Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Inflatable Hydrofoil boards, are we there yet?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
reyrivera
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Santa Cruz, CA.
Alameda, CA.
Pittsburgh, CA.
Style: Strapless boards
Gear: Caution Kites
Home made C kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Inflatable Hydrofoil boards, are we there yet?

Postby reyrivera » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:39 pm

I am really interested in getting the Manta surf foil board as a travel board, might be a decent compromise to use with a single fin (although fin might be forward a bit) for regular surfing or can be used for hydrofoil surfing/kiting. I don't mind the limitations of inflatable short surf boards as I used to own one.

The inflatable board is also a perfect fit in my luggage so I have zero chances of having to pay board fees, kite and board can fit in one luggage. I know these are fairly new, but anyone here has a chance to try these boards?

My main concern: I basically don't want to buy one only to find out on my first day of use the board get ripped apart from pressure of normal use and find my foil at the bottom of the ocean.

Manta Surf Foilboard
4.5 kg (9.92 lbs), 150x50x12 cm (4.9'1.6x0.39') , 72L, Deep Tuttle connection
https://www.mantafoils.com/e-shop/Infla ... p142975020

Other boards:
-------------------------------
Manta SUP Foilboard
8.5 kg, 225x78x12 cm, 170L, Deep Tuttle connection
https://www.mantafoils.com/e-shop/170-I ... -p99470283

----------------------------------
Indiana Surf Foilboard
4kg, 4'1" 19" x 2" (125x48x2 cm), 25L, track connection
http://www.technosurf.ch/en/board/3918- ... -2019.html

Gunnar's Review of Indiana foilboard

----------------------------------
F-One Surf Foilboard, Rocket Air Surf
4'2" x 20" (127 x 51 cm), 51L, Tuttle box connection
5'0" x 21" (152 x 53.5 cm), 65L, Tuttle box connection
5'8" x 22" (73 x 56 cm), 75L, Tuttle box connection
https://www.f-one.world/product/rocket-air-surf/

F-One Surf Foilboard, Rocket Air SUP
https://www.f-one.world/product/rocket-air-sup/
6’11 x 28" 211 x 71 cm 136 L, Tuttle box connection
7’6 x 30" 229 x 71 cm 168 L, Tuttle box connection
7’11 x 31" 241 x 79 cm 185 L, Tuttle box connection
These users thanked the author reyrivera for the post:
Horst Sergio (Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:37 am)
Rating: 10%

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; SPI; La Ventana
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Slingshot Turbine 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/91/105cm masts 590/683s wings, Tim's 36" "woody", Slingshot Micro 3'6", MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot SST 5m 2018 $500, Slingshot SST 6m 2018 $600, Slingshot SST 10m 2017 $500, Core XR4 10m $840, Core XR4 13.5m $970, Core XR4 17m $1060, Slingshot Turbine 5m 2017 like new $450, BROkite carbon board 140x44 like new complete $650, Slingshot Rally 6m 2017 like new $530, 2019 Slingshot Guardian 20" (or 17") brand new $290, 2018 Slingshot Guardian 20" bar $190

Re: Inflatable Hydrofoil boards, are we there yet?

Postby grigorib » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:57 pm

You should also consider following:
- inflatable is heavier
- inflatable board pumps to 15+ PSI which you won’t produce with your ordinary kite pump
- splitboard would serve the travel purpose way better
- airlines got really easy on kite equipment recently

norcom
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:00 am

I have the F-one SUP inflatable wind-foilboard. Its a windsurf crossover. It’s much lighter than my other SUP wind-foil board. You can use the SUP pump on your kites if you get the proper adapters. I used to use them exclusively because I liked the taller pumps; easier on my back. The board is quite durable and handles the impacts better than rigid boards. Also nicer on the knees but probably wont matter unless you surf it. It does feel noodly though my guess is that the shorter surfboards are probably stiffer. I dont know if Fone fixed the issue but their “deep tuttle” box is not a standard deep tuttle. My GoFoil fits but it’s not perfect. There are gaps and it sticks out a little far. A standard deep tuttle windsurf fin doesn’t fit properly in it either. The one shop in Cali that sells these boards is dumb and they dont know wtf they’re talking about if you ask them about deep tuttle. Just something you should be aware of. Otherwise I like the board.
These users thanked the author norcom for the post:
reyrivera (Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:01 am)
Rating: 10%

reyrivera
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Santa Cruz, CA.
Alameda, CA.
Pittsburgh, CA.
Style: Strapless boards
Gear: Caution Kites
Home made C kites

Postby reyrivera » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:01 am

Thank you for the feedback @norcom. I still own a 10 foot inflatable paddle board, I know about the noodly feeling even though its pumped real hard.

I used to own a 5'4" ULI shortboard I bought used. It is stiff and does not have the noodly feeling when I'm on it. I loved it because when my wife and I travel, we have to go compact because we go to remote areas. Unfortunately the board got ripped up on a reef break while we were surfing on a remote area only accessible to outrigger pump boats. My leash snapped, and the board was damaged beyond repair.

The Manta boards looks like they are compatible with my foil, I have a F4 with a straight deep tuttle similar to your GoFoil. It seems though the Manta board might be using a slanted deep tuttle which will be an issue for me because my surf foil will have an angle which will make it wanna breach all the time, at least harder for me to control. I may have to chat with a rep on their tuttle setup.

I was looking at the F-One initially, but it looks like they use a standard Chinook tuttle. It can be a frustrating experience if the rep does not know anything about tuttle connection compatibility. If I'm gonna get this board, I know I will need to get some kind of adapter so I don't get additional angle to my foil.

MaximumAC
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay, Assateague MD
Style: Foil; Freestyle
Gear: North Rebel/Neo; Flysurfer Soul and Peak4; Slingshot and Moses foils

Postby MaximumAC » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:24 am

Bought the F-One SUP inflatable (7'6") and slingshot tuttle adapter for my slingshot foils and masts. Nightmare...epoxy everywhere (trying to adapt). Needless to say I was not aware of what i was getting into in the tuttle world. The board itself seems top notch though.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:10 am

Gunnars awesome...

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Favorite Beaches: Every puddle I can find in Central Europe,
the unpopular the better
Style: SLOW STYLE & stuntkiting
Gear: Just MONOFOILS, no training wheels ;-)
OZONE chrono; FLYSURFER sonic²/r, peak4; CONCEPTAIR firefly; DUOTONE foilwing
Brand Affiliation: KITEJUNKIE.com 's prank monkey

Postby Horst Sergio » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:15 am

I ordered the Manta, which should arrive this or the next week.
I will come back with feetback here.
My impression is that Manta and Fone are from the same manufacturer, so good to know there can be issues with the exact size of the box which seems to be in both cases a close to GoFoil one, which normaly should fit all 3 Chinook heads. I wanted straps so choosed the Manta.

To me inflatablility was not the first reason to order but that for the upcoming shapes for wingfoiling with a quite normal small outline, but massive thickness and therefore volume in the range of riders weight till now you have just few customades in Hawaii but no serial boards. The manta and Fone seems to be the only close to that.

The Manta is as I understand factory tested with 30 PSI and should be used with 20 PSI at this thickness 11 cm (around double of Indiana!) I would expect the stiffness could be acceptable even if it does not have as many reinforcements as the Indiana which would be anyway to small for my demands. You will need not just a normal iSUP pump but one that reaches high pressures better not just close to 20 PSI but one that is seriously made for pressure abouve to easily reach around 20 PSI without breaking the pump or your back. But for sure you wil be able to use this pump for all your other stuff. I decided for the Bravo 101 which goes up to 27 PSI

If the 4,5 kg for a 72 l board with foil connections are true and it is working well, this is an awesome value you nearly won't reach with a hardboard of this volume, especially not with one that you can throw out of an airplane while a foil hardboard will start breaking at less than 1/2 m. If it is like this a bit of a compromise to stiffness could be acceptable. We will see.

norcom
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:24 pm

Here's what my F-One with the GoFoil tuttle look like when fit. There's enough plastic at the bottom of the box that if machined out would fit the GoFoil tuttle perfectly. Though once the bolts are tightened I haven't had any issues windsurfing with the M200 wing, which is big and puts lots of stress on everything. I could add a small shim on the sides but just haven't bothered.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 9.21.20 AM.png

Tomlutz
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Switzerland
Gear: TT, Soul 21, Soul 12, Trigger 9, Nobile Zen Foil, Pansh Genesis

Postby Tomlutz » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:15 am

I am also interested because on my homespot I have to swim out, waterstart the kite (foilkite) and pack it in water. Would be much easier to swim with placing the kite on a good floating board.

But: isn't it more difficult to start because the volume prevents tilting the board, which makes starting with a foil much easier?

Tomlutz
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Switzerland
Gear: TT, Soul 21, Soul 12, Trigger 9, Nobile Zen Foil, Pansh Genesis

Postby Tomlutz » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:35 am

https://remorasucks.com/shop/

this could also be interesting, sucks on any board, even inflatable.

Return to “Hydrofoil”