Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Lift surf series wing sets

Postby GregK » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:45 am

Stoked to see Lift have come out with a new series of wing-sets with interchangeable fronts and stabs, totally compatible with their current struts/masts ...

mmac
Medium Poster
Local Beach: IOP
Style: surf
Gear: Duotone
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: Lift surf series wing sets

Postby mmac » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:14 am

Yea, wonder how the new 170/40 modular surf wings work for kite foiling?

GuillaumeCoteMenard
Rare Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: Neo-Slash
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby GuillaumeCoteMenard » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:42 am

Nice post, i was just about to ask for a real user review (not seller) of the 170 for kite foiling... Couldn’t really find one yet...
Thank in advance! ...:)

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:29 am

Have recently switched to the Lift 170 classic, not the slightly thicker profile surf wing. Mine is one piece with integrated stab, not the two piece like the surf wings in the clip above.

I'm 175 lbs in my 5th season foiling. Cracked my tacks and switches pretty well last season. I had started on a standard freeride wing in the 500 square cm range, stepped up to 700 then to 1200 this spring. Those steps were great and I was happy with the size but also knew I didn't need to go any bigger. My previous wing was very thin and still plenty fast, felt really great while carving, but was a little skittish in a straight line.

If I were to describe the Lift in a word it would be smooth. It was a major change that felt a bit like cheating. Everything got easier. It is just as carvey as my last wing, but has none of the challenge when you track straight. Every aspect of the ride is smooth as it is really pitch stable across all speeds. No sudden shifting your weight forward when you suddenly accelerate, which suits me well as I am on and off the throttle like a dirt bike. It has slightly less area than my previous wing, but much more lift. Starts up earlier on each kite and I rig down in lighter winds now. That pitch stability also means easy foot switching. I intentionally chose the classic wing for it's thinner profile as I like having some speed on tap. It is great in this regard and can go plenty fast. The added stability is a confidence boost so it's easy to access the speed. To my surprise it can also go a fair bit slower than my previous wing and has a softer stall warning. My previous wing could go pretty slow but had a sharp stall that I encountered sometimes working on new tacks. On this one I never seem to stall. You feel it coming and it pumps much better than my last foil so you just kick in with the back leg and your good. The pumping is a major difference. I ride with a lot of little rear foot pushes in my hard corners or "off the lip hits" and this foil responds with much more drive. It's also a lot lighter than my last one, so those quick pump direction changes feel nice and snappy. I'm missing my surfboard a lot less than I did last year.

I wasn't going to jump up to a carbon foil for another few years, as I was pretty happy with my last foil and still content on the learning curve, but when I broke it, I had already done most of the research. Only took a couple of hours to break down and order the lift. It was shipped the next day and arrived across the globe two days later. I sessioned it twice within a week of breaking the old one. Really appreciated that. The custom fit covers are a really nice detail. My choice was driven by much the same factors as initially choosing the Zeeko I started on. The company has a clear track record of their own R&D. Lift have been making carbon foils for over a decade and had a big retooling after their shop in PR burnt down. They came back strong, so I figured they not only knew something about foils but had the opportunity to tweak construction/manufacturing with a 2.0 shop set up. They have a sizeable lead in producing E foils, so I figured they likely also have pitch stability over a broad speed range figured out and... they do. I also liked that they are through and through surf oriented. Their goals in foil design felt most compatible with my riding goals, so I gave them a try. Have not been disappointed.

I don't get ocean surf, so I am not looking to surf without a kite, but I have ridden the Lift behind a boat and it is as nice there as it is with a kite. Just super smooth with none of the fore and aft hip shift when you accelerate down swell or across the wake. That has made my riding a lot more fun. I no longer really give much consideration to the fact I'm on a foil and just ride. The terrain ahead gets all my focus and I can ride with more aggression. Have yet to take it to the beach for some proper waves, but can tell all the "training" this summer at my local will pay off in spades when I get there this fall. Stoked to have that still ahead!

Foiling has been my focus for the past few seasons, but even last year I was quick to hop on my TT when the wind hit 20 knots. Not so much any more. This foil has made things easy enough at this point in my progression that I can ride hard but stay dry as long as I want while still tacking and jibing and 360ing my heart out. It's stepped me up to a level of competence I though would take a few more years, and now I'm afraid to say, I have turned the corner. Might never replace my twin tip gear as it ages.

This review is based on about 20 sessions in a wide variety of conditions.

Peace.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
riddim1 (Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:05 am)
Rating: 3.03%

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:20 pm

GuillaumeCoteMenard wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:42 am
Nice post, i was just about to ask for a real user review (not seller) of the 170 for kite foiling... Couldn’t really find one yet...
Thank in advance! ...:)
I have the smaller 110 wing and really like it, the 170 classic (last year’s one-piece 170) gets pretty much universal appraise from kiters that try it. I don’t know if this new 2-piece 170 is the same shape as the 170 classic or not, so I think it is still unknown if it is as good for kiting. I’m kind of surprised that lift doesn’t get more attention than it does, they make a really nice kit that is reasonably priced.

For what it is worth, I think this 2-piece design solves the only problem there was with previous lift wings- hard to travel with.

geokite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Mission Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sherman, Belmont
Style: Surf, Foil
Gear: Avoid the Triton foil board, made by Newind!

B: [Firewire SP, Kanaha MM, Triton] F: [Lift, Triton, Axis] K: [Kitech, Gin]

Postby geokite » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:12 pm

From the looks of those modular wings, they look like the 170 fish (cept the fish has a flat fuselage toward the rear). The thicker front wing (compared to the classic) will get you up with less forward speed, but is not as pitch stable as the classic. Stalling is much more abrupt. Much more maneuverable than the classic.

I learned on the 170 classic, and now ride it in open ocean conditions. I ride the 170fish in flat water conditions.

riddim1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Australia
Favorite Beaches: Spot X
Style: wave, foil
Gear: Naish, Firewire, Duotone, Lift

Postby riddim1 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:58 pm

Thanks for the thorough review Jumptheshark.

I have almost identical thoughts on the Lift 170 Classic I purchased new recently with the 36” mast. I considered the Surf Wing but decided on the Classic due to the simplicity of two bolts attachment and a more kite friendly (thinner) foil profile.

I have had around 15 sessions on it now and in winds ranging from 10 to 20 knots. I’m 185lbs and ride a 100cm pocket board.

Smooth is an accurate description. It planes at very low speeds. I’d say a knot lower than my previous 1100cm2 wing and the top speed is higher (haven’t clocked the max speed yet).

The stall warning is really subtle compared to my last foil. I don't get the sudden change in foil AoA, only a slight dip and a quick recovery.

This foil is really pitch stable. I agree with JTS in that at faster speeds I don’t have to fight to keep the large wing down. I account the large stabiliser to this. I’m surprised at how fast this foil will go considering the size.

The 170 classic is not as manoeuvrable laterally as my last foil (J-Shapes Cruzer). My turns aren’t as tight but I do find speed on the Lift is maintained throughout the turn. It seems to be more a ‘carver’ foil. Again, I attribute this to the larger stabiliser. I believe Lift DNA originates from the surf, so this makes sense.

Another advantage to this setup for me is that it is light enough to float on its side in the water. This makes strapless water starts easy.

After two sessions, I started consistently nailing foot switches, 180 tacks and 360’s so I’m progressing which makes me happy. The only draw back now is that I have to consider a smaller kite due to the 170 Classic’s low wind efficiency.

BigSky
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Duxbury
Gear: Flysurfer, BRM and Lift

Postby BigSky » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:41 pm

I've been using Lift wings for 3 years and love them. I started on the 110 but liked the 130 more. I bought a 170 and it was fine but I always used the 130. I recently purchased the 150 surf wing with a 40 tail. I absolutely love it. The tail is slightly smaller (I may choose the 30) but it's more carvey than the one piece wings. I am a fan of the 150 for sure and I've thought about the 200 as the 170 is too close to the 150. In summary, I prefer the surf wings to the original.

It's so much easier for travel. I have a split board and can fit several kites, harness, mast, wings and wetsuit into a carry on bag that weighs under 40 pounds; 48 pounds in a typical hard sided, rolling suitcase. Call Lift. Nick (founder) is almost always available to get on the phone and help which is why I'm very loyal. Hope this helps. Cheers.
These users thanked the author BigSky for the post:
riddim1 (Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:47 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Jfactor
Rare Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco, 3rd Ave
Gear: Slingshot SST 4, 6, 8, Flite 10m, Lift 110, 170

Postby Jfactor » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:53 pm

BigSky wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:41 pm
I've been using Lift wings for 3 years and love them. I started on the 110 but liked the 130 more. I bought a 170 and it was fine but I always used the 130. I recently purchased the 150 surf wing with a 40 tail. I absolutely love it. The tail is slightly smaller (I may choose the 30) but it's more carvey than the one piece wings. I am a fan of the 150 for sure and I've thought about the 200 as the 170 is too close to the 150. In summary, I prefer the surf wings to the original.

It's so much easier for travel. I have a split board and can fit several kites, harness, mast, wings and wetsuit into a carry on bag that weighs under 40 pounds; 48 pounds in a typical hard sided, rolling suitcase. Call Lift. Nick (founder) is almost always available to get on the phone and help which is why I'm very loyal. Hope this helps. Cheers.

Can you give the measurements on the 150 surf wing without the stabilizer on? I love my 170 but it's a total pain to travel with. Was thinking of moving to the 150 surf if it travels better.

BigSky
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Duxbury
Gear: Flysurfer, BRM and Lift

Postby BigSky » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:37 am

Width (Wingtip to wingtip) is 23 inches and and length is 18 inches. I use a Newind (sponsor on this site) carbon split board.

Return to “Hydrofoil”