Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo / Stringy Foil / Slingshot Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Re: Ozone WASP Wing

Postby juandesooka » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:21 am

Paddling: good one, I have tried a bunch of configurations for paddling in shallow waters or over kelp, but not that one. Looks a little sketchy in waves though. :-)

Leash: I am using a kite reel leash attached to a waist strap. Seems a good option so far

Wind strength: as a beginner on a 5m, I figure I need minimum 15kt, but 20 and above felt ideal. I suspect this will come down as I figure out the efficiencies (much like I started kite foiling with same kite at TT, then eventually dropped 1-2 kite sizes).

Why pursue it: for me, primarily as a supplement to SUP foiling. When it's 17m wave kiting, I am already choosing to sup foil instead, as with a 17m you can't really surf waves properly anyway. When it's 12m wave kiting, it's just starting to be fun on kite surfboard, but if i could SUP foil without having to paddle, that would be awesome. When it's 10m wave kiting or above, I will likely be on kite rather than wing -- unless the wind is super gusty, holey, squally, offshore, or in a no launch possibility area. Another toy in the box = more versatile fun potential.
These users thanked the author juandesooka for the post:
bigtone667 (Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:17 am)
Rating: 10%

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 99
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Alkita boards
Zeeko foil
GK Trix
Enduro9
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast

Postby bragnouff » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:35 am

juandesooka wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:21 am
(...)
When it's 17m wave kiting, I am already choosing to sup foil instead, as with a 17m you can't really surf waves properly anyway. When it's 12m wave kiting, it's just starting to be fun on kite surfboard, but if i could SUP foil without having to paddle, that would be awesome. When it's 10m wave kiting or above, I will likely be on kite rather than wing -- unless the wind is super gusty, holey, squally, offshore, or in a no launch possibility area. Another toy in the box = more versatile fun potential.
Assuming your 10m wave kiting starts around 16-17kts, does that mean the Wing/SUP foil now replaces kitefoiling in the sub 15kts range?

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster

Postby juandesooka » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:38 am

bragnouff wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:35 am

Assuming your 10m wave kiting starts around 16-17kts, does that mean the Wing/SUP foil now replaces kitefoiling in the sub 15kts range?
Remains to be seen, but that's the hope. Not necessarily that I won't 12m wavefoil any more, as there's lots of special days in that category. More hoping that it's doable in that 12-15kt range, so it presents another option on the right day. For example, one sup foil spot I like is quite wind shadowed on the takeoff, but way down the beach where the foil ride ends the wind is filled in. So it's not really kiteable on most days, but could be epic if I can sup foil 500m rides and not have to paddle back or do the walk. The questions are how low I can get the low end range, and how efficiently it will plow back upwind. May be pipe dreams, we'll see.
These users thanked the author juandesooka for the post:
bragnouff (Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:57 am)

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: Ozone, Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby deniska » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:45 am

Horst Sergio wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:20 pm
Thanks Gunnar,
for allready showing a nice technique to go through the shore brake and much other situations.
I am sorry but the videos in the root post show no visible shore break.
My guess is that in real semi-strong ocean conditions this technique will end up with either castrating the surfer or/and slicing the wing..
gmb13 wrote: With bigger wings and the 4m Wasp I have been able to get well under the 20knot limit. Today I was out on my Indiana 115 Foil when others where out on 12m kites. I was riding the little bumps forming out between the islands. So much fun.
Would I prefer boosting in those conditions? Hell no. I only go boosting on a TT when it over 30knots.
Maybe you found your new zen, man. Who knows maybe it's superfun. But given that you use hydrofoil with the thing.. I am sure you can do decent boosting on it in 15-20kts with ozone foil kites that you promote... sorry but some of the comments do seem like a bit of shilling for the new fad... saying that with respect.. :-)
Why do we see it in a kite forum anyways?

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:41 am

Why do we see it in a kite forum anyways?

Because it could potentially interest kitesurfers but you are right it has nothing to do with kitesurfing as a kite by definition has lines, closer to windsurfing if anything.

slowboat
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:54 am

juandesooka wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:21 am
Paddling: good one, I have tried a bunch of configurations for paddling in shallow waters or over kelp, but not that one. Looks a little sketchy in waves though. :-)

Leash: I am using a kite reel leash attached to a waist strap. Seems a good option so far

Wind strength: as a beginner on a 5m, I figure I need minimum 15kt, but 20 and above felt ideal. I suspect this will come down as I figure out the efficiencies (much like I started kite foiling with same kite at TT, then eventually dropped 1-2 kite sizes).

Why pursue it: for me, primarily as a supplement to SUP foiling. When it's 17m wave kiting, I am already choosing to sup foil instead, as with a 17m you can't really surf waves properly anyway. When it's 12m wave kiting, it's just starting to be fun on kite surfboard, but if i could SUP foil without having to paddle, that would be awesome. When it's 10m wave kiting or above, I will likely be on kite rather than wing -- unless the wind is super gusty, holey, squally, offshore, or in a no launch possibility area. Another toy in the box = more versatile fun potential.
Still trying to understand the appeal of this to kiters. You talk about wave kiting (17 and 12 meter) compared to SUP foil or Wing foil but what about KITE foiling? People talk about using the Wing in 16-17 knots. That is a great 3 or 4 meter kite foiling day with decent waves in many places. A single skin kite will get you upwind nicely and then essentially "disappear" as you foil the waves.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: Ozone, Core

Postby deniska » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:42 pm

slowboat wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:54 am
Still trying to understand the appeal of this to kiters. You talk about wave kiting (17 and 12 meter) compared to SUP foil or Wing foil but what about KITE foiling? People talk about using the Wing in 16-17 knots. That is a great 3 or 4 meter kite foiling day with decent waves in many places. A single skin kite will get you upwind nicely and then essentially "disappear" as you foil the waves.
Precisely..
The only pro arguments seem to be:
-trying something new (nothing wrong with that)
-use in places where kiting is prohibited..
Other than those 2, there is very little appeal to existing kite foilers.. Unless they figure out how to sit down and hold your beer while winging, I am not interested. :-)

I think their main target audience are surfers who bought up on SUP/FOIL hype and realized that SUPs are a bit lame in 90% of use cases and that you can't pump those surf foils for more than 10 seconds w/o having a heart attack, unless you are Kai Lenny..

BWD
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby BWD » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:40 pm

Naysayers are missing the point, it is about the feeling. Those who have learned to use the wings say they like them. That's about it. Sports are for fun.
Some of the videos look cool, some look boring or slow.
The feeling/experience of a sport doesn't always show through on a video.
It is more like a kite than a windsurf sail, maybe kites don't always need strings. Sailboat spinnakers are called kites, even though usually they fly from 2 hard or even fixed points...
The higher speed and dynamics of kitefoiling in lighter wind are had to turn down though, no plans to give that up!
These users thanked the author BWD for the post:
juandesooka (Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:54 pm)

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster

Postby juandesooka » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:09 pm

deniska wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:42 pm
slowboat wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:54 am
Precisely..
The only pro arguments seem to be:
-trying something new (nothing wrong with that)
-use in places where kiting is prohibited..
Other than those 2, there is very little appeal to existing kite foilers.. Unless they figure out how to sit down and hold your beer while winging, I am not interested. :-)

I think their main target audience are surfers who bought up on SUP/FOIL hype and realized that SUPs are a bit lame in 90% of use cases and that you can't pump those surf foils for more than 10 seconds w/o having a heart attack, unless you are Kai Lenny..
I love kite foiling in waves. It’s what I spend half my year doing, so I’m a member of that club. But I’m a surfer first, and personally I do not find kite foiling is even close to the feeling of freedom of surfing or surf/sup foiling without a kite, relying only on the wave’s energy. My hope is to use the wing to get propelled into waves, then once surfing the wave, you let the wing luff/float. In effect, it is tow-in foil surfing but without requiring a jet ski and driver. Nor having to worry about keeping a kite in the air in funky wind conditions. You can armchair speculate on that or you can listen to Gunnar’s first person report from DOING IT: “It is so much fun to use the wing with a supfoil board and so much more free on waves compared to using a kite or windsurf sail”

re: sup foil hype. I guess that refers to me, as I have fully bought into this hype -- and SUP foiling is the most fun I have had in the surf in 10 years. I have seen video of my myself and it’s shockingly lame compared to how fun those waves were. I expect wing-assisted sup foiling will look even lamer. But I have to laugh at the grumps in my local, standing around a smoky beachfire in the rain drinking lukewarm beer, grumbling about terrible surf and cracking jokes about me ... meanwhile I'm grinning ear to ear and stoked as can be. To each their own I guess. :thumb:
These users thanked the author juandesooka for the post (total 2):
slowboat (Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:50 pm) • SparD (Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:03 pm)
Rating: 20%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:37 pm

You can’t really fault a guy with an attitude like that.

Return to “Hydrofoil”