Kiting since: 1970
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Zeeko screws to secure rear stabilizer and fin keep loosening

Postby downunder » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:57 pm

Well

U tried with no fin?

Try it. No noticeable difference.

Still, the Cab SS insert is very small an can probably be embedded in a fin. 20mins job.

In practice, you could drill that fin and install a brass insert like WS fins has. U could even use any fin and get away from proprietary solutions:)

No need for fancy pancy machinists. Any WS shop has small brass inserts, like $1...
These users thanked the author downunder for the post:
mbs (Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:47 pm)
Rating: 10%

DAnderson
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: SWFL
Gear: red T-38, 633, 720, 637, 590, 483, 420, 330
12m soul, 12/9/7 sst, 9/7/5 turbine

Postby DAnderson » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:15 pm

mbs wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:06 am
Previously I had been taking everything apart after each session for easier transport in my car and giving everything a rinse and storing disassembled to avoid potential anodization (stainless screws/ aluminum fuselage).
Since the stainless is not threaded into the aluminum fuselage, removal every use is probably overkill.

mbs
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: Kites and boards

Postby mbs » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:54 pm

downunder wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:57 pm
Well

U tried with no fin?

Try it. No noticeable difference.

Still, the Cab SS insert is very small an can probably be embedded in a fin. 20mins job.

In practice, you could drill that fin and install a brass insert like WS fins has. U could even use any fin and get away from proprietary solutions:)

No need for fancy pancy machinists. Any WS shop has small brass inserts, like $1...
Since the same screws holds the stabilizer wing, going without the fin would mean I would have to shorten the length of the screw and countersink a lock washer and nut into the bottom of the fuselage, a much bigger job than putting inserts into the fin.

I still have the first fin with the loose holes - Im going to try to install metal inserts into that one. Thanks Dandersosn and hongchew for the advice.
If I botch that, it'll just be locktight to the new fin and Ill keep the stabilizer wing-fuselage-fin assembled. By the time it rusts Ill be ready for some new gear probably anyhow.

Wazza Foil
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Hams
Style: Kite surfing strapless. Foil, SUP and ka
Gear: lots

Postby Wazza Foil » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:14 am

I had same issue however at the same ti.e I wanted to try a smaller vertical fin
I obtained a twin tip board fin drilled maximum length holes taped a thread and no problems.
No need for inserts.

mbs
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: Kites and boards

Postby mbs » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:11 am

Success. The screws will never loosen by themselves again, and I can still take it apart whenever I want to dissemble for travel or to wash. Installing Inserts was a better option than gluing, and was a really quick job once I had the parts that I needed. Problem no more!

I was advised against using the helicoil to go instead for a more solid piece of hardware (thanks jfactor). I wound up using e-z lock stainless steel threaded inserts M5-0.8 internal threads to fit the 5mm zeeko back screws. The M8 external threads on the insert had just enough clearance for the width of the fin, but I used a drill press and vice to ensure my drill hole was perfectly straight into the existing hole. I needed an 8mm-1.25 drill bit and tap, which came together in a pack. I was able to find the metric size for the drill and tap at my local Home Depot, but Lowe’s which I tried first didn’t have it. The ez-lock inserts come with a dab of red lock-tite already on the outside, but they have a really tight purchase in the tapped hole anyhow, and I didn’t add any other fastener. I got the ez-lock inserts from amazon since I couldn’t find metric stainless inserts in stores locally.

Here is a picture of the finished job:
D480AFB5-CCD4-4C78-B928-296B0E2BF8E9.jpeg
And here is a picture of the parts I used:
38FF3ADF-5E62-43E6-BC8B-2BC2678F2481.jpeg
Zeeko really should consider producing the fins with inserts, or at least tapping the holes better because the machine screws just don’t hold well in the fins. I hope this helps for anyone else who keeps stripping the holes in the fin for the aluminum foil series.
These users thanked the author mbs for the post (total 2):
Foil (Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:17 am) • downunder (Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:24 am)
Rating: 20%

Return to “Hydrofoil”