places I've ever seen, but it's not on the South Island (just a quick ferry boat ride across though)

Disclaimer, it's frickin cold. I mean brutally cold. I'm guessing the warmest kiting month is February? I was Nov/Dec twice. Drysuit or lots of rubber are necessary.

1. Glenorchy. Interesting weather, but all the lakes in the south have an amazing glow and power to them and it would be "fun" just to get out there.
2. Queenstown - already mentioned and has a somewhat reliable afternoon blast. Watch out for the airport in Frankton - I'm not sure how far away you need to be.
3. Lake Wanaka. Downwinder from the very north at the sandbanks to the very south at the town Wanaka. This looked like the most appealing to me, although the wind varies some from the start to the finish - there was plenty of breeze. There's nowhere to get out once you get started as the "banks" are steep.
4. Okarito beach west coast. Great camping spot there (a private one). There is a grass strip runway you cross then you are on a nice beach with side shore wind - open ocean.
5. Marahau, at the south end of Abel Tasman national park. I think they even have a kite center here. Wasn't windy while I was there, but the water taxi driver told me it's generally breezy and certainly enough for foiling. Water is "warm" compared to the glacier melt lakes.
6. Warrington Recreational Reserve. Near Waitati, just north of Dunedin... The wind is a bit offshore on the ocean side and there is a small wave, but the estuary side is side-on with typical gusty mountain breeze.
7. Tautuku Bay. This is far south near the Catlins. They have a surfing school here, so there's wind and surf if you catch it right.

These are my observations. People kite Marahau and they kite Warrington and apparently a few other Dunedin spots. I'm sure there's heaps more north of Chistchurch on those beaches too. The unique kiting would be in the lakes with the amazing glow of the water and the powerful mountain views. I can't speak for Lake Pukaki (at the base of Mt. Cook 3,724m) or Lake Tekapo, but both looked pretty nice as I drove past. From what I remember, they didn't have the same funnel effect for the wind that the other lakes I mentioned can have, but I'm going off memory.

Enjoy.
These users thanked the author Cab Driver for the post:
Ramkiter (Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:56 am)

Return to “Hydrofoil”