Slingy Apollo 2020 wing...

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Re: Slingy Apollo 2020 wing...

Postby NYKiter » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:34 pm

Probably the main difference is Moses makes things themselves and Slingy has China make them.....

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby grigorib » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:40 pm

Someone above called out Moses (and same for Slingshot) marketing strategy of "confusion" a pretty smart move to sell more wings.

Pretty much standard H4 Space Skate wing was a great replacement for H5 as a default set wing but at the same time the H2 (Gamma 68) wing was kicking ass and could have substituted for both. The H1 (Time Code 68) wing didn't get much light of the day in its first year (as H1) but was pretty much a third overlapping wing in the line.

Then in 2018 Slingshot released a pretty amazing Infinity 76 which with same size as H4 Space Skate (hard to believe until you see the numbers) is a good substitute/replacement of H4 and a fifth overlapping wing.

This year there's Apollo...

So Gamma 68, Time Code 68 and Apollo are in the same area ballpark and my gut feeling would call for Time Code 68 still topping all three of these. Or Apollo but for sake sake it must be confusing as hell to most of people.

The H4 Space Skate and Infinity 76 are about 20% larger wings and they also highly overlap.

I am sure Slingshot is enjoying making more and more wings and maybe they get molds cheap but I'd be cleaning the line aggressively and rather have folks experiment with new coming year wing than confusing customers with too much choice

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:17 pm

Does anyone know how the weight of the SS Apollo 60 compares to the Moses 633? I'm (178 lbs/80 kgs) using the SS H2 (Gamma) now with a LF Galaxy 4'2" board. I'm intermediate level freeride, can jibe reliably with down loops in both directions, like to jump, starting to work on duck tacks and foot switches. I like the H2 a lot, but it's so darn heavy. Thinking of an upgrade, but not sure whether the Apollo 60 is enough of an improvement over the H2. If there is a notable weight difference, the 633 might be worth the extra $$'s to me (I'd need Moses wing, fuse, and stabilizer - already have a Moses to SS mast adapter, so I'd use my SS masts). Thanks for any input.

DukeSilver
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Melville Beach Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Graveyards
Style: Hydrofoil, Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Ozone Reo, Ozone Hyperlink, Moses 683s, home built pocket foil board, Cabrinha Skillit

Postby DukeSilver » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:37 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:17 pm
Does anyone know how the weight of the SS Apollo 60 compares to the Moses 633? I'm (178 lbs/80 kgs) using the SS H2 (Gamma) now with a LF Galaxy 4'2" board. I'm intermediate level freeride, can jibe reliably with down loops in both directions, like to jump, starting to work on duck tacks and foot switches. I like the H2 a lot, but it's so darn heavy. Thinking of an upgrade, but not sure whether the Apollo 60 is enough of an improvement over the H2. If there is a notable weight difference, the 633 might be worth the extra $$'s to me (I'd need Moses wing, fuse, and stabilizer - already have a Moses to SS mast adapter, so I'd use my SS masts). Thanks for any input.
I had the original SS Hoverglide wing and last year bought the Apollo 60. I LOVE this wing. It's certainly lighter than my original wing. I ride strapless and the foil sinks much more slowly than my old wing. It is faster and has a fantastic low end too. 360s, gybes and tacks are much easier to learn on this wing. Very carvy yet stable enough for easy foiling foot switches. I highly recommend this wing to any SS foil owners.
These users thanked the author DukeSilver for the post:
FLandOBX (Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:03 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:03 pm

DukeSilver wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:37 pm
FLandOBX wrote:
I had the original SS Hoverglide wing and last year bought the Apollo 60. I LOVE this wing. It's certainly lighter than my original wing. I ride strapless and the foil sinks much more slowly than my old wing. It is faster and has a fantastic low end too. 360s, gybes and tacks are much easier to learn on this wing. Very carvy yet stable enough for easy foiling foot switches. I highly recommend this wing to any SS foil owners.
Thanks, Duke. That's helpful. My H2 wing is much heavier than the original H5/NF2/Hoverglide wing, which I also had, so your input tells me that the Apollo 60 is lighter than both.

The word "carbon" is used to describe the H2, the Apollo 60, and the Moses wings, but there seems to be a lot of variation in "carbon" wings. Some, like Moses, are all carbon and very light; others like the H2 are a composite, with some carbon in the mix, and can be very heavy. "Carbon" wings seem to be a lot like "all natural" food products - you've got to dig deeper to understand the meaning.

PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils

Postby PrfctChaos » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:50 am

The light "carbon" wings have a foam core and just carbon skin. That is the way with most large / higher volume wings. As far as i know only the very thin fast wings are carbon all the way through, with no core.

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby toyletbowl » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:30 am

DukeSilver wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:37 pm
FLandOBX wrote:
That's awesome.
The Apollos is an amazing wing. SO versatile for many riders and abilities. It's a wing most everyone should have.
Take the Apollos wing with a 28" mast and micro board and you have a very light set up that is a lot of un and versatile.

I say....get a really good set up, ride the piss out of it and have fun.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

Return to “Hydrofoil”