Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Gong foils?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
GTC
Frequent Poster
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:57 pm
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Wainman
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Gong foils?

Postby GTC » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:45 pm

Hi,

I am looking for my first foil and I found this French company.
The Allvator foil and board comes at 799€, which is a fraction of a "top brand" foil set.

Anyone tried these foils?b Their kites also look nice.

Thanks in advance!

GTC
Frequent Poster
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:57 pm
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Wainman
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Gong foils?

Postby GTC » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:35 am

Cmon! No one tried these foils?

winduser
Rare Poster
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:24 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Gear: 2014
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Gong foils?

Postby winduser » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:49 am


User avatar
FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1241
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 1:58 am
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freestyle, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cabrinha Apollo, FS Speed 4, FS Soul, Pansh Aurora II, Axis Ltd, RRD Poison, SS Ankle Biter, SS Hoverglide
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: Gong foils?

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:16 pm

GTC wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:35 am
Cmon! No one tried these foils?
Use the "search" feature, good friend.

GTC
Frequent Poster
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:57 pm
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Wainman
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Gong foils?

Postby GTC » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:30 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:16 pm
GTC wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:35 am
Cmon! No one tried these foils?
Use the "search" feature, good friend.
Very helpful on your part.
I already did! And I posted a new topic because that's what I get when searching for "Allvator" in topic titles.
Attachments
Captura de Pantalla 2019-08-05 a les 15.23.37.png

elguapo
Frequent Poster
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:01 pm
Favorite Beaches: cabarete, kanaha
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 80 times

Re: Gong foils?

Postby elguapo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:39 pm

all i know is ol boy's beard game is hellava impressive...

These users thanked the author elguapo for the post:
GTC (Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:51 pm)
Rating: 10%

jamescarlyle
Rare Poster
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:59 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Gong foils?

Postby jamescarlyle » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:47 pm

Hi

I've had both Hellvator (older carbon) and Allvator (newer alloy) foils from Gong. The Allvator is good value - I've had zero problems with it over the last 6 months. Board quality is OK. With a medium Surf foil I can ride down to walking speed, so gybing, toe-side etc. is much easier. No issues with the foils (moulded carbon) or the mast and fuselage (chunky heavy-duty alloy).

The Hellvator had a design quirk - the stabiliser was intended to provide lift, but this led to a broncho'ing ride, and pretty soon it started to ship with negative AoA shims. The older Hellvator board quality on my board also wasn't great - the skin was very prone to dings.

Overall I think you get what you pay for, though. My Horue was 1/2 the weight and a thing of beauty - but also much harder to use.

James
These users thanked the author jamescarlyle for the post:
GTC (Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:51 pm)
Rating: 10%

elguapo
Frequent Poster
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:01 pm
Favorite Beaches: cabarete, kanaha
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 80 times

Re: Gong foils?

Postby elguapo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:54 pm

jamescarlyle wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:47 pm
Hi

I've had both Hellvator (older carbon) and Allvator (newer alloy) foils from Gong. The Allvator is good value - I've had zero problems with it over the last 6 months. Board quality is OK. With a medium Surf foil I can ride down to walking speed, so gybing, toe-side etc. is much easier. No issues with the foils (moulded carbon) or the mast and fuselage (chunky heavy-duty alloy).

The Hellvator had a design quirk - the stabiliser was intended to provide lift, but this led to a broncho'ing ride, and pretty soon it started to ship with negative AoA shims. The older Hellvator board quality on my board also wasn't great - the skin was very prone to dings.

Overall I think you get what you pay for, though. My Horue was 1/2 the weight and a thing of beauty - but also much harder to use.

James

which horue?

Windigo1
Medium Poster
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:57 pm
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Aylmer
Style: Old School!
Gear: Too many to list
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Gong foils?

Postby Windigo1 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:46 pm

I just got an Allvator it's a really nice foil well made but I haven't been able to ride it yet the weeds are out here and it gets stuck in the weeds a lot more than my Shinn foil who is almost weedproof! I will post a review when I get to try it!

jamescarlyle
Rare Poster
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:59 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Gong foils?

Postby jamescarlyle » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:04 pm



Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cglazier, FLandOBX, Øyvind, Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests

cron