Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Inflatable Hydrofoil boards, are we there yet?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
gozokiteboarding
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: fort pierce jetty
Favorite Beaches: fort pierce inlet
hatterass and the florida keys, cozumel
Style: wake
Gear: Eclipse 8m,10m, 12m, thruster and 12m kima
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse team rider
Has thanked: 0

Re: Inflatable Hydrofoil boards, are we there yet?

Postby gozokiteboarding » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:40 pm

Tomlutz wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:35 am
https://remorasucks.com/shop/

this could also be interesting, sucks on any board, even inflatable.
So much added drag though...

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:36 pm

gozokiteboarding wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:40 pm
Tomlutz wrote:

So much added drag though...

Does it matter really?

Many use the plate connections also, loads of drag :roll:

Dont like it myself because of that, but only mentally I know, as would mean almost nothing...

8) Peter

irwe
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:37 am

Tomlutz wrote:

I spoke with Remora and they said the plate will not stick to inflatables since the surface is dimpled.

Tomlutz
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Switzerland
Gear: TT, Soul 21, Soul 12, Trigger 9, Nobile Zen Foil, Pansh Genesis

Postby Tomlutz » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:12 pm

irwe wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:37 am
Tomlutz wrote:

I spoke with Remora and they said the plate will not stick to inflatables since the surface is dimpled.
maybe there are infaltables with even surface. On facebook they show a vid, and it seems to work with an infaltable (don't know if link works) if I see it right

reyrivera
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Santa Cruz, CA.
Alameda, CA.
Pittsburgh, CA.
Style: Strapless boards
Gear: Caution Kites
Home made C kites

Postby reyrivera » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:30 pm

Unfortunately, Remora do not ship their product to the U.S.

reyrivera
Medium Poster
Alameda, CA.
Pittsburgh, CA.
Home made C kites

Postby reyrivera » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:37 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:15 am
I ordered the Manta, which should arrive this or the next week.
I will come back with feetback here.
My impression is that Manta and Fone are from the same manufacturer, so good to know there can be issues with the exact size of the box which seems to be in both cases a close to GoFoil one, which normaly should fit all 3 Chinook heads. I wanted straps so choosed the Manta.

To me inflatablility was not the first reason to order but that for the upcoming shapes for wingfoiling with a quite normal small outline, but massive thickness and therefore volume in the range of riders weight till now you have just few customades in Hawaii but no serial boards. The manta and Fone seems to be the only close to that.

The Manta is as I understand factory tested with 30 PSI and should be used with 20 PSI at this thickness 11 cm (around double of Indiana!) I would expect the stiffness could be acceptable even if it does not have as many reinforcements as the Indiana which would be anyway to small for my demands. You will need not just a normal iSUP pump but one that reaches high pressures better not just close to 20 PSI but one that is seriously made for pressure abouve to easily reach around 20 PSI without breaking the pump or your back. But for sure you wil be able to use this pump for all your other stuff. I decided for the Bravo 101 which goes up to 27 PSI

If the 4,5 kg for a 72 l board with foil connections are true and it is working well, this is an awesome value you nearly won't reach with a hardboard of this volume, especially not with one that you can throw out of an airplane while a foil hardboard will start breaking at less than 1/2 m. If it is like this a bit of a compromise to stiffness could be acceptable. We will see.
-------------------------------------------------------
I am looking forward to your feedback, it would be awesome too if you can take a picture of the tuttle connection on the board.

I sent an email to Manta, got a quick reply from Renaud:

My email:

Hi,

I am very interested in buying your Inflatable surf foil/kitefoil board - 72L, I have a specific question about the tuttle connecion compatibility.

I currently own a custom F4 surf/sup hydrofoil which has a straight deep tuttle connection which is an exact identical configuration with the GoFoil masts.

In your website, the Inflatable 72 documentation indicate that the board should be compatible with my setup. The document (brochure_mantafoils_2019_jpg) shows a Chinook Deep Tuttle (slanted) at the far bottom right, but also indicate that the board has a Deep Tuttle Fin Box universal size.

My question:
On the board, the female universal deep tuttle fin box, is the box flat or does it have an angle to match your Manta foil setup?

Details:
The reason I ask this is because my F4 foil is sensitive to angle changes. If the tuttle connection on the board has an angle, I will not be able to use your board. My forward leg will be forced to keep the board down all the time to compensate for the angle, and that is not fun. I tried installing my foil on an angled deep tuttle board connection, and it was a miserable experience (old Gras board).

My alternative is to buy your f1800 setup as well, but I can't afford to buy another foil at the moment. If I do buy a complete foil setup, I would like to try one out, but I can't find any of your representative in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Renaud from Manta wrote: Hi. Our universal box inside the inflatable 72 is a flat bottom suitable for any Tuttle based fin head.

All The Tuttle share the same front and back slop angle of 10 degree. Only the top end is different is angle and depth. It is quite usual for Tuttle foils to rotate in the box due to the front load and this happens in any Tuttle fin box.

This is why our mono foils have a flange that keeps away the Tuttle from any unwanted rotation.

If you face such issue the good practice is to make a spacer inside the fin box that prevents your mast from moving inside.

So in conclusion yes your foil will fit in. We designed this shape to fit gofoils and many of those shaped fin box sold for gofoils users

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Favorite Beaches: Every puddle I can find in Central Europe,
the unpopular the better
Style: SLOW STYLE & stuntkiting
Gear: Just MONOFOILS, no training wheels ;-)
OZONE chrono; FLYSURFER sonic²/r, peak4; CONCEPTAIR firefly; DUOTONE foilwing
Brand Affiliation: KITEJUNKIE.com 's prank monkey

Postby Horst Sergio » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:37 pm

Hi reyrivera,

never had Remora in my hand but the products with its feature and limits feels easy to understand to me, which means I don't expect to ever buy one.

Here are the pics from the Manta 72. The board arrived with a simple but good transport bag and what I didn't expect with a pretty good pump for pressure up to 27 PSI (20 is recommended). So similar to the Bravo 101 I ordered aswell but actually also could be to keep the original one. The first impression of the board is pretty good, with 20 PSI it is really stiff. The straight tuttle all box is 68 mm deep and the tuttle box fin and the chinook (half deep) tuttle adapter from Gong both fits just perfect. Just the Gong Go foil adapter which I already cutted in half before seems not to fit perfectly as the radius on its edges is a bit to small, but could not test this, but if buying Gong adapter I would recommend to buy a deed tuttle and build a simple spacer with wood, as I did to prevent the head being pushed deeper into the box which could also overload it.

I will come back with more info when I have tried the board.
Attachments
Manta-72_Tuttle-All-Box-2.jpg
Manta-72_Tuttle-All-Box-1.jpg
These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post:
reyrivera (Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:42 pm)
Rating: 10%

reyrivera
Medium Poster
Alameda, CA.
Pittsburgh, CA.
Home made C kites

Postby reyrivera » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:45 pm

Thank you Horst,

If you don't mind, what are the dimensions of the surfboard deflated and packed? I'm wondering if it will fit in a regular suitcase?

Regards,
Rey

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
the unpopular the better

Postby Horst Sergio » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:06 pm

Hi Rey,

yes suitcase should not be any problem, as the only fixed part is the Tuttle-All-Box, which is as thick as board with about 12 cm.

When I recieved it, it was packed this way, folded 2,5 times so length about 60 cm x wide about 40 cm x high about 20 cm.
Manta-72-folded-1.jpg
Manta-72-folded-2.jpg
First short experience on the water and moving foil connector on land was that you may feel the flex but using such slow foils for wing foiling and in the surf it may not be such a big problem if looking on the overall compromise.
The weight is just great with my Gong mono L ca. 1700 cm² wing about 9 kg overall. Even when used with stabi and trying to pump the influence of the flex doesn't feel to bad. Very interested to see how it will be with a wing foil as now also seen on their webside:

It is very nice with the monofoil that you just let out the air until the nose drops on the top of the front wing and then the package is allready very small without dismounting anything else. On the other hand it was big enough that I was also able to stand on it with 63 kg, but very close to the boarder so most time falling after short time. Also tried to SUP paddle into foiling, but as expected way to less constition and skill for that, but at least seen maybe even with such a setup not impossible, started feeling the wing on the best try.

Hope to come with more info soon.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
the unpopular the better

Postby Horst Sergio » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:39 am

Next Update:
I am happy so far now have used it with 3 different kites (biggest was 5 m² Peak4) and if going unhooked it really feels well for pumping around, for sure neither the best Foil (GONG L) nor the best board for pumping but lets say a combo that weights less then 10 kg and costs less then 1000 € with as much volume that I can stand on it but just in real measurments: 150 x 50 cm outline ... I think you wont find another one actually and not yet talked about the packing size :wink: :D

As you see in the picture I actually have just one strap mounted which fits well for my setup with the stab a bit less angled then orignaly for less drag. If riding it as mono you feel the even bigger step towards much lower drag but unfortunately then the foil mount is a bit to much towards back, but worked when stepping close behind front strap or better remove it aswell. Also riding in the normaly more sensible mono mode the flex of the board doesn't felt annoying. As I said, I think with those slow surf foils this is much less a problem as it is with normal kite foils where you ride double of speed and it is all about stiffness.
So I actually decided to keep the stab also because it is nice to start with the smallest kite out of a gusty hole and first knee on the board until you start foiling to bring you fast and save out till you reach constant winds. I also tried my maybe first knee jibe (normaly when sitting just rodeo style) and it was sucessful with material I nearly never rode or haven't used for long in low winds... means all super easy and nice.
A heavier friend tired it as well was riding a bit till the wind was going down but had some difficulty to start the board. As the board floats with 72 l it is possible but not so easy to water start it the conventional way, if not having enough pressure in the kite (as most for me) I climb on it like on a big surfboard go in knee position (similar as they do wing foiling) and then stand up, which is something again if underpowered can be a bit tricky.

As it is for me first step a toy for wingfoiling I am now waiting for the next well powered wingfoil I get into my hand, very excited to how much better it will work compared to my old selfmade wingfoil board. Hope to have the first jumps, later maybe try to mount a backstrap inbetween the leash conection and the foil conection if this will work.
Kitejunkie-Pumpfoiling.jpg
Kitejunkie-Sitfoiling.jpg
Kitejunkie-Pumpfoil.jpg
Kitejunkie-Pumpfoil-packed.jpg
These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post:
chirojoseph (Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:47 am)
Rating: 10%

Return to “Hydrofoil”