Anyone tried foiling with a wing?

Forum for wing surfers
cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Anyone tried foiling with a wing?

Postby cglazier » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:29 am

I have had at least ten people try my Duotone 5m wing with my 96 liter board and 2000 sq cm foil. All of them were experienced kiteboard foilers and almost all of them got up foiling in their first session and came back with a smile on their faces. Those with windsurfing skills have had the quickest success since it is really close to windsurfing (and being young seems to help too :lol: ). Flat water and steady wind are very nice when starting. Most of us need about 15 knots of wind but those with pumping skills can get foiling in less.
Anyway we are all having fun.

;-) CG

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:41 am

Waterstarting.

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:07 am

I reckon it would be cool to have a water drone with a retractable tow leash that tows you out back and into a wave then follows you with a GPS arm band for when you're ready for a tow again. Doesn't need to go fast 15-20kph, size of a lawnmower, maybe something to detect other water users and not smash into them, electric to keep the noise down and be environmentally friendly. Maybe the cost of two of these wings lol...

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:08 am

I was gonna try and build one using a RC boat but I realised I had no idea electrically or mechanically lol

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:59 am

Macster wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:08 am
I was gonna try and build one using a RC boat but I realised I had no idea electrically or mechanically lol
Maybe build a large scale one of these?

scottnorby
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 210
Local Beach: WASHINGTON
HOOD RIVER
OREGON COAST
PISMO BEACH
LA VENTANA
Favorite Beaches: Northern Oregon coast downwinders
Gear: SPACESTICK - Foilsurfer - Wingsurfer
SPACESTICK- 5’3 MICRO convertible surf foil
NAISH - 2020 jet foils
SLINGWING V2
Tomo- Hydroshort
CHANNEL ISLAND SURFBOARDS - 6'8 bandit
FERAL wetsuits
Neil Pryde Armorskin wetsuits

Postby scottnorby » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:06 am

Drones
There are already people experimenting with that
A guy in Hawaii did it last winter....was all over social media

It's likely in the future...makes sense.
Not naturally powered but definitely would be fun to try

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:33 pm

Seeing more of wing potential in waves. Though perhaps more of interest to people who are already into sup/surf foiling. Hookipa has pretty limited options for kiting, either with surf/windsurf priority, or with launch issues -- so maybe the wing opens up sessions that are otherwise not doable. Also, I expect it would be pretty fun to downwind it from there to Kanaha, right through the no-kite airport wave zone.

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:13 pm

don't ditch your windsurf harness lines!
wingfoil harness line.JPG

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:37 pm

Flashing back to the earlier discussions of who these wings are aimed at. They are less efficient than kites or windsurfers, so not surprising that both groups of wind chasers aren't too impressed.

I also follow the sup foil and surf foil forums, where there's lots of surfers with no wind sports experience. Surfers generally hate wind, seems only a small % make the crossover to kiting. One of the most frequents posters on the surf foil forum stated recently that he's getting a little bored in surf foiling, having gone at it hard last couple years, and reached a plateau where it's getting repetitive. But he's since picked up a wing and is flipping out stoked. His feedback: "I'll never paddle for another wave again" ... just 6 sessions in and he's winging out, riding waves in with the wing unpowered, rinse and repeat. Though it helps he is in Kanaha Maui, which is about as optimal a set up as you'll find...weak waves breaking way outside, lots of sideshore wind.

Having brought lots of people into kiting and witnessing the froth, I am sure he'd be just as stoked if he took up kiting. But it's interesting that the wing was the easy entry to wind sports, pick it up quick without lessons, and less expensive gear. That's a pretty small target market, compared to the multitudes on sups on lakes, but it's a natural extension ... suspect we'll see a lot more moving across. And then as posters suggested here, no doubt some of these people will carry on to kiting or windsurfing, to expand conditions and capabilities. Wing may be the gateway drug for surfer types. :lol:

It's fun to read this guy's stoke, think back to starting kiting, opened my eyes to a whole new possibility for massive fun. That starting out phase is magic.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:58 am

juandesooka wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:37 pm
Flashing back to the earlier discussions of who these wings are aimed at. They are less efficient than kites or windsurfers, so not surprising that both groups of wind chasers aren't too impressed.

I also follow the sup foil and surf foil forums, where there's lots of surfers with no wind sports experience. Surfers generally hate wind, seems only a small % make the crossover to kiting. One of the most frequents posters on the surf foil forum stated recently that he's getting a little bored in surf foiling, having gone at it hard last couple years, and reached a plateau where it's getting repetitive. But he's since picked up a wing and is flipping out stoked. His feedback: "I'll never paddle for another wave again" ... just 6 sessions in and he's winging out, riding waves in with the wing unpowered, rinse and repeat. Though it helps he is in Kanaha Maui, which is about as optimal a set up as you'll find...weak waves breaking way outside, lots of sideshore wind.

Having brought lots of people into kiting and witnessing the froth, I am sure he'd be just as stoked if he took up kiting. But it's interesting that the wing was the easy entry to wind sports, pick it up quick without lessons, and less expensive gear. That's a pretty small target market, compared to the multitudes on sups on lakes, but it's a natural extension ... suspect we'll see a lot more moving across. And then as posters suggested here, no doubt some of these people will carry on to kiting or windsurfing, to expand conditions and capabilities. Wing may be the gateway drug for surfer types. :lol:

It's fun to read this guy's stoke, think back to starting kiting, opened my eyes to a whole new possibility for massive fun. That starting out phase is magic.

i think you hit the nail on the head...

these things were made for...and are IDEAL for folks on the north shore of maui.
in particular beaches under the flight path of the airport and in the precious windsurf areas that they dont want tainted by us sullied heathen known as kiteboarders...
i'm certain there are kiters in similar "less free" parts of the world that are are oppressed by similar byzantine laws (those are areas i'd expect to see these things)

Return to “Wingsurfing”