Favorite Beaches: Maui, Turqs, Hood River for Aug
Gear: Drifters, 2018 7, 9, Airusdh Ultra 12 2019
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: A fix for the loose screw Moses Fuselage to Mast

Postby skideeppow » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:00 pm

oregonkiter wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:27 pm
I have the 107 cm Slingshot/Moses Ghostwhisper mast with the 633 setup. I have never had any of the mast bolts loosen up at all in three years. It might be interesting to compare the difference in the 2017 Moses vs 2019 Moses masts to see what's different re the forward bolt hole.
I also have this setup, but the graphic is the green writing Ghost Whisperer on it. I just spent a month in the gorge and foiled every day. The front screw always came undone. Every session. I just stumbled upon this thread.

This guy foil is unreal, must be an engineer. Between his foil repair and this, i am so impressed.

Flag53
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 10
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr

Cayo guiermo
Style: Mixed
Gear: Mixed
Has thanked: 0

Postby Flag53 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:03 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:26 pm
salvino wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:53 pm
I just put downward pressure on front wing as I’m finishing tightening that screw. It seems to stay secure by doing this as it’s not loose after session.
Even if not using Moses stuff, but had a foil with a similar connection:
This is the way I also would recommend to do it, pre tighten the connection, then load the wing (board with foil upside down on a usable soft ground) with full body weight as it is during usage (also carefully move wingtips) and finally tighten the front screw under this load in the best case with a torque wrench.
If you always do this from first usage, the conection should always stay tightened. If you already have used your foil parts with a loose screws, the connection may be already unvisibly damaged and could also get loose if you then start to do it the right way.

Spring washers, Locktite blue, new bolts, new washers, including spring lock ones, no washer and slightly longer bolts, dry thread, greasy thread, fingers crossed ...
all will not necessarily work if not loading it as described and especially if the connection is already slightly damaged.
I also do this and it works every time 👍

joekitetime
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Sherman
Style: surf, foil, wake, plywood
Gear: wainman, slingshot, homegrown

Postby joekitetime » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:30 pm

Putting downward force on the wing then tightening does not work, at least yesterday via my experiment.

I did it twice, it it worked not neither time. Once on the Moses 790 and once on the 683.

It sounded like a good fix though.

It probably does work on combos that do not have the severity of the problem in the first place I'm guessing.

wavy navy
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Style: foil/wave
Gear: Slingshot
Been thanked: 0

Postby wavy navy » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:41 pm

I know the problem very well with aluminium masts. Best solution I found is a lot of teflon band.

Return to “Hydrofoil”