No votes

Total votes: 132

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Line length poll

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:43 pm

Soooo many different likings on line lengths :rollgrin:

Have set up a poll, and when saying "Big/Lightwind" I mean more than 10 m2 in size, or something like that (depends on your weight so individual), meaning when really low or marginal wind.

And "Small/Medium" are the kites you use otherwise.

Of course some might change lines depending on conditions, but pick what you use the most.

And some might use different lines on their smallest kites, but you have to choose your most used then, as otherwise it would get too complex.

8) Peter

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Re: Line length poll

Postby elguapo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:06 pm

i use the same line lengths(~29m) for everything... except for the high aspect race kites(then i use the recommended 12m)

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Postby BraCuru » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:17 am

I stopped using lines longer than 17m.
Don't see any advantage of longer lines for foil kites.
For Big Air - only 11m or shorter even for 15m kites.

Much easier to jump 15m+ on a hydrofoil with 11m lines.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:31 pm

Some very distinct trends, keep the votes coming :D

8) Peter

juanpasala
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Calima
Favorite Beaches: Calima
San Andres
Cabo de la Vela
Style: Freeride / Foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot 10 / Soul 10 / Sonic 3 11-15
Crazyfly Raptor LTD / Cogua - Levitaz Bionic

Postby juanpasala » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:54 pm

To me it seems the options available for foil kites are well off the reality, if there s an interest in knowing real lenghts used, should make ranges in the 10 - 12 and 15mt

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:02 am

Why the trend for short lines for Big/Lightwind foil kites? Do long lines not offer a big advantage in marginal winds giving a bigger power-stroke?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:40 am

dave1986 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:02 am
Why the trend for short lines for Big/Lightwind foil kites? Do long lines not offer a big advantage in marginal winds giving a bigger power-stroke?

Very dominant, with supershort lines on big marginal/lightwind foilkites, and not surprisingly supershort lines on smaller foil kites.

My experience and take on this is:

There is a gain with longer lines, in terms of pushing the low end with foil kites also, no doubt.
Not as dominant as on LEI kites, as the foil kites got better powerspike, but still, in the big sizes the powerspike is not that big, and they loop lousy, compared to medium sized high AR foil kites or big LEI kites.

BUT, racers, when I ride and talk about this with my friends (actually most of them are dedicated racers) KNOW they could push the low end even further with longer lines, but two reasons why they never do this is

1. The races they attend will be cancelled in such low wind.
2. The timing in "everything", will be changed, so bad to do in regards of racing practice.

Shorter lines and bigger really powered kites are what gives the best race results, as lines get "stiffer" thus kite more responsive powerwise, which means you can transform every gust to speed or upwind/downwind gain much better.
Apart from in general being easier to handle extreme gusts too, besides fast/easy transitions when powered.

I can see, that many non-racers with race kites, are adviced to use the supershort lines, or buy complete second hand, and they also see almost everyone using these with the biggest kites, so they choose these for marginal winds too.
Which IMO is a bit of a shame if they really chase the ultimate lightwind, and dont race nor practice racing.

In LEI everyone uses longer lines with the bigger kites, that is not surprising and makes sense both for more powerstroke to be able to start, but also for easier recovery so you dont ditch the kite in lulls, apart from longer powerstroke so a more fluid jibe.

But surprised to see the majority by far, using their normal lines with medium LEI kitesizes, and almost noone used a tad longer lines, but that might just be me :roll:
It could be most find it works better for them, but it could also be ease, because they use the same bar for other boards too, and find it easier to fly the same kites with the same lines as they are used to on other boards.

If true or not will probably not be possible to reveal really, but I am sure it makes a difference, dont know how big the impact is though.

8) Peter

From the 107 votes:
Attachments
Linelengths.jpg

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:28 am

I actually dont use anything longer than 13m lines and thats only on my 21m. I honestly dont think i will get better low end with longer than 13m lines on my 21m, it will only help me at waterstart a little, and thats all, under 4-5 knots it doesnt really matter if you have 13 or 20, you mess up, you swim.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:18 am

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:28 am
I actually dont use anything longer than 13m lines and thats only on my 21m. I honestly dont think i will get better low end with longer than 13m lines on my 21m, it will only help me at waterstart a little, and thats all, under 4-5 knots it doesnt really matter if you have 13 or 20, you mess up, you swim.

But then you have admitted, that it helps, even if only a tad.

As the balancing point for ultimate low end is to waterstart as the primary issue, right?

And it is the same I hear from others "I dont think it will...", most havent tried it.
Which also makes sense, as we are near "swim" windrange yes, so I can understand that, also if the gain is small, compared to not being able to ride like used to.

So yes, if the gain is minimal, compared to the disadvantages with longer lines, it is very understandable Pedro.

Only for those of us chasing the absolute minimum, it works just fine, as we are some that dont ride these big foilkites in more wind than max 6 knots

8) Peter

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:10 pm

I went myself thru all the possible combinations.

I started with a 17m v2 with 17m lines , then switched for a 19m v2 on 17m lines and after it 15m lines, then to 21m v2 with 15m lines and switched later to 13m lines.

So basically if you need to water start often, meaning you fail your manouvers, longer lines (15m) will help. If you almost dont crash anymore you dont need them .

The problem with the 21m foil kite and longer lines is that its gets REALLY uncomfortable if the wind gets to 10 knots, and with shorter lines its perfect in 10 knots

Return to “Hydrofoil”